Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Julian Alaphilippe

I may be a bit behind here but I am fast coming to the conclusion that "one L and two P's" may be better than PS.

Has he got everything? Could he be a GT candidate?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Me bad. Yeah watching rugby and been a fool

archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

You sure about that, not much opposition in TA. C9uld be good for Ala.

MinardiM189 replied to archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

archieboy wrote:

You sure about that, not much opposition in TA. C9uld be good for Ala.

Top 5 in a GT, a Grand Tour.

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

He has been in good positions in one week races and then when it comes to a summit finish and he has trouble staying with pure climbers. A good example was Paris Nice last year.

I'll buy you both a pint when Alaphilippe manages a top 5 in a GT.

stevemarks replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

He has been in good positions in one week races and then when it comes to a summit finish and he has trouble staying with pure climbers. A good example was Paris Nice last year.

I'll buy you both a pint when Alaphilippe manages a top 5 in a GT.

I'm looking forward to that.

I would hope I could buy you a pint one day whatever though.

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

He isn't that good in the mountains.

Probably his best GC result was 6th in 2016 Dauphine. Only  top climbers beat him, Froome, Contador, Porte, Martin & Bardet.

If anything his performance in high mountains has got worse since then.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Probably his best GC result was 6th in 2016 Dauphine. Only  top climbers beat him, Froome, Contador, Porte, Martin & Bardet.

Do you think so Minardi...or do you think he may now just know what he’s good at and doesn’t kill himself trying to compete on the biggest climbs. I’ve seen a few times when he’s been waving to the camera bike as he slides backwards on the biggest climbs...he hardly looks upset.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Do you think so Minardi...or do you think he may now just know what he’s good at and doesn’t kill himself trying to compete on the biggest climbs. I’ve seen a few times when he’s been waving to the camera bike as he slides backwards on the biggest climbs...he hardly looks upset.

Yes, I now what you mean but if he could improve the longer TT's and focus more on limiting losses in the mountains rather than saving himself for the stage wins? I was just looking at his performances in SA in the last two seasons, I was just really trying to think out loud. If the French are so desperate for a TDF winner he may be the most likely candidate to actually win one.

The evidence is sketchy but he is not a donkey in the high mountains.

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Yes, I now what you mean but if he could improve the longer TT's and focus more on limiting losses in the mountains rather than saving himself for the stage wins? I was just looking at his performances in SA in the last two seasons, I was just really trying to think out loud. If the French are so desperate for a TDF winner he may be the most likely candidate to actually win one.

The evidence is sketchy but he is not a donkey in the high mountains.

No he’s not...no donkey at all. I have in mind one paticular stage last year (can’t remember which) when he was really quite cheerful waving to the camera bike. Absolutely no attempt to get back on at all. I quite like the idea that he knows what he’s good at and just does it....I know what you mean though.

Latest Comments