Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

WHICH GRAVEL BIKE

hi all,in the market for a gravel bike/ winter trainer ,have bianchi infinito cv eps,but looking to get something for local gravel track fire roads and canals as well as some winter training on roads,being looking at three bikes two from Halfords one from chain reaction,these two shops as I have access to a discount but only with these shops bikes looking at are

boardman adv 8.8 

boardman cx team

kona rove nrb

any advice on which bike is better much appreciated,sorry don't know how to put up links .

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

thesubaruguru | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty happy with my two-year old Diverge, but only after ditcing the OE tires and bar. With Compass 38c ExtraLight up front and Scwalbe G-One (35c) rear, and Salsa Cowbell Carbon bar to better fit the long-hooded Shimano hydraulic levers I'm pretty happy.

Squeezing in a 36t rear and a Fabric seat gild my lily just very nicely.

baz69 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just back from Halfords got a spin on both bikes didn't really get on with the adv 8.8 but really liked the cx team but only a short spin not sure on the 1x chainset ,how it would perform on road for training obviously well suited to gravel canals,have no chance to test the kona rove ,so could the more knowledgeable here tell me if there are any advantages with the kona over the cx team ,thanks.

DoctorFish | 5 years ago
1 like

I've got a 2016 Arkose.  It is a bit heavy compared to my Canyon Endurace.  I've fitted mudgauards and a rack, it is my do anything bike, and it does do pretty much anything, and it does it really rather well.  I like it so much I'm treating it to the Ultegra RX800 derailleur for Christmas.

I do sometimes wonder why I still own the endurace.  But then I go for a ride on that and find I still enjoy the lighter faster bike.  Just not as much as I enjoy the "I wonder what is down that dirt track".

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you are going to buy without any chance of a test ride (or sit) then you can only compare the geometry and spec on each and pick one. Even if one of us has ridden all 3 it may be a different size and we'd have different parameters, tastes and preferences.

Have you read road.cc's ADV & NRB reviews?

https://road.cc/content/review/243904-boardman-adv-88

https://off.road.cc/content/review/bikes/kona-rove-nrb-1491-review

Although I am a bit of a Kona fan, the 650b NRB looks overpriced compared to the Boardman pair. Have you considered a Pinnacle Arkose?

Latest Comments