Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya

Another great line up taking shape.

Movistar aren’t messing about with this one with Valverde, Quintana, Carapaz and Soler all lining up. I’m thinking they’re planning on doing well. 

Also...A tick against Bora but only six riders listed...anybody got any ideas what that’s all about?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

79 comments

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Congrats Doc, the man to beat.

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Only 2nd in the purist game Dr. Winston - what went wrong?

Seriously, very impressive consistency!

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah.....Won the standard game for the second year running, that'll look good on my palmares..Second in the purist game as well...Happy days....I feel like Valverde with all this Catalunya love.

Also....Just noticed my Vuelta win from last year isn't on my palmares...any chance of adding it please.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Missed it all due to Mother's Day stuff. I doubt my riders did enough to keep me on top. I thought Impey would have enjoyed today...not to be...

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Missed it all due to Mother's Day stuff. I doubt my riders did enough to keep me on top. I thought Impey would have enjoyed today...not to be...

He was working to set up the Yates attack.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

He was working to set up the Yates attack.

Really. Aye...makes sense. This was definitetly a stage he could have competed in but he doesn’t have to be the chosen one in that team. Actually a very good role for him at the grand tours.

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

What another great bike race!

Gotta love the yates brothers and even Quintana had a go.

Decent enough finish for my team too which doesn't hurt but fair play to anyone who picked Formolo, he was strong today.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cuadros and Greipel not starting stage 6. 

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Going well for me so far this one.

1st so far for standard and 2nd so far for purist...happy days...back up to 2nd overall as well....

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Going well for me so far this one.

1st so far for standard and 2nd so far for purist...happy days...back up to 2nd overall as well....

Outstanding, I tred to cover the break and really only made one out of three.

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Schachmann happy with and for him. 

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Good pick Steve. Did you bring him back in or did you keep him through the mountains?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Good pick Steve. Did you bring him back in or did you keep him through the mountains?

He came in on stage 2, more importantly do I cast him aside now for Gibbons?

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

He came in on stage 2, more importantly do I cast him aside now for Gibbons?

Dunno. I’ve had Matthews, Impey and Mccarthy earmarked for these two stages after the mountains since the game began. I’ve never really considered anybody else.

The chances of Schachmann doing that again two day running are fairly slim..so he’s more likely to be fighting in the peleton for just a reasonable finish....but then again...maybe he will do it again.

0 likes

Dr Winston]</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>[quote=Dr Winston

wrote:

Dunno. I’ve had Matthews, Impey and Mccarthy earmarked for these two stages after the mountains since the game began. I’ve never really considered anybody else.

The chances of Schachmann doing that again two day running are fairly slim..so he’s more likely to be fighting in the peleton for just a reasonable finish....but then again...maybe he will do it again.

I had Gibbons, Matthews, Impey lined up for these stages but lost a trnasfer with Rosskopf dropping out (I probably should have left him in) and missed out on Gibbons.

I could see the break winning again tomorrow but with some faster guys included.

0 likes

MinardiM189]</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>[quote=stevemarks

wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I had Gibbons, Matthews, Impey lined up for these stages but lost a trnasfer with Rosskopf dropping out (I probably should have left him in) and missed out on Gibbons.

I could see the break winning again tomorrow but with some faster guys included.

Possibly. Always room for a large break of also rand at this stage of a race. 20 plus riders wouldn’t be a surprise.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Damn. Looks like TDG is on another mad one and making it all up as he goes along....first one over the first climb....Simon Yates behind him.

Feeling a bit silly having taken him out now,

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bernal

Mas

Valverde

Kruiswijk

Lopez

Quintana

Cuadros

Sosa

Happy to see Cuadros in the break again. Seemed risky dropping both of Schachmann and De Gendt...but well...9th for this game (won it last year) and no point replicating those above me. Hopefully Schachmann won’t find anything extra today. Taken care to arrange the furniture so that TDG and/or Matthews are an easy swap back in.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