Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Please need help: Specialized Diverge frame 54 or 56?

Dear community, I am 177 cm tall and was trying the 56 size frame today. I was not totally comfortable. Maybe I should get the 54 frame? How to approach this topic? THANKS for the help!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

"it's easier to make a small frame larger than it is to make a large frame smaller" - think i read that somewhere in this forum  1 enjoy your new bike!

bluemarina | 5 years ago
0 likes

Great to hear! I think in general it's better to go with the smaller frame as in the worse case it's always possible to adapt with a smaller stem or other small changes.

Baga | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for all the replace. I finally had a chance to try the 54 Diverge frame and compared it to the 56. It was smaller indeed and more comfortable for me. I had more flexibility to take a comfortable positiona nd pulled the plug on Diverge Sport carbon 2019 54. Looking forward to try it out now:-)

AJG_19 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm a bit taller than you at 178 cm.
I've a shorter torso and longer legs. I didn't get to ride a 56 Diverge but through my leg over a 56 Roubaix which has a similar but not the same geometry and I felt way to stretched out reach wise.

I tried a 54 Diverge and bought it. I was happy with the way it felt when I had a ride of it. Not got any problems with toe crossover or knees on the bars when out of the saddle. Though if I was a touch taller I probably would do.

As above try a 54 and take your pick between the two.

Baga | 5 years ago
0 likes

The challenge is, there is the Diverge Sport carbob 56 available, I tried it yesterday. Felt OK, but I had no 54 to try alongside. There is another Spec frame size 54 that I will try today. I think the geometry is very similar. What should serve as an indication?

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

The diverge is very different from the Allez as i found to my cost.

56 Allez was wonderful and i could have even done with a slightly shorter stem (I'm around 182cm), same size diverge was tiny. I struggle with knees on bars when out of the saddle and have front wheel and toe crossover.

The obvious answer is to try both...

stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

let's start with the most important - height is not evrything. when between sizes, I think the rule is longer legs/shorter torso - size down, and vice versa.

I too am 177 and had a 56 Allez as my first bike. Although i could ride it fine, it was never the best fit. I now have a tarmac and an allez, both 54 cm and they fit just great. I have a 110mm stem on the tarmac and a 120mm on the allez and both feel much better than the 56cm allez ever did. With the diverge you probably want a more upright position anyway, so i'd go 54 and then change to a longer stem if necessary.

Latest Comments