Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stans Sealant Inside a Regular Road Inner Tube Anyone?

So big fan of Mtb Tubeless and was wondering if anyone has ever put Stans Sealant inside a regular road inner tube.  I have a valve core remover so easy to do.  Wondered if anyone has tried it and did it prevent any punctures??

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

No tyre setup is perfect, using sealant whether tubular, innertubes or tubeless is a good choice and will prevent virtually all small punctures.  Lets face it having to repair a flat on the side of the road is a pain even when its in summer let alone chilly winter riding

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

My recently acquired Veloflex Master 25s (plus wheels) had sealant in them from the previous owner. Took the tyres off to line them up properly with the valve stem (sorry, I know the Rules are there to be broken but it's like having a wonky picture on the wall, I can't abide it) and the sealant had worked on three punctures at least. Does mean you end up with the tube stuck to the inside of the tyre but it scrapes off easy enough, even on supple tyres like the Veloflex.

Markus | 5 years ago
0 likes

I put caffelstex in some cheap tubulars at one point. was ok, but I only used them for a while.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yes i do it all the time, it works fine if you put the correct amount in around 75mil.   I tend to use Orange sealant these days, doesnt dry out like stans.  I usually do this if a tubeless tyre has a bad cut and will no longer seal.  Throw innertube and add sealant.  

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
0 likes

What are you going to do after 4-6 months when the sealant dries up and chunks of it fall off into balls of coral like susbtance tumbling around inside your tube? Ignore the sound, or replace the tube?

khaostik | 5 years ago
0 likes

Not to scare you, but with no tubes alpha 340 and conti supersonic inner-tubes plus no tubes sealant I had more than one blowout.

I have to admit that the fault could have been from the rims which are known to be dangerous.. Nevertheless I've never tried it again.

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
2 likes

You can buy a 'slime' inner tube that's aims to do the same thing but from experience, they are useless at road pressures. They will simply make a mess and cost twice as much...and add unnecessary weight

hawkinspeter replied to EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

You can buy a 'slime' inner tube that's aims to do the same thing but from experience, they are useless at road pressures. They will simply make a mess and cost twice as much...and add unnecessary weight

I've tried those and wasn't impressed.

rogermerriman replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

StoopidUserName wrote:

I've tried those and wasn't impressed.

back in the day I tried it on a MTB and it was frankly not worth it, but I have fitted them to my gravel bike, which due to my weight and dislike of tyres squirming I run at 60psi or thereabouts so far seems to have stopped punctures from flint and what not. Or I haven’t had any? But either way not changing a tube in the rain is a plus!

maviczap | 5 years ago
1 like

I read somewhere that if you only put a small amount in the tube, then the chalk inside the tube will cause it to ball up and it will cease to be fluid, which does make sense.

But I'm going to give it a go, can't hurt can it?

HarryTrauts | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a feeling GCN did this a while back.  I'm sure it's possible and is likely to be useful in some cases.

Latest Comments