Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheelset for Specialized Allez

Hi,

I have a Specialized Allez Sport I am using for commuting and my winter training.

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheelset, requirments being not too expensive as it is meant to do winter miles and alu for rim breaking surface. I was looking at those Cosmic wheels: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Cosmic-Elite-UST-Clincher-Wheelse...

Do you think it is a good buy? Any other good option you can think of?

Thanks!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

no love for fulcrum quattros?

Richbeck | 5 years ago
0 likes

David at DCR wheels

londoncommute | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi

I've got a brand new set of Ksyrium Elite UST that I can't decide whether to sell on or use this weekend for the first time so let me know sharpish if you'd be interested in them at all and if you're near London.

Thanks

bobbinogs | 5 years ago
1 like

If you are looking for a set of wheels to cope with commuting and winter training then I would get a set for the job.  Riding in cruddy weather will have you grinding those rims down with a lovely paste.  Hence, before you know it, you could end up throwing away a nice set of wheels just because the rims are down to ~0.7mm.  I would be looking at spending a little extra and getting some handbuilts, as I did when I got fed up throwing away back wheels with perfect hubs.  There are lots of options and a decent wheel builder will help you with rim choice, replaceable spokes and some hubs that stand up to the damp and fit your maintenance preference (cup and cone for me, you may prefer replaceable cartridges but will need a puller, etc.).

The winter wheels on my Allez weigh ~1550g and initially cost £500 but they have been rebuilt 3 times now (so a bit like Trigger's broom). You don't need to spend that much (I spent extra on lovely DA hubs which will last longer than me as long as I look after them). I call them "winter wheels" but they would easily suit mid-summer romps too!

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cosmics are relatively heavy (I have a set)

+1 for Zondas (I had a set and loved them!)

Aurelien | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ok I'll check if there is any good deal coming up on those with black Friday.
For the ksyrium would you recommend the pro or the elite? I'm not sure it's worth paying up for the pro ones given the use I would have of them?

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

I would't bother with Cosmics as they're probably not much lighter than the stock wheels and the rim is not deep enough to have any aero benefit. 

If you can stretch to Ksyriums then they're a decent wheel which are a fiar bit lighter. 

Zonda's are a good shout, it would also be worth checking Hunt Wheels out. 

Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Campag Zondas often come up in threads like these.  I am using a set at the moment.  Fulcrum 3s are  much the same if you can get a better price.

I have split winter duties now to a real commuting hack that I wouldn't spend that much on wheels and a winter club ride bike which has something a bit nicer.

Depending on your diligence cleaning and the style of your commute, you can go through rims a bit quick to want to spend alot on it.

Latest Comments