Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Propel Advanced or Defy Advanced - help needed.

Good evening,

(first post so go easy) im in the process of buying a new bike. I’ve narrowed it down to two models The Giant Propel Advanced 2 and the Defy Advanced 2 both are 2018 models with a healthy reduction in the sale. 

The issue I’m having is deciding which would be best. There isn’t much between then with the same group set and the Defy has disc brakes. The propel is a more aggressive stance but only by a few millimetres. 

I mostly use the bike for weekend rides/ weeknight rides and the occasional 2 day cycling trip so would probably get away with the Defy, however, the Propel looks better and as I’m only in my 30’s I feel like I can still get away with a more racing geometry rather than an endurance. 

Am i being ridiculous? Or have a missed something as I really don’t see a massive difference which is making my choice hard. 

Thanks in advance 

Glenn 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd go with the aero bike. My old 1st gen venge was perfectly comfortable and I even did a bit of touring on it with a max daily ride of 200 miles with no problems...the comfort thing is overstated - if the bike fits you you will be fine.

I had a pretty decent 'defy style' endurance bike (domane sl5 disc, complete with 40mm Carbon wheels) and while comfortable...it never felt fast or exciting...bit dull in all honesty so I sold it. Different strokes for different folks ultimately.

Now I'm off to say the same thing on your bikeradar forum post  10

Glenn_23 replied to EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

Personally I'd go with the aero bike. My old 1st gen venge was perfectly comfortable and I even did a bit of touring on it with a max daily ride of 200 miles with no problems...the comfort thing is overstated - if the bike fits you you will be fine. I had a pretty decent 'defy style' endurance bike (domane sl5 disc, complete with 40mm Carbon wheels) and while comfortable...it never felt fast or exciting...bit dull in all honesty so I sold it. Different strokes for different folks ultimately. Now I'm off to say the same thing on your bikeradar forum post  10

haha you have to ask don’t you. I didn’t know which would be best for replies as it was my first post. But both forums have been very helpful. 

Paul7189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a defy advanced and it’s a brilliant bike. The thing worth noting about the defy is it’s still a very fast bike. If I were doing shorter rides and riding in a country unlike the uk where the roads were actually decent then maybe I would consider an aero bike but to be honest in the uk you’re going to be feeling it!

I would recommend the defy to anyone. Also I would never buy a bike without disc brakes now. They are better in every way and I think they look better (some old out of touch people who are stuck in their ways might not agree with that). If you want a frame set that you can keep and build upon for years you can’t go wrong with the defy. If you get the propel you’re going to want aero wheels that you can’t use in the wind. Your brakes will destroy nice wheels in the winter so you will find yourself out on it less. I use my defy in all weather with some clip on (sks raceblade pro xl) mudguards. If you get some nice aero wheels as a nice weather set for the defy you will feel faster anyway.

Its worth noting that a lot of pro cycling teams don’t ride aero bikes. There must be a reason for it?

Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Defy.

Comfort is highly underrated and it's got drop bars when you want to go aero.

stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

for the looks and speed - Propel
for the comfort - Defy

which one do you value most? remember, you need to enjoy the ride. no point in being fast if your whole body hurts and you are put of by the pain of riding the bike. If you're reasonably fit and flexible, you'll probably get away with the propel anyways, comfort wise.

I  think 90% of the people would go for the Propel, if they were similarly priced, just because it's the "better bike", looks better and makes you feel manly and agressive  1

trying them before buying would be ideal.

Simon E replied to stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

stucky wrote:

I  think 90% of the people would go for the Propel, if they were similarly priced, just because it's the "better bike", looks better and makes you feel manly and agressive  1

I'm one of the other 10%. I have yet to find an aero models that is aesthetically pleasing (though the Propel is better than most other 'aero' models). I can be manly without a bike and don't feel a need any encouragement to be aggressive.

A model with slightly less drag may be a benefit if you're racing, but technically irrelevant for everyone else. It makes me think of wide wheels & spoiler kits on cars that are driven around town (though I have no problem with people buying whichever bike they prefer).

stucky wrote:

Absolutely!

