Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Woman left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after hit-and-run with cyclist closes East Street in Bedminster

A woman has been left with "potentially life-changing injuries" after she was hit by a cyclist, who fled the scene.

Emergency services closed East Street in Bedminster following the collision which happened just before 9am today (January 15).

The woman has been transported to Southmead Hospital where she is currently being treated for head injuries.

Police are now appealing for information on the whereabouts of the  cyclist who left the scene of the crash.

Officers are currently trying to trace him and have seized a bike as part of their enquiries.

The road remains closed as of 12pm while enquiries continue.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bedminster-police-east-s...

Edit 13th June 2019: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bedminster-east-street-cyclist-crash-2975260

16 months

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

45 comments

jh27 replied to ChrisB200SX | 5 years ago
0 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

Legs_Eleven_Worcester wrote:

It's often difficult to know on which side to come down.  If you run into someone on a bike (or in a car), the 'decent thing' is of course to stop and see if that person is OK.  

But Alliston changed all of that.  

^ This.
I've been arrested for no good reason, lost a day's pay and a night's sleep etc., no fun at all.
It's risky to hang around if you're a cyclist even when you've done absolutely nothing wrong.

It really annoys me when the press report it as 'hit and run' when there is no requirement to stop or report the collision.

brooksby replied to jh27 | 5 years ago
0 likes

jh27 wrote:

ChrisB200SX wrote:

It's often difficult to know on which side to come down.  If you run into someone on a bike (or in a car), the 'decent thing' is of course to stop and see if that person is OK.  

^ This.
I've been arrested for no good reason, lost a day's pay and a night's sleep etc., no fun at all.
It's risky to hang around if you're a cyclist even when you've done absolutely nothing wrong.

It really annoys me when the press report it as 'hit and run' when there is no requirement to stop or report the collision.

Playing devil's advocate, I'd imagine they use it in the colloquial sense ("That bloke rode into that old lady and kept on going! Bl00dy hit and run, innit?") rather than any legal sense.

hawkinspeter replied to jh27 | 5 years ago
1 like

jh27 wrote:

ChrisB200SX wrote:

^ This.

If the reports were accurate, then the perp did literally hit and run (leaving the bike at the scene).

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

They've got him

Quote:

Police have confirmed they have arrested a man in connection with this incident.

They said a 26-year-old man was detained by British Transport Police in Fraser Street at around 3.50pm today.

“He remains in custody at the time of writing,” a police statement said.

Fraser Street is a residential road which includes the entrance to Bedminster train station, in the Windmill Hill area of BS3, which could explain why British Transport Police carried out the arrest.

The police said the woman pedestrian involved in the collision with the man on a bike is in her 70s, and still receiving treatment to ‘injuries believed to be life-changing’.

brakesmadly replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
3 likes

Quote:

The police said the woman pedestrian involved in the collision with the man on a bike...

I look forward to the police referring to equivalent incidents as "The police said the cyclist involved in the collision with the man in a car..."

#notholdingmybreath

Dnnnnnn replied to brakesmadly | 5 years ago
2 likes

mbrads72 wrote:

Quote:

The police said the woman pedestrian involved in the collision with the man on a bike...

I look forward to the police referring to equivalent incidents as "The police said the cyclist involved in the collision with the man in a car..."

#notholdingmybreath

I get the arguments behind this - but when you collide with a car, it's the car you hit and the car that does the damage on account of its being rather heavy. Being hit by a bicycle is probably no big deal - it's the 80kg lump on top that also comes into with contact you and does the more damage.

Anyway, I hope the woman in this story makes a good recovery.

ChrisB200SX replied to Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

mbrads72 wrote:

Quote:

#notholdingmybreath

I get the arguments behind this - but when you collide with a car, it's the car you hit and the car that does the damage on account of its being rather heavy. Being hit by a bicycle is probably no big deal - it's the 80kg lump on top that also comes into with contact you and does the more damage.

Anyway, I hope the woman in this story makes a good recovery.

Disagree. It's the hard bits, like the bike, rather than the pink squishy thing on top that tends to the damage, or most likely hitting the floor, that tends to cause most injuries... unless you know for a fact that the two people actually collided as there are multiple possibilities.

brooksby | 5 years ago
5 likes

Unfortunately, I'm bracing myself for the coverage this will get - 'man bites dog' and all that 

You realise that a large number of Bristol Post readers will take this as perfect justification for going after *every* cyclist with pitchforks and torches...?

I hope the pedestrian recovers, and isn't too badly injured (yes, I know, "potentially life changing", but I can hope).

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
2 likes

Really shitty thing to hurt someone and make off. Hard to imagine any scenario where you are not aware of the collision and that the person you hit is not in a good way.

Hope the person involved contacts the authorities and assists the investigations.

Best wishes to the injured lady and the medical team looking after her.

M

MonkeyPuzzle | 5 years ago
0 likes

Was this in the traffic-restricted part of East St?

hawkinspeter replied to MonkeyPuzzle | 5 years ago
1 like

MonkeyPuzzle wrote:

Looks like it to me. Possibly around a newsagent according to where the police were active.

BBC have a picture, but it's not necessarily where the incident happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46879177

There must have been eye-witnesses at that time of morning, so lets hope they find the cyclist (and what actually happened).

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

HawkinsPeter wrote:

MonkeyPuzzle wrote:

Looks like it to me. Possibly around a newsagent according to where the police were active.

BBC have a picture, but it's not necessarily where the incident happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46879177

There must have been eye-witnesses at that time of morning, so lets hope they find the cyclist (and what actually happened).

i don't know Bedminster at all, but the Post talked about bus delays due to the road closure: is East Street like the Horsefair in Broadmead (ie buses taxis deliveries and "access")?

I also note that the BBC says that the pedestrian was crossing the road when the bicycle came into contact with her. So lots of questions about that, surely? Not defending the cyclist (or pob, whatever you want to call them) but how far in front of him did she step out? Was this like the hit and run thing last year where the pedestrian turned out to have walked into the bicycle?  Be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Has anyone seen updates on how the pedestrian is doing?

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

HawkinsPeter wrote:

MonkeyPuzzle wrote:

i don't know Bedminster at all, but the Post talked about bus delays due to the road closure: is East Street like the Horsefair in Broadmead (ie buses taxis deliveries and "access")?

I also note that the BBC says that the pedestrian was crossing the road when the bicycle came into contact with her. So lots of questions about that, surely? Not defending the cyclist (or pob, whatever you want to call them) but how far in front of him did she step out? Was this like the hit and run thing last year where the pedestrian turned out to have walked into the bicycle?  Be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Yeah, it's one way (except for bikes) and for buses or loading vehicles only. The road slopes downhill from the west (which is the one way direction) so it's quite feasible for a cyclist to build up a lot of speed and then not have time to react to a pedestrian crossing the road from behind a parked vehicle.

I can't see anything more about the pedestrian other than she was in her 70s and is presumably still in hospital.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

HawkinsPeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

HawkinsPeter wrote:

MonkeyPuzzle wrote:

Yeah, it's one way (except for bikes) and for buses or loading vehicles only. The road slopes downhill from the west (which is the one way direction) so it's quite feasible for a cyclist to build up a lot of speed and then not have time to react to a pedestrian crossing the road from behind a parked vehicle.

I can't see anything more about the pedestrian other than she was in her 70s and is presumably still in hospital.

OK, thanks.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

Anyone with information which could help the investigation is asked to get in touch through  www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/contact , or by calling 101, quoting reference 5219100049.

Pages

Latest Comments