Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Camera

Looking for recommendations. 

What I'm after is a camera that will ideally mount underneath a GPS mount although that's not a dealbreaker. 

What is a dealbreaker however is battery life. I really don't want to be charging the thing after every ride & I do want something that will last for all of a long ride, say 5-6 hours. 

Obviously looked at GoPros but the battery life on them is dire & I don't want to be going through the hassle of stopping mid ride to change batteries. 

All other alternatives seem to be similar with regards to battery life, is that the norm? Willing to sacrifice picture quality for increased battery life as I'd be using primarily as a safety camera so image stabilisation is important as well.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

You need one of each 

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-out-front-mount-for-garmin-edge-and-ac...|sqbW8LzqB_dc|mcrid|295293415336|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360743673uk|mslid||&mkwid=sqbW8LzqB_dc&pcrid=295293415336&prd=5360743673uk&pgrid=58853027266&ptaid=pla-524084262697&gclid=CjwKCAiAiJPkBRAuEiwAEDXZZc_F9EWNFsUzNdl32HAXUwYTDYEgMU6qbSIrUskxLXcdDk-oWSuLdxoCG9gQAvD_BwE

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-slim-5000/A1250011

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Devices-Including/dp...

I use a top tube bag, but you could fit it in a seat toolbag 

I wrap a little plastic bag over open charge door to protect against rain with an elastic band.

ibr17xvii replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

You need one of each 

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-out-front-mount-for-garmin-edge-and-ac...|sqbW8LzqB_dc|mcrid|295293415336|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360743673uk|mslid||&mkwid=sqbW8LzqB_dc&pcrid=295293415336&prd=5360743673uk&pgrid=58853027266&ptaid=pla-524084262697&gclid=CjwKCAiAiJPkBRAuEiwAEDXZZc_F9EWNFsUzNdl32HAXUwYTDYEgMU6qbSIrUskxLXcdDk-oWSuLdxoCG9gQAvD_BwE

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-slim-5000/A1250011

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Devices-Including/dp...

I use a top tube bag, but you could fit it in a seat toolbag 

I wrap a little plastic bag over open charge door to protect against rain with an elastic band.

Cheers!

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Gopro hero Session with a credit size Anker battery link by usb C cable.  I can get 9 hours non stop recording with a 128gb memory card.  That is with image stabilised 1080p quality.  .

I ue this seup for sportive events, but could be easily setup for driver event recording.  The Go Pro are cheap theses days

lots of bike GPS have go pro fittings aswell.  

ibr17xvii replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

I have used the Gopro hero Session with a credit size Anker battery link by usb C cable.  I can get 9 hours non stop recording with a 128gb memory card.  That is with image stabilised 1080p quality.  .

I ue this seup for sportive events, but could be easily setup for driver event recording.  The Go Pro are cheap theses days

lots of bike GPS have go pro fittings aswell.  

Do you have a pic of how you have this set up?

Sounds interesting.

Sophie Elise | 5 years ago
1 like

I recommended you Sony HDRAS50/B Full HD Action Cam (Black) bike camera. It's lightweight, durable and waterproof. It has high resolution 1080p with approximately 8 hours of battery backup. You can find more camera review at Sportsly that has all answer to your question. I'm using this camera with no objection. blushblush

ibr17xvii replied to Sophie Elise | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sophie Elise wrote:

I recommended you Sony HDRAS50/B Full HD Action Cam (Black) bike camera. It's lightweight, durable and waterproof. It has high resolution 1080p with approximately 8 hours of battery backup. You can find more camera review at Sportsly that has all answer to your question. I'm using this camera with no objection. blushblush

Another one for the list to investigate.

That page looks really useful, thanks.

Hirsute | 5 years ago
2 likes

Just heard from Essex police that one my submissions has 'resulted in a positive disposal'.
Perhaps this means the vehicle will be crushed !

LastBoyScout | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Veho Muvi K2 NPNG.

Claimed battery life is up to 4 hours (the Pro also now claims this, it used to claim 3 hours) - but that assumes you're running it at the lowest resolution. I generally get up to about 2.5 hours at HD quality.

However - and this is the kicker - it seems to be one of the few where you can actually replace the battery and get spares pretty cheaply, so you can, theoretically, record a whole day by carrying spares.

ibr17xvii replied to LastBoyScout | 5 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout wrote:

I have a Veho Muvi K2 NPNG.

Claimed battery life is up to 4 hours (the Pro also now claims this, it used to claim 3 hours) - but that assumes you're running it at the lowest resolution. I generally get up to about 2.5 hours at HD quality.

However - and this is the kicker - it seems to be one of the few where you can actually replace the battery and get spares pretty cheaply, so you can, theoretically, record a whole day by carrying spares.

4 hours is pretty close to the mark of what I'm looking for so will add this to the list to take a look at.

Cheers.

LastBoyScout replied to ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

4 hours is pretty close to the mark of what I'm looking for so will add this to the list to take a look at.

Cheers.

No problem.

Should add that you can pick them up for about 1/2 RRP on eBay - I got mine via the Argos shop on there.

Go for the NPNG and it comes with the waterproof case and all the mounts you need, including a GoPro adapter - you can mount the camera upside-down under a Garmin and the film will flip orientation. Only niggle is the bolts are a bit shorter than I'd like for peace of mind.

I personally find the K-Edge mounts the best by far, although they're not cheap.

Kapelmuur | 5 years ago
2 likes

I recently witnessed an appalling example of intimidatory and reckless driving, unfortunately it was towards the end of a 4 hour ride and my camera battery had died.

Maybe that’s what the OP has in mind?

cougie | 5 years ago
2 likes

Probably a peace of mind thing ?  Sod's law the camera is off when some n*b overtakes dangerously or worse.   I wouldn't mind that battery life myself. 

ibr17xvii replied to cougie | 5 years ago
0 likes

cougie wrote:

Probably a peace of mind thing ?  Sod's law the camera is off when some n*b overtakes dangerously or worse.   I wouldn't mind that battery life myself. 

Exactly that & as I said in the OP I don’t want to charge it every 5 mins. 

Can’t see the point in getting a GoPro when the battery would die after 1.5 to 2 hours & the majority of my rides are over this. 

Hirsute replied to cougie | 5 years ago
0 likes
cougie wrote:

My current record of nearly being hit is less 1 minute after starting !

LastBoyScout replied to Hirsute | 5 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:
cougie wrote:

My current record of nearly being hit is less 1 minute after starting !

Similar here - there's a nasty narrow bridge just near my house.

Last year, I got knocked off and bike written off about 5 minutes after leaving home - happened a bit further up the next road.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Do you have a really long commute or think your club rides are as interesting as Paris Roubaix?

Why do you want to record that long?

Redvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

Garmin Virb has decent battery life and batteries are easily swappable if you're carrying a spare and can mount under a GPS bracket but these are hard to come by now but I do know someone selling a Virb camera and accessories.

ibr17xvii replied to Redvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

Redvee wrote:

Garmin Virb has decent battery life and batteries are easily swappable if you're carrying a spare and can mount under a GPS bracket but these are hard to come by now but I do know someone selling a Virb camera and accessories.

Cheers. Garmins look quite dear but not really considered them TBH so will take a look.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Anyone any idea why the Fly 12 isn't compatible with my K Edge combo mount? Too heavy? Anyone used it successfully?

Would rather not have to buy another mount if possible. 

hawkinspeter replied to ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

Anyone any idea why the Fly 12 isn't compatible with my K Edge combo mount? Too heavy? Anyone used it successfully?

It'll probably be the weight as I've tried a few mounts (though not the K Edge) and a small amount of flex translates into rubbish video quality. However, I've got the first version Fly12 and it is pretty heavy.

The best mount for me was one a metal one that fixes to the stem, replacing a couple of stem bolts e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XON-Alloy-Stem-Computer-Mount-For-Wahoo-ELEMN...

ibr17xvii replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

HawkinsPeter wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

It'll probably be the weight as I've tried a few mounts (though not the K Edge) and a small amount of flex translates into rubbish video quality. However, I've got the first version Fly12 and it is pretty heavy.

The best mount for me was one a metal one that fixes to the stem, replacing a couple of stem bolts e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XON-Alloy-Stem-Computer-Mount-For-Wahoo-ELEMN...

Cheers, like the look of that. Good point about the flex, didn't really consider that.

Cycliq Duo mount gets good reviews but it's £56 which seems a bit steep.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much for the replies so far. 

Fly12 looks good, slightly concerned about the customer service from Cycliq if something does go wrong but reviews  on this look favourable for the most part. 

A couple of the 1st versions on eBay so maybe a choice between that or a brand new CE unless there's anything else to consider. 

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mrs has a Cycliq Fly 12 CE (note:CE is the latest version). Battery life is 8 hours when not using with its light. Does mount under GPS (see enclosed stock photo). Google and YouTube for reviews, including RoadCC.

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

Fly12 is your only real option. More of a commuting camera which explains the built in light and long battery life.

10 hours for the first gen, 8 hours for the latest

ibr17xvii replied to EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

Fly12 is your only real option. More of a commuting camera which explains the built in light and long battery life. 10 hours for the first gen, 8 hours for the latest

I've just been looking at that this morning. Seems the Cycliq stuff is quite marmite though judging by the reviews - some say it's great, some say avoid like the plague.

Guess it's how's your luck.

HoarseMann replied to EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

StoopidUserName wrote:

Fly12 is your only real option. More of a commuting camera which explains the built in light and long battery life. 10 hours for the first gen, 8 hours for the latest

I can recommend the fly 12. Been using a first gen one for over a year and it’s been reliable. It’s quite a heavy lump though, but that gives you the long run time and it is a doddle to use.

I started off with a shimano cm2000 bought when they were £55. It’s impressively light weight and picture quality good once I’d found the optimal setting (narrow fov 720 60fps). But the battery is tiny. An hour at best on the high res setting and the most I got was nearly 2 hours on low res. I paired it with a cheap rechargeable power pack and could power it from that via USB (when not raining). But it was a faff and although the battery is swappable, you can’t buy replacements or any of the accessories.

Hirsute | 5 years ago
0 likes

The drift ghost X claims about 4 hours. There is also a larger battery module available, but I'm unclear if this is an external pack, although I suspect it is.

ibr17xvii replied to Hirsute | 5 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

The drift ghost X claims about 4 hours. There is also a larger battery module available, but I'm unclear if this is an external pack, although I suspect it is.

New one on me so I'll take a look.

Cheers for that.

Latest Comments