Home

Just had to share this one yes  Different attitudes to road safety and privilege, eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46288054

17 comments

CXR94Di2 [2315 posts] 3 weeks ago
5 likes

A driver who had just passed their test would of lost their license in the UK aswell. 

Exceeding the speed limit by 100% would of got 6 points and therefore instant ban under new driver points totting up rule.  

Yorkshire wallet [2372 posts] 3 weeks ago
3 likes

Yeah you're actually on a pretty sort lease rules-wise in the UK but......

Whether you ever get caught is another matter. 6 points for being on the phone could cost your licence but chances of getting nicked are slim.  

Canyon48 [1116 posts] 3 weeks ago
2 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Yeah you're actually on a pretty sort lease rules-wise in the UK but......

Whether you ever get caught is another matter. 6 points for being on the phone could cost your licence but chances of getting nicked are slim.  

This.

I was living in a village close to Bristol until this summer, rarely ever saw police in the local area, loads of locals drove home drunk after being to the pub, loads of people driving whilst on their phones...

I now live further in the South West, there really is no traffic police around here... Plenty of yokels driving without tax/MOT/insurance, I doubt they have licences either.

I could easily drive without tax/MOT/insurance and I would have no worries about getting caught.

janusz0 [214 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Aargh!  Now it's happening on road,cc:

@CXR94Di2 - Please write "would've" just like you say it.

@Yorkshire wallet - Please put youself on a "short leash".

@Canyon48 - "This." is not a a sentence.  "This:" could be the start of one.

Next?

Let's return to normal sprocket talk.

HawkinsPeter [2793 posts] 3 weeks ago
8 likes
janusz0 wrote:

Next?

Shouldn't that be "road.cc"?

simonmb [680 posts] 3 weeks ago
7 likes
janusz0 wrote:

Next?

I agree with you on all of the above except for @Canyon48's use of 'This'.

It has become commonly accepted on internet forums (and therefore, perhaps, now in offline life) as meaning (and I know you know this) 'to agree with the previous / above comment'. It's slang. It's part of the evolution of the language. It's here to stay. Embrace its use, even if you choose not to use it yourself.

Anyway, road.cc is the last place you should visit if you're searching for a bastion of the English language. And, maybe, get over yourself.

FluffyKittenofT... [2298 posts] 3 weeks ago
4 likes
janusz0 wrote:

Next?

"This" is a well-known bit of forum-English.  It adds emphasis by virtue of terseness and minimalism.  The meaning is perfectly clear (do you complain when people in conversation say something like 'exactly!' in response to a comment?)

(Hell, 'Next?' is also 'not a sentence', come to that!)

The other two are just errors, but what can you do?  I think the 'of/have' ship has sailed.

janusz0 [214 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

@simonmb - Of course, I expected to be subject to the inevitability of Muphry's Law.  s/,/./  I've been an Internet dog for 40+ years, so I recognise text based slang too.

As Canyon48 illustrates, "This" all by itself doesn't tell you what the responder is agreeing with.  Once Canyon48 has explained, it's a superfluous distraction,  There was no need for it in the first place!

Custom and practice says that sentences end with a full stop.  I wouldn't have risen to the bait if it had read "This " rather than "This."

I pointed out that: "This:  I was living in a village close to Bristol ..." could be an improvement.

@FluffyKitten > (Hell, 'Next?' is also 'not a sentence', come to that!).

Now you've taken my bait.  It's a truncated sentence commonly used when expecting more of the same.

davel [2711 posts] 3 weeks ago
5 likes
janusz0 wrote:

@simonmb - Of course, I expected to be subject to the inevitability of Muphry's Law.  s/,/./  I've been an Internet dog for 40+ years, so I recognise text based slang too.

If you was on teh Internet 40+ years ago, you would of had to invent it, innitroflmao.

don simon fbpe [2723 posts] 3 weeks ago
2 likes
janusz0 wrote:

As Canyon48 illustrates, "This" all by itself doesn't tell you what the responder is agreeing with.  Once Canyon48 has explained, it's a superfluous distraction,  There was no need for it in the first place!

Custom and practice says that sentences end with a full stop.  I wouldn't have risen to the bait if it had read "This " rather than "This."

I pointed out that: "This:  I was living in a village close to Bristol ..." could be an improvement.

@FluffyKitten - (Hell, 'Next?' is also 'not a sentence', come to that!).  Now you've taken my bait.  It's a truncated sentence commonly used when expecting more of the same.

You're fighting a losing battle. Not only do people not care about their poor use of english, they're proud of it and you are the bad guy for correcting them.

HawkinsPeter [2793 posts] 3 weeks ago
1 like
janusz0 wrote:

Now you've taken my bait.  It's a truncated sentence commonly used when expecting more of the same.

Have a listen to Stephen Fry (and maybe read the cool typography): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

(To be honest, I do get irritated by the use of wrong words (e.g. lose/loose), but you've got to expect internet comments to be informal/careless etc. What bugs me more is the lack of spell-checking in the articles).

CygnusX1 [1099 posts] 3 weeks ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:
janusz0 wrote:

Have a listen to Stephen Fry (and maybe read the cool typography): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

(To be honest, I do get irritated by the use of wrong words (e.g. lose/loose), but you've got to expect internet comments to be informal/careless etc. What bugs me more is the lack of spell-checking in the articles).

This. smiley

2 likes

Surely that is an exclamation that requires an exclamation mark in order to satisfy the grammarists amonst us.

1 like

Okay, Don, This!

(or rather, That!)

1 like

//www.moretvicar.com/media/product/2014/04/30/152_6048_w300.png)

3 likes

Your write its not important correct grammer spelling and puntuation our their four a reason be proud off being wrong.

Yorkshire wallet [2372 posts] 3 weeks ago
1 like

It's called auto-correct. I live with its effects every day. We all do. One day we'll get the auto-correct we all deserve not just the one we need.