Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on tyres for an on & off road triathlon.

Hi, I’m doing a triathlon the bike section is part on & off Road along part of the WHW in Glen Nevis. I’m doing it on my Roubaix. I’m looking for some decent tyres that will cope with the off road part but not slow me down too much on the road. 700 x 25. I’ve been looking but not much out there for a 25mm. Any suggestions  gratefully received. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mc | 5 years ago
0 likes

If this is the triathlon I think it is, then it's just some surfaced paths/access tracks. Certainly nothing too rough, but 25mm tyres are quite likely to limit speed on some sections if you don't want to crash in a blaze of pinch flats.

I'd say it'll be the kind of route ideal for a cyclocross bike, or mountainbike with fast rolling tyres, rather than a roadbike.

bluemarina | 5 years ago
0 likes
madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have no experience of the WHW, but I've just looked at pictures and descriptions of it on some websites and blogs. It looks to mostly be graded pathway, and I ride often rougher than that on my standard roadbike It looks like for the most part it would be perfectly passable on 25mm GP4000's, or schwalbe ones if it's not too slippery. I imagine if you're going on a road type bike (inferred from tyre clearance) that you won't be on the roughest parts, so I'd suggest if speed is important to you, then 25mm schalbe ones would be my pick, they seem to have a tougher sidewall than the GPs.

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pirelli Cinturato, it's super tough and as it's designed to run tubeless with sealent that should seal anything that makes it through, it's also not that slow a tyre. It's available in 26mm which would hopefully fit:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pirelli/Cinturato-Velo-Tubeless-Ready-C...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-cintu...

Island Cyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks Rod, I know a wider tyre would be better but the forks are quite narrow, I may get away with a 28mm will look into it for sure. The Panracer GK are the tyres I had been looking at too.

Thanks again.

Rod Marton | 5 years ago
1 like

Panaracer Gravel King should be available in 25mm width - they are best on rough hard surfaces such as potholed lanes and gravel but are still quick on the road. However they really aren't very good with anything soft, like mud. I must admit I don't know the WHW at all, but if it's a hard surface these will be a good choice.

But I would strongly advise using a wider tyre. It will hardly slow you down on the road and be quicker off-road. I don't know what you can fit in your frame but go as wide as you can. I certainly wouldn't want to ride anything narrower than 28mm, possibly 32mm depending on the surface. And this will give you a wider choice of tyre.

Latest Comments