Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lincolnshire is not (completely) flat!

Whenever I mention I come from Lincolnshire the reply often includes the word "Flat" - and although that's certainly true for the Southern half; Lincolnshire is itself a BIG county - and the Northern half has it's own Area of Natural Beauty the 'Lincolnshire Wolds' which is definitely not flat.

So last Sunday I set out a 200km audax DIY in the brilliant sunshine to sample a bit of home territory including a new climb for me, Hillcrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EScm5kBru0o

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

imajez | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've been doing a lot of really enjoyable riding in Lincolshire of late and to me it feels relatively flat. The reason being is that a local ride for me in Sheffield/The Peak District will involve a pretty consistent 500m of climbing per 25km, wherever I go. And steep ascents are the norm. I do 150km rides out East and may climb just 450m. Now as those metres climbing are so spread out I barely notice any hills. Though I have done a little ride in the Wolds and that's certainly lumpier, with about 290m climbing per 25km. But it's still very gentle compared to near home. About the only flat places in Sheffield are swimming pools and the two pro football pitches.   3 
Something I have noticed there, is that drivers seem way more considerate in Lincolnshire than most other places. Because they will very often wait until it's safe before overtaking. Shame that wasn't the norm in rest of the UK.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

only 42ft per mile so pan flat right? I hate braggards who deliberately belittle people's efforts, CUK forum has far too many pompous twits, some of whom are hypocrites of distinction.

I got banned for outing one of the resident know it alls for talking utter bs, asked him to prove what he was saying, he couldn't, constantly talks down to people, uses insulting language all the time but is untouchable. The moderation there is a joke, all old boys club, some can say whatever they like and nothing happens, you take someone to task and question their opionion/baseless facts and you get a ban with no warning.

That it descnded into something so off the topic doesn't surprise me.

Richard Lake replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

only 42ft per mile so pan flat right? I hate braggards who deliberately belittle people's efforts, CUK forum has far too many pompous twits, some of whom are hypocrites of distinction.

I got banned for outing one of the resident know it alls for talking utter bs, asked him to prove what he was saying, he couldn't, constantly talks down to people, uses insulting language all the time but is untouchable. The moderation there is a joke, all old boys club, some can say whatever they like and nothing happens, you take someone to task and question their opionion/baseless facts and you get a ban with no warning.

That it descnded into something so off the topic doesn't surprise me.

Yup, I chose to ignore that remark and didn't feel it was worth a response.

Woldsman | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good  stuff. Good ride.

Woldsman | 5 years ago
0 likes

I will watch your full video when I get the chance - do you have a Strava/Garmin link in the meantime? - and I do miss the odd lumpy jaunt south in to Lincolnshire further than, say, Tealby.  What particularly entertained me was that when you posted a link to the same video on the CTC forum the discussions quickly went off on a slanging match tangent detailing the relative merits of publications containing the works of twentieth century English poets.  Priceless. 

Richard Lake replied to Woldsman | 5 years ago
0 likes

Woldsman wrote:

I will watch your full video when I get the chance - do you have a Strava/Garmin link in the meantime? - and I do miss the odd lumpy jaunt south in to Lincolnshire further than, say, Tealby.  What particularly entertained me was that when you posted a link to the same video on the CTC forum the discussions quickly went off on a slanging match tangent detailing the relative merits of publications containing the works of twentieth century English poets.  Priceless. 

I know ridiculous wasn' it?  Here's the link on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1972607805

Bmblbzzz replied to Woldsman | 5 years ago
1 like

Woldsman wrote:

They're always larkin' about on the CTC. 

0 likes

LNER train from Stevenage takes you direct to Doncaster for about £20, which annoyingly is more expensive than going further up to Hull! I can get a long w/e return from Stevenage to Hull for £27.

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
1 like

I've looked at South Yorks to London via Lincoln before...Probably have to put the bike on the train at Saffron Waldon or thereabouts, but do-able.  There's defintely something about 'going somewhere' on a bike rather than just doing loops of the countryside...

0 likes

I've hankered over doing the 157ish miles from mine up to Hull in one go and was definitely wanting to avoid the A15 North of Lincoln (and plenty of it Sth of Lincs also). I've driven up it a fair few times since I went South 30 yrs ago and it's not particularly appealing as a road to cycle on.The route incl through South Ferriby has an elevation change less than 4,000ft so relatively flat overall.

Maybe next year.

simonmb | 5 years ago
1 like

The flatness of South Holland and the Fens is more than compensated for by the incessant winds that blow uninterrupted across miles of open land. Riding the roads of southern Lincolnshire will make a strong rider out of anyone who does it for a season.

mike the bike replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
2 likes

simonmb wrote:

The flatness of South Holland and the Fens is more than compensated for by the incessant winds that blow uninterrupted across miles of open land. Riding the roads of southern Lincolnshire will make a strong rider out of anyone who does it for a season.

Indeed sir.  When I first moved to East Yorkshire I mentioned the never-ending Easterly wind and my neighbour replied, "Aye lad, but thee'll thicken."

1 like

Nice one, aside from that shitty overtake @5:16, just why when there's the rest of the road to use ffs!

