Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Thermosuit Experiment is over

Although it is still freezing I've just sold my Castelli Thermosuit 2.0 one piece. When they first came out and others started to copy them they seemed like a great idea to me, flexible, warm. I've had Castelli's San Remo suits since they started, I like the aero feel around the waist , but the option to pee, which is difficult in a skinsuit with zip placement. The winter version seemed like a natural evolution. At first I was really happy with the flexiblilty of the suit but a few of the drawbacks became apparent immediately. The top was not a full winter jacket and only warm enough in 7/8 degrees, just below shorts weather. Anything cooler need a light jacket anyway and anything below 4C just turned it into a tights with a thermal jersey attached. Some people complained it was a risk to have so much value in one garment that you might damage. Though I never crashed in the suit the padding did start to wear out from over use; and a wet arse is wet, regardless.

As such though these suits are brilliantly designed and made, I have reverted back to my old winter jackets, tights (unpadded) and normal bibshorts underneath. I can rotate my bibs [have lots to spread wear and always have clean ones,] and carry spare ones to work if it is raining badly. Components are just so much more flexible and cleanable. It is a shame really if money was no object, but it is, and I have other things to buy so the Thermosuit had to go.*

Has anyone else ridden in one and could extol the virtues of later suits or other makes? I've got sellers remorse.

*maybe I should have unstitched the padding on day one and gone with the warmer bibs-under combination from the start. Oh well, maybe I will feel richer next year.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Luv2ride | 5 years ago
1 like

I've got a Castelli Thermosuit (2nd version, so Gabba long sleeve top).  Really like it, though would concede I sometimes pair it with a thin waterproof jacket when proper cold/wet.  Got mine really cheap in an Evans sale though, so was great value.  The RRP would be way too steep to justify for me.   

Freddy56 | 5 years ago
2 likes

My finest day as a sales man back in the day was getting an arse£$%@ to the counter with his Assos one piece winter suit.  (He said Shimano 600 was for leisure riders, he was 14 stone)

How often do you go out?

- 2-3 times a week. 

Listen you will need another if that one is in the wash.

- Your right... and off he went and I added another to the bill

Organon replied to Freddy56 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Freddy56 wrote:

My finest day as a sales man back in the day was getting an arse£$%@ to the counter with his Assos one piece winter suit.  (He said Shimano 600 was for leisure riders, he was 14 stone)

How often do you go out?

- 2-3 times a week. 

Listen you will need another if that one is in the wash.

- Your right... and off he went and I added another to the bill

Um, I'm 14 stones, what about it? Was he being a snob about groupset?

Maybe I can get some of his handmedowns. Assos still sells well on ebay.

fenix | 5 years ago
3 likes

Never understood the benefits of this. Separate kit is much cheaper and convenient. My jackets often don't need washing but my longs always do. I think you've done well to sell it.

Latest Comments