Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Continental tire size confusion

So, I read your review on all the confusing sizes with all the tire manufacturers.   Here in the states most cyclists use the French measurements, i.e. 700c x 25.  I just ordered some Continental tires for my gravel riding.  I like some knobs on the tread, so I order "Continental Extra Puncture Resistant 700c x 28."  

This has happened a few times as I remember.  What I receive on the label is 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/8.  That is another measurement for 700c x 28, I understand.

But what is odd is that on the tire the orange & gray logo reads is "Continental, RIDE TOUR , electric plug graphic, then 25, then EXTRA, Puncture BELT".  When painstakingly read the black imprint on black tire info, it reads my good ol' 700 x 28.

So, when my ride buddies see that visible 25, they tell me that I should go at least to 28's.  So, what does that "25" mean on the Continental logo?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

IanEdward | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just to add my recent experience, a Continental 700x25 measures up as 27mm on a DT R460 rim. A 700x28 measures up as 31mm.

When frame manufacturers advertise clearance for 28mm tyres, they mean tyres which actually measure 28mm, so not a tyre badged as 700x28mm, d'uh! 

Simon E | 5 years ago
1 like

Continental UK's page for that tyre shows sizes etc, the ETRTO size of 622mm is the one to look for if you have 700c rims (yes, it's somehwat confusing):

https://conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-touring/ride-tour

28 x 1 5/8 is inches, which is 40mm width while 1 1/4 is 31mm. If you fit the tyre (presuming it is the right size for your rims) then, as John says, the real-world tyre width will vary a little depending on the width of your rims.

The plug icon & 25 probably indicates its suitability for e-bikes and a rating.

Latest Comments