Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble Cycles - A dissapointing end to 2018 and poor start to 2019

Ribble Cycles has had a reputation for excellent cycles supplied with expert advice and production. 

Unfortunately I chose them as a cycle to work scheme partner because of this reputation to discover that the company's culture has changed in the last few years. (Ribble Cycles, a True Capital portfolio company)

Now we have an experience that is very Sales & Marketing biased and has no means to back up the order to delivery commitments.

The website has be updated to imitate an 'app' experience which may well be attractive to use on a mobile device, but totally detracts from the excellent previous levels of selections that the old bikebuilder offered.

This website has caused several different stock statuses on the new line of bikes (CGR AL & SL) during the order process due to IT errors I am told, which has resulted in a pre-order status that could not be even met after that argument was gone. Their supply chain is empty and bikes ordered in September & October '18 are still not being built in January '19, let alone being delivered.

Several Customers have taken to asking questions each time new Facebook posts are put up by the Ribble team, promoting their new products, but the responses are hollow promises to get other team members to get in touch, pm's are requested but no responses given.

Now posts are being deleted to try and quel the disappointment.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

MrClint | 3 years ago
0 likes

I ordered a ribble CGR ALe in May 2019 . Due to lengthy build delays it didn't arrive till October. As a warm weather cyclist this was quite frustrating. 
after using in March just 200miles later is falling apart, front wheel came off , chain disengaged , water bottle bolt sheared off . All after 200 miles of use After contacting them I was told to take to the local bike shop No apology just appalling service Stay away

wazgilbert | 5 years ago
0 likes

One of the first things I did actually was as to put protective tape at all the obvious points; head tube, chain stay at the chain whip position and where the rear mech cable rests on the frame. It wasn’t included.

mike the bike replied to wazgilbert | 5 years ago
4 likes

wazgilbert wrote:

One of the first things I did actually was as to put protective tape at all the obvious points; head tube, chain stay at the chain whip position and where the rear mech cable rests on the frame. It wasn’t included.

Although I've bought several mail-order bikes over the years, from the likes of Boardman, Genesis and Giant, I've never had one to match the delights of unboxing my current Canyon.

The bike was built to perfection, showing immaculate attention to detail.  Little things like the uncanny precision of the bar tape, the complete sweetness of the gear indexing, the tyre logos exactly matching the valves and, yes, the plethora of 'invisible' frame protectors.

These little things inspire great confidence in a company and even now, over a year later, I sometimes look down at the bar-end plugs and smile at the way the logos are aligned absolutely horizontally.  Not almost, or nearly, or thereabouts, but horizontal to a degree only a German could appreciate.  Long may they prosper.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought a bike off them 3 years ago which went without a hitch & TBH whenever I've dealt with them since not had an issue.

Must admit they do seemed to have shifted focus recently especially with the website & not for the better IMHO.

wazgilbert | 5 years ago
0 likes

I had a phone call today at least, and it looks like full steam ahead on the build and delivery.

Hopefully it's a successful delivery on the weekend.

kwmlondon replied to wazgilbert | 5 years ago
0 likes

wazgilbert wrote:

I had a phone call today at least, and it looks like full steam ahead on the build and delivery.

Cool. What you getting? Let us know as soon as anything else happens...

wazgilbert replied to kwmlondon | 5 years ago
0 likes

kwmlondon wrote:

wazgilbert wrote:

CGR Al in FO Orange with a 650b wheelset on a SRAM 1x Hydro groupset.

Just Arrived today and spent the afternoon setting up things how I like it and fitting the mudguards. There were a few things I had to put right with their build, but only little stuff, wiping up spilled brake fluid, annoyingly inside the shifter hoods and greasing the thru axle at one end where one axle was lubed, but the other was bone dry for  some reason.

looks good and I went round the block in my slouching trackies and jumper, and it was surprisingly roadie like, for a quite relaxed 'allroader' / gravel machine.

Nice. Shame they made it such hard work to start with really.

Accessibility f... replied to wazgilbert | 5 years ago
0 likes

wazgilbert wrote:

kwmlondon wrote:

wazgilbert wrote:

CGR Al in FO Orange with a 650b wheelset on a SRAM 1x Hydro groupset.

Just Arrived today and spent the afternoon setting up things how I like it and fitting the mudguards. There were a few things I had to put right with their build, but only little stuff, wiping up spilled brake fluid, annoyingly inside the shifter hoods and greasing the thru axle at one end where one axle was lubed, but the other was bone dry for  some reason.

looks good and I went round the block in my slouching trackies and jumper, and it was surprisingly roadie like, for a quite relaxed 'allroader' / gravel machine.

Nice. Shame they made it such hard work to start with really.

Check they've put frame-protection stickers on near the cables.  They didn't on mine (nearly 10 years ago now) and I didn't notice until the paint was already scratched.

kwmlondon | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well, I've had a bit of a palaver with them. I ordered a Gran Fondo back in September but I got a call saying they'd run out of frames in my size. Waited a few weeks then they said they could not get hold of any more but would I be interested in one of the new range. Sounded good, but the delivery date kept moving back and back. I'm now due to collect on Sunday and am really, REALLY looking forward to it - this'll be the third return ticket I've bought to Birmingham to get my new bike... However, they've done me a very generous deal to make up for it so let's see how things look on Monday.

Latest Comments