Daveyraveygravey replied to Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

stucky wrote:

I'm one of the other 10%. I have yet to find an aero models that is aesthetically pleasing (though the Propel is better than most other 'aero' models). I can be manly without a bike and don't feel a need any encouragement to be aggressive.

A model with slightly less drag may be a benefit if you're racing, but technically irrelevant for everyone else. It makes me think of wide wheels & spoiler kits on cars that are driven around town (though I have no problem with people buying whichever bike they prefer).

stucky wrote:

Absolutely!

Well, if you guys equate aesthetically pleasing with manly and aggressive, that's your hang up!  To me, it's pleasing aesthetics are down to it looking more modern/different than regular bikes.  Plus the colours at the time were less conservative than they are now.

Not sure about " less drag is irrelevant to everyone else."  On group rides with my mates, my bike seems to need very little effort to stay in 2nd or 3rd wheel.  I only really noticed when my Propel was off the road and I had to borrow a more conventional bike, I kept dropping off the back of the group because I was putting in Propel-levels of effort to stay on, and that wasn't enough.  Purely anecdotal I know but...

Simon E replied to Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Not sure about " less drag is irrelevant to everyone else."  On group rides with my mates, my bike seems to need very little effort to stay in 2nd or 3rd wheel.  I only really noticed when my Propel was off the road and I had to borrow a more conventional bike, I kept dropping off the back of the group because I was putting in Propel-levels of effort to stay on, and that wasn't enough.  Purely anecdotal I know but...

The figures I've seen suggest that differences in frame drag are small and are often swamped by variation in position, clothing etc. Also, in second wheel you're already saving 25% of your power compared to being on the front, third wheel it's even more and in a group the air is turbulent and is not hitting you head-on.

But it's your money and if you like riding the Propel then that is what matters. Equally, it makes no odds to me whether someone turns up on a pimpy Venge in pro team kit or a retro grouch riding a 68" fixed steel frame with mudguards and a rack. I know (and like) people matching each of those descriptions.

Htc | 5 years ago
0 likes

Propel is totally fine for longer distances although I would say that the long distance comfort is dependant upon the wheelset more than anything in my experience. Tyres do make a difference but the jarring type of feedback can be hugely affected by the wheel choice.

Other than comfort it rides nicely, it’s sharp and flickable - easy to follow a wheel in a sprint. I wouldn’t say it’s laterally the stiffest bike though.

Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

A friend has a Defy...it's OK. His cost twice as much as mine, I wouldn't swap. Have also tried a TCR, which admittedly was a couple of years older, but had the worst saddle I have ever sat on. Literally 30 minutes was like a 6 hour ride

Glenn_23 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. 

Its the Propel or the Defy due to the availability. 

Good to hear that the Propel is comfortable on longer runs

Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bought a Propel a few years ago, still love it. Part of that is the look of it, but that makes me want to ride it, and makes me miss it when I haven't been on it for a while.
Did loads of research before I bought it, tried a couple of aero bikes, and a couple of "normal" bikes, including a Super 6, for me it was a nicer ride than any of the others, looked better (the shape) and of course, in red, sealed the deal.
Final thing was, I looked at my rides on Strava, and almost all of them were 2-3 hours. In a year, I would do 4 x 100 milers, maybe 8-10 sixty milers, but literally 150-200 rides of a couple of hours. It would have to be an absolute old rattler to make comfort more of a priority.
Having said all of that, I rode an Everesting on it 3 months after I bought it. 27 hours, over 300 km

mostly | 5 years ago
1 like

As stated get a TCR. A little piece of advice get a bike that fits, not one that looks good.

Run BMC | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've not ridden a Defy, but I've owned a Propel for over three years, and it holds it own for short fast rides, as well as all day slogs.  I think you'd be fine with it, and as you say it looks sexier!  The only thing I'd say is that it's not a very exciting ride - it does its job, and does it quickly, but it gives a rather dull ride.  I don't find myself grinning like I used to on my old CAAD!

peted76 | 5 years ago
3 likes

.. hmm.. 

Can't you get a TCR.. which is a bit inbetween the both?

Latest Comments