Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyckit's Aeroclam - Worlds Smallest, Coolest most Aero Saddlebag yet?

Myself, like countless cyclists globally have read much saddlebag controversy both here on Roadcc and on many other cyclist forums over the years,  but I’d really like to draw attention to a little known product I’d stumbled across when searching for a nice aero bike saddlebag that was just something out of the ordinary from the usual canvas saddlebags on offer.

I really didn’t want to replace my canvas saddlebag once again only to have the Velcro straps wear through and break…. after they’d made a mess of my paint in the process.

I searched and found a company called Cyckit Ltd and was amazed to see they were a mere two and a half hours drive away in Auckland here in New Zealand.

They design & manufacture very stylish injected moulded saddlebags for Road/Gravel/MTB bikes.

I emailed and got an instant response regarding the P1 Aeroclam model fitting my FIZIK Antares saddle. Great customer service!

I ordered the P1 Aeroclam with the smaller X One Tube and Canister bottom section and also the Larger Lower X Two Tube and Canister bottom section for the extra flat security as I ride over 200kms per week to work on busy debris infested roads and have in the past had two punchers in a day!

The order arrived by courier the next day and the Aeroclam was fitted in minutes… and it looks just fantastic!

Very Aero and is the nicest road bike saddlebag option I’ve ever come across on the market.

My bike just appeared cumbersome with the oversized canvas saddlebag hanging [and swinging] from under the seat but now It’s a thing of sleek beauty once again. The hard shelled saddlebag has really made a huge difference aesthetically to the whole bike. It just looks as though it’s supposed to be there…. when it’s noticed.

I have to point it out to friends it’s so discrete and compact.

It’s not actually even a saddlebag as such but a very refined hard shelled integrated substitute.

Best still, it performs as good as it looks and I love the way the bottoms can be swapped out in seconds.

Just a very well thought out piece of kit that’s everything it’s supposed to be.

It’s everything that canvas saddlebags aren’t but should be.

It was the many Cyckit facebook Independent Reviews that sold me. These are genuine customers expressing their thoughts on the products and service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998Ngw1NtpM

https://web.facebook.com/pg/Cyckit/reviews/?ref=page_internal

http://cyckit.com/image-gallery/

Check Cyckit out at www.cyckit.com

Thanks, Phill Easther,

Tauranga, New Zealand

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
1 like

I need to see more rugged reviews than what BR did. Also, I would have to see and fiddle with it before making a commitment to buy. Cyckit doesn't provide MTBF [mean time between failures) on its plastic hinges and plastic latches. Considering if either breaks/damaged the bag is garbage.

Pilot Pete replied to Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mr Pennington wrote:

I need to see more rugged reviews than what BR did. Also, I would have to see and fiddle with it before making a commitment to buy. Cyckit doesn't provide MTBF [mean time between failures) on its plastic hinges and plastic latches. Considering if either breaks/damaged the bag is garbage.

have you tried contacting Pat and asking? My oldest is over two years old and as good as new. It is very tough. However, it is not waterproof (I don’t think it ever intended to be), which I don’t find an issue - I’m carrying a tube, inflator, tyre levers, patch kit etc, none of which will suffer any adverse effects from getting damp.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm ashamed to admit that I got suckered in by this forum advert and ordered a large one.

So far, I'm liking it. It does look a lot neater than my previous ToPeak saddle bag though it holds less stuff. I'm now having to find somewhere to locate my minipump (a tiny iPump Twist) and have ordered a top tube bag to hold it (and maybe some tasty acorns).

It rattled a bit on my first ride, but I've repacked it using some cloth wrapped round the rattly bits and it's now silent. I have my doubts as to how watertight it'll be in the rain as the plastic is slightly flexible - time will tell.

Pilot Pete | 5 years ago
0 likes

I write the glowing review in the Bike Radar comments linked to their review above. I still stand by it. I have two standard sized Aeroclams and one of Pat’s new deeper base versions. Still more than happy with them and they gets lots of compliments and comments such as “I thought it was part of the saddle”. They work for me...

