Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

We sometimes make videos. You sometimes watch videos.

what videos do you want us to make? fire away. Can be anything. so long as bikes are at least tangentially involved. we don't promise to do all of them. or even any of them. but it's nice to know.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
3 likes

Don't copy GCN. You probably don't have the budget.

I've always found road.cc to be the more "realistic" side of day-to-day cycling, so concentrate on that, highlights from group and club rides, a bit more gritty, people getting out in shit weather, along shitty lanes, on shitted-up bikes, having fun. Even if that sometimes takes bikes into an urban environment, or commuting.

Videos of how "normal priced bikes" fare on group rides, e.g. take a few normal priced bikes out on group rides and see how they get on, such as stuff people can afford on cyclescheme (Below £1500) etc. Thats what we want to know. So few people can afford 5 grand+ Superbikes, so leave that to GCN, and concentrate on the realistic stuff.

I think this would give a good overview on top of some of the reviews, along with photos of the bikes looking brand new, lets see what they look like in a video during or after 40 miles of shit-laning fun, or how they are wearing in after 3 months of use, or after trying to mix it in a Cat-3 race at Odd down. Doesnt have to be a super long video, 2 or 3 mins at most.

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
2 likes

I much prefer articles. But if you must make videos:

SHORT and snappy videos please. I haven't got 10 minutes to spend watching someone talk about a new bike.

CLIMBS in Britain, like the Col Collective do for the Alps.

MOVING things that we can't get from the written word. That isn't a camera panning slowly over a stationary bike with a bloke talking endlessly.

HOW TO videos. Quick and snappy. Installing a new crankset. Process for solving the dreaded creak. Solving indexing problems. That sort of thing.

BudgieBike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Oval v round chainrings

Jersey / short sizing and the difference between brands

rjfrussell | 5 years ago
0 likes

having a video where 1 individual just reads out the article is pretty pointless.  it is far quicker to read than watch/ listen, and the stills are usually more informative than the video.

the cycling weekling videos where 2 or 3 of them discuss/ debate new kit is more interesting and informative. 

peted76 replied to rjfrussell | 5 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

having a video where 1 individual just reads out the article is pretty pointless.  it is far quicker to read than watch/ listen, and the stills are usually more informative than the video.

the cycling weekling videos where 2 or 3 of them discuss/ debate new kit is more interesting and informative. 

I agree with this, however I find the CW ones to be more annoying than anything else.

Tony Farrelly replied to peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

rjfrussell wrote:

I agree with this, however I find the CW ones to be more annoying than anything else.

We've been talking about doing those sorts of vids for years. Waaaay back in the past we even did some. The problem we have is getting everyone in the same place at the same time on a regular basis - not you'd think an insurmountable problem but…

Ours would prob be annoying too  3

captain_slog | 5 years ago
1 like

I enjoy the on-bike footage from events like the Dirty Reiver. How about highlights from group rides? Tough climbs, fun descents, splendid views.

Five-second clips would be useful in reviews to illustrate a crucial bit of product usage: 'this is the light being attached'; 'this is the pump in action' etc. However, I much prefer to read a review than watch one, in general. I don't watch unboxings or first-look reviews.

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

What about the absolute hooning madness which is a mass start competitive road event. e.g. Tour of Cambridgeshire.. (however I'd be surprised if they'd allow anyone to show just how dangerous it actually is on video).. 

stucky | 5 years ago
1 like

compare the best alloy bikes like the allez sprint, caad12 or emonda alr to carbon equivalents in £? can they be as light? aero? stiff? ride quality? sort of componentry you get? it may have been done and talked about but it'd be interesting to see in more detail

bike_food | 5 years ago
0 likes

Something that GCN hasn't done already.

Latest Comments