Home

Contents of a Cycle Shop in Southampton are being auctioned. Over 300 lots of new and NOS at some amazing starting prices.

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/lambert-smit...

10 comments

Helen13 [5 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Auction is now live.

Team EPO [192 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

had a look and just watch out that there is an auction fee of +16% commission +20% VAT

Helen13 [5 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Just over 1 week to go until the auction closes. Remember, to register is free.

Here are some examples of the lots
Lot 32, WCS 26" wheels RRP £400 Start Price £90
Lot 90 Kona project 2 road forks RRP £89 Start Price £20
Lot 150 DT Swiss 240s hubs, new and boxed RRP £245 Start Price £150
Lot 125 Ryde Pulse Comp Disc rims RRP £160 Start Price £40

peted76 [1361 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

So if a rrp £400 set of wheels have a start price of £90, but sells for say £150, add on 16% fees, then add the 20% vat to get the real price of £208.80, also note there's a delivery cost of £14 or £30 depending on size.. so you'll be in for potentially £240 for a £400 pair of wheels, which are probably available for £240 new online somewhere else. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong with these fees, but they seem extortionate!

Deltavelo [17 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

peted76, I think you'll find the VAT is only on the commission, so effectively you pay the bid price + 19.2%. On a £150 bid, the total would be £178.80 + any carriage. Quite why auctions don't just give an all in percentage is beyond me.

peted76 [1361 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

It's really not very clear..  it says 'VAT/Sales Tax on Hammer 20%' ... I read that as on the 'hammer' there would be 20% added.

However you could be right, it could just be 20% on top of the selling 'fee' making 19%.. it's not clear at all.

BehindTheBikesheds [2959 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

You will pay VAT on the commission or buyers premium if you like) , this is standard everywhere in auction houses.

16% buyers premium is a bit of a mickey take but if the seller is not making it clear that there's VAT on the commission then the seller could get a rather large headache by not doing so, especially when people complain and they would have legal redress if it's not patently clear.

£150 start price for DT 240 hubs, a new pair recently sold on ebay for less than £200 posted so already cheaper than the auction here when you take the commission + Vat never mind postage on top. Available already for £250 incl post and not an auction so a couple of bids and you're already paying std price anyways.

They're good hubs but were always well over priced @RRP when compared to other top end hubs IMHO.

good luck to anyone if they get a bargain.

srchar [1260 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Note that you'll also pay at least £3.95+VAT handling and £5.75+VAT shipping.

StraelGuy [1661 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

The steel Ritchey Logic WCS 57cm frame and forks looks like a serious bargain for somebody. I'm desperately trying to resist buying it myself indecision.

Helen13 [5 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

LAST REMINDER- the auction closes tomorrow, friday 29th, from 3pm.

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/lambert-smith-hamp...

Lots of talk about the commission the purchaser pays but the seller also has a commission to pay.