The back roads are pretty good in Lincs when the tin canners are not so frequent, low pop density makes it better than most places, similar to East Riding (where it is VERY flat!)

There's a marked 10% at South Ferriby that drops down into the village into an S bend, you can't see the road ahead due to the drop/turn, a 70 degree right at the bottom makes it interesting and you have to hold the outside to keep your speed or if you've got the line/speed wrong there's a junction on the left you can bail to. I think the ToY went along there at some point in the past. There's also plenty of shorter climbs just South of SF, Saxby All Saints toward A15 it's 246ft/.5mile so circa 9%, parallel to that at Bonby up Middlegate Lane toward the A15 it's 223ft/.5mile - 8%.

I never really got to explore West of Hull as a youth, RL was my thing then in the 80s and it wasn't until I was 18 and at college that I did my first audax event, a 70mile BP starting somewhere just outside Hull, crossing at Goole and coming back around via Normanton and over the bridge. glorious sunshine for the first 30mins then peed it down for the next 5.5! A college friend who had been into cycling a while and invited me (and was a rake) bombed off with the rest in a group and I spent much of the rest of the time on my own, thank god I'd brought a proper (non cycling) waterproof jacket!

I did that on a Falcon no name 10 speed I'd originally bought with my paper round money from Halfords, took me out North and East of Hull and to school and college for 3 years, how times have changed in bike tech in 35 years!

Jetmans Dad replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

There's a marked 10% at South Ferriby that drops down into the village into an S bend, you can't see the road ahead due to the drop/turn, a 70 degree right at the bottom makes it interesting and you have to hold the outside to keep your speed or if you've got the line/speed wrong there's a junction on the left you can bail to.

Love that hill. My Dad lives at Goxhill, so very often when I ride over the Humber Bridge to see him I will turn the other way head up Gravel Pit Lane, down into SF then just turn around at the sluice gate, back up the hill and back towards Barton. 

Quote:

There's also plenty of shorter climbs just South of SF, Saxby All Saints toward A15 it's 246ft/.5mile so circa 9%, parallel to that at Bonby up Middlegate Lane toward the A15 it's 223ft/.5mile - 8%.

Danns Hill is also at Saxby, I think. Haven't checked the accurate gradient but is also quite a challenging one. 

Quote:

I never really got to explore West of Hull as a youth ...

Generally pretty flat, but the climb to High Hunsley is nice, with three different difficulty options, including Elloughton and Brantingham Dale. 

Richard Lake replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

Nice one, aside from that shitty overtake @5:16, just why when there's the rest of the road to use ffs!

The back roads are pretty good in Lincs when the tin canners are not so frequent, low pop density makes it better than most places, similar to East Riding (where it is VERY flat!)

There's a marked 10% at South Ferriby that drops down into the village into an S bend, you can't see the road ahead due to the drop/turn, a 70 degree right at the bottom makes it interesting and you have to hold the outside to keep your speed or if you've got the line/speed wrong there's a junction on the left you can bail to. I think the ToY went along there at some point in the past. There's also plenty of shorter climbs just South of SF, Saxby All Saints toward A15 it's 246ft/.5mile so circa 9%, parallel to that at Bonby up Middlegate Lane toward the A15 it's 223ft/.5mile - 8%.

I never really got to explore West of Hull as a youth, RL was my thing then in the 80s and it wasn't until I was 18 and at college that I did my first audax event, a 70mile BP starting somewhere just outside Hull, crossing at Goole and coming back around via Normanton and over the bridge. glorious sunshine for the first 30mins then peed it down for the next 5.5! A college friend who had been into cycling a while and invited me (and was a rake) bombed off with the rest in a group and I spent much of the rest of the time on my own, thank god I'd brought a proper (non cycling) waterproof jacket!

I did that on a Falcon no name 10 speed I'd originally bought with my paper round money from Halfords, took me out North and East of Hull and to school and college for 3 years, how times have changed in bike tech in 35 years!

Yeah I like those hills to the South of South Ferriby, the view on to the Ancolme Valley is wonderful.  I've done Danns Hills, Worlaby (left at T-junction), Horkstow and of course Elsham.  The only ones I have yet to do are in the middle Bonby Bank and Saxby.

I just googled Ancolme Valley to check spelling, in the search results it looks the council have completed or nearly have completed a cycle path from Brigg all the way up to South Ferriby - I've glanced it from Horkstow Bridge in September - must go out of my way to ride it.

PS. I wouldn't consider that a close pass, but correct loads of room on the other side; I just checked the original footage and there was another car right behind it that was much more generous.  1

Zigster replied to Richard Lake | 5 years ago
0 likes

richard_lake wrote:

I just googled Ancolme Valley to check spelling, in the search results it looks the council have completed or nearly have completed a cycle path from Brigg all the way up to South Ferriby - I've glanced it from Horkstow Bridge in September - must go out of my way to ride it.

Still got it wrong, though: it's Ancholme!  1

I went to school at the Vale of Ancholme in Brigg so the spelling is fixed in my mind.

I know the hills you mean - I cycled them a lot on my 12-speed Falcon bought in Brigg.  Reading this article has got me all fired up to visit family when there is a sportive going on.  Thanks.

Latest Comments