Pushing50 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I was in the market for a stowage solution and did find the Cyckit AeroClam. It looked like the thing that I was after, so I did my own research. I found the following review 

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/luggage/cycling...

Put me right off the product, so although you were sold on the independant facebook reviews, I am not sold. Sorry.

philmute replied to Pushing50 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pushing50 wrote:

I was in the market for a stowage solution and did find the Cyckit AeroClam. It looked like the thing that I was after, so I did my own research. I found the following review 

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/luggage/cycling...

Put me right off the product, so although you were sold on the independant facebook reviews, I am not sold. Sorry.

Yes, I did my research too and read this. But knowing how picky some pro reviewers are, decided to take the word/experiences of 96 independent facebook cyclists/reriewers who have covered thousands of miles over the course of a number of years.

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
9 likes

Nice cheap advert for you there Phil.  Are you  part owner or on commission?

philmute replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Ha no, just drawing attention to a great Kiwi made product and giving it the merit it deserves. It works for me and will do for most others. 

Mybike replied to philmute | 5 years ago
6 likes

When someone writes 16 paragraphs on a product they bought and like with links to other reviews and where to purchace it. It a free way to advertize a product and should not be on this form

Open your wallet and pay road.cc for advertizment space on this site just like the other companys do. 

I also dont trust facebook reviews Road cc gave it under 3 stars ill take that review a little more seriously then your facebook link.

kevvjj replied to Mybike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mybike wrote:

When someone writes 16 paragraphs on a product they bought and like with links to other reviews and where to purchace it. It a free way to advertize a product and should not be on this form

Open your wallet and pay road.cc for advertizment space on this site just like the other companys do. 

I also dont trust facebook reviews Road cc gave it under 3 stars ill take that review a little more seriously then your facebook link.

Yeh, I'll take the opinion of one, so called 'unbiased'reviewer over a bunch of real world users anyday.

Mybike replied to kevvjj | 5 years ago
2 likes

kevvjj wrote:

Mybike wrote:

Yeh, I'll take the opinion of one, so called 'unbiased'reviewer over a bunch of real world users anyday.

You know more then half of the reviews that are fake and it is really just clever marketing. Some people even get paid by companys to write postive reviews on there products. But when a cycling site give a prduct a poor review due to it size you can bet that it a true statement. Also how many people go buy a product and are so happy with it they feel the need to start a thread about it on a cycling site with links to other reviews and a link to where you can buy it.  This thread is a free advertisment nothing more.

Pilot Pete replied to Mybike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mybike wrote:

You know more then half of the reviews that are fake and it is really just clever marketing. Some people even get paid by companys to write postive reviews on there products. But when a cycling site give a prduct a poor review due to it size you can bet that it a true statement. Also how many people go buy a product and are so happy with it they feel the need to start a thread about it on a cycling site with links to other reviews and a link to where you can buy it.  This thread is a free advertisment nothing more.

when a reviewer for a cycling site gives a negative review due to size you can bet that he felt it needed to be bigger to accommodate what he wanted to carry with him. You cannot ‘bet’ anything else. His opinion may be that the average cyclist may want it to be bigger, but that in itself doesn’t mean all (or even 50%) of reviews of the product are fake. 

I suspect Pat could prove (from order history) that the reviews are from bona fide customers who purchased his product. Having had dealings with him he comes across as a true gentleman and very honest. He sent me two different versions of the clam as he wasn’t sure which one would fit my saddle - he only charged me for one and asked for my feedback so he could add my saddle type to his list. Needless to say he didn’t want me to return the unused one to NZ!

So, saddle bags/ packs come in many different sizes, from minimalist like this and the Continental one, to Carradice sized touring packs that you could fit your lunch (and dinner) in along with your puncture kit. It is horses for courses.

I carry one spare tube, two tyre levers, a Topeak rescue box with chain link and patches, a tyre patch and one CO2 inflator plus inflator head in my clam. Oh, and two varieties of valve extender just in case I need to borrow a mates spare tube.

I have a neoprene wallet (size of an iPhone 4) in which I carry a Lezyne V10 multi tool and additional inflator. This resides in a jersey pocket and has room for additional energy drink powder or a chewy bar.

Im happy to carry my kit like this as the Aeroclam is probably the best looking seat pack that I have seen; and this is the small, minimalist version; there is another option since the Bike Radar review, which is bigger and could hold everything. 

The aesthetics are the best I have come across, everything packs in tightly, nothing rattles and the rubber closure is extremely neat, doesn’t suffer degradation like zips do, works every time and is easy to keep clean. There’s no Velcro to degrade, hang loose, get full of crap or bobble your shorts on.

So there’s an honest opinion from a happy customer. Read into that what you will, but don’t slate a product just because one Bike Radar reviewer said it was too small - opinions are like arse holes - everyone has one, and that particular reviewer felt the product needed to be bigger. Some may agree, others are happy to not have a huge saddle bag and to minimalise how much crap they carry. I personally went from carrying two Conti Supersonic tubes to one ‘normal weight’ tube with patches in case of a double puncture, which I’ve experienced only once...

CygnusX1 replied to philmute | 5 years ago
0 likes

philmute wrote:

Welsh boy wrote:

Ha no, just drawing attention to a great Kiwi made product and giving it the merit it deserves. It works for me and will do for most others. 

He's not part owner - I checked the company's records (75% / 25% split between the inventor Pat Reardon and his lawyer friend Mike Talbot).

Whether Phil is on comission or has some other undeclared link to the company remains to be seen.  If he's on commision, I hope he's being paid by the word - the post above is an essay compared to his review on facebook back in October that was a mere 8 words.

kevvjj | 5 years ago
0 likes

These Aeroclams are a superb piece of kit. So versatile with being able to interchange sizes without having to remove the whole thing. Incredibly light and surprisingly inexpensive for what you get (cheaper than the Brooks item mentioned previously). I like the fact that the Aeroclam leaves your seatpost completely free for lights and other things. I also like the fact that you can take the compartment off before flipping your bike to remove the wheel when you get a puncture - it then takes mere seconds to reattach. Another genuine advantage is the complete lack of zips which can be a real faff when wet and full of road/trail grime. It's not 100% waterproof but way better than anything else I have tried (a very clever design feature keeps your multi tool raised above any water that might pool inside before draining out).

JohnnyRemo replied to kevvjj | 5 years ago
1 like

kevvjj wrote:

...I also like the fact that you can take the compartment off before flipping your bike to remove the wheel when you get a puncture -

You turn the bike upside down?!? 

don simon fbpe replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

kevvjj wrote:

...I also like the fact that you can take the compartment off before flipping your bike to remove the wheel when you get a puncture -

You turn the bike upside down?!? 

Why wouldn't you? Scuffing a saddle is less damaging than fucking up the rear mech.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

I use a Brooks isle of Wight on my carbon bike, it doesn't swing about, it doesn't take off paint, it's easier to fit and remove completely than the product you're using and it's no less aero because my legs fully take all the air and push it completely around the bag. Oh and my bag is deeper too. I can get a sealant cannister in it for my tubs which doubles as an inflation system and IMHO is superior to a bog std CO2 kit. (I always take a pump anyways because shit happens). I can also fit a couple of food bars, mini tool, small tube of suncream for those really long days were you want to re-apply in certain places plus a thin towel as well 9or whatever else I need to put in for any given trip)

Sorry but not seeing how your bit of kit has any real benefit over mine and mine actually looks stylish as well as being functional.

If ity works for you great, I just think it's too small and no aero benefit given its positioning over other offerings.

Simontuck | 5 years ago
1 like

Not sure if they still do them, but a guy in the UK was 3d printing a 'saddle bag'. Stebbles was the brand. He was the guy who made the carbon bike with built in mudguards.

Latest Comments