Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is commuting worth the risk anymore?

After a dark, wet, eventful commute home this evening, involving three very near misses, I found myself thinking, for the first time in nearly two decades of riding, "is it worth it?". I've cycled to work for as long as I can remember, in all weathers, all year.  It's just part of my routine and I enjoy it, for the most part; certainly preferable to the train or car.  Until now.

There have always been inatentive drivers, drivers in a hurry, drivers on their mobiles, but I've never found it that hard to spot them and position accordingly in order to avoid the risk of contact.  But lately, it seems there's genuine intent on the part of some drivers to put me in danger, or a wilful "I don't give a fuck" attitude that is, frankly, scary.

I'm wondering whether to put the bike away until the days get longer.  And I'm angry with myself for thinking it.  Anyone else having similar thoughts?  Anyone else actually stuck the bike in the garage until spring rolls around?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments