Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is a Non Foldable Gatorskin more expensive than a Foldable One?

Looking for some more puncture resistant winter tyres and gatorskins seem to have a strong following but confused by Folding (£34) and Non Folding  (£23)?  Not worried about weight just fewer punctures specs below but not that much detail so any rubber experts out there?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-Ultra-GatorSkin-DuraSkin-Cycle/dp/B...

£23...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-Ultra-GatorSkin-DuraSkin-Cycle/dp/B...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Tjuice | 5 years ago
0 likes

I too can vouch for GP 4 Seasons.  I have ridden them as my winter/poor weather and commuting tyres for years in the city and in the countryside.  I have had very, very few punctures - not unusual for me to get through a whole year of riding without a puncture.

That said, I like the sound of lower rolling resistance of the Michelins mentioned above - might investigate them when the current set of 4 Seasons wears out (which won't be for many, many months)

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
1 like

Agree. I ran 4 Seasons until my last set wore out. I switched to Michelin Power Endurance (the new version of, and name for, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance). All the same awesome cold weather grip but much, much faster in rolling resistance terms.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

Agree. I am amazed at people who like Gatorskins. They are heavy and have horrible wet grip. Conti Four Seasons are faster, just as, if not even more puncture resistant, but are lighter and have awesome wet grip!

kil0ran | 5 years ago
2 likes

I've used Gators (folding version) for years as my winter tyre. Hard-wearing, easy to fit, can't remember the last time the puncture fairy paid a visit (actually I can but that was my fault, not the tyres - snakebites from riding at too low a pressure). And I'm riding on country lanes strewn with hedge debris, flint, and potholes.

However, they're crap compared to many other options. Dull, lethal over wet drain covers and cattle grids, harsh ride. Much preferred the Conti GP4Seasons I had on one of my other bikes and will go back to those once I kill these Gators (which based on current wear will be in about 5 years time!).

If you can stump up the extra tenner or so I'd go for GP4Seasons. Others will rave about various Schwalbes but I've not ridden those.

Joe Totale replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

I've used Gators (folding version) for years as my winter tyre. Hard-wearing, easy to fit, can't remember the last time the puncture fairy paid a visit (actually I can but that was my fault, not the tyres - snakebites from riding at too low a pressure). And I'm riding on country lanes strewn with hedge debris, flint, and potholes.

However, they're crap compared to many other options. Dull, lethal over wet drain covers and cattle grids, harsh ride. Much preferred the Conti GP4Seasons I had on one of my other bikes and will go back to those once I kill these Gators (which based on current wear will be in about 5 years time!).

If you can stump up the extra tenner or so I'd go for GP4Seasons. Others will rave about various Schwalbes but I've not ridden those.

There's a reason they're known as Skaterskins. Horrible tyres that can destory anyone's love of cycling, I've personally had a couple of falls when using them due to their lack of grip. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now. 

The best winter tyre IMO is the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and they also aren't too expensive at Decathlon. 

kil0ran replied to Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

Joe Totale wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

There's a reason they're known as Skaterskins. Horrible tyres that can destory anyone's love of cycling, I've personally had a couple of falls when using them due to their lack of grip. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now. 

The best winter tyre IMO is the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and they also aren't too expensive at Decathlon. 

I think getting a set of winter tyres you really like is worth the investment. If you're commuting you're going to be spending a lot of time on them and because they're so durable they'll last for years. I'm literally heading for every shard of glass and sharp pothole edge I can find trying to kill these Gators but nothing phases them. Might just ask Santa to bring me some tyre vouchers.

longassballs | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don't know why the non-foldable is more expensive - RRP is always more for foldable as they're better quality. Go for those + won't come in a MASSIVE package.

AfterPeak replied to longassballs | 5 years ago
0 likes
longassballs wrote:

I don't know why the non-foldable is more expensive - RRP is always more for foldable as they're better quality. Go for those + won't come in a MASSIVE package.

I think you might have answered the question here. They probably cost more to store and dispatch because of the awkward size/shape. There is also the added material of the metal ring. Go with the folding.

Latest Comments