Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Team Sky - A good thing?

Not wanting to repeat the whole thing again, I will just link to the blog...

/content/blog/2572-sky-limit

... What are everyones thoughts on the new British team? I thought the forum would be red hot on the subject  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Blackhound | 15 years ago
0 likes

Money into cycling is always good. A downside for me is I do not have Sky so will probably not see a lot of the domestic races. Have to wait for the continent and Eurosport.

I reckon Cav would be expensive to buy in, must be one of the most wanted men in the peloton. If we put a team around him winning green, which is possible, then difficult to go for yellow as well.

Would be good to see Robert Millar involved, someone who knows first hand what is required. Doubt he will asked though.

Sky operates in Ireland so what about Roche, Deignan and O'Loughlan as possible 'foreign' riders.

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

I think its a great thing. Britain as a community will take cycling a lot more seriously if road cyclists are seen to be doing well in a GB style team. I understand some foreign pro's will be riding but the core will br British and as such any victory will hopefully instill a bit of pride in a similar way that Beijing did for our track stars.

James Warrener replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

Fair point, but which continental pros would you trust (and you know what I mean here!!) to be on the team?

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

In my opinion it is a great project. To attempt to put a British team in the Pro Tour level of the sport and to encourage our young top flight riders to aspire to excellence in the pro road scene rather than just seeing us as a track cycling nation is great.

We will surely have a tour contender in the future if we put the same effort into road racing as we did track cycling.

With the likes of Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Gerraint Thomas, Chris Froome etc, not to mention Cav, we have a quite a few strong pro cyclists already under contract elsewhere, so maybe over the coming years this quality of rider could be enticed into the Sky team, and become real contenders in the Pro Tour...

Latest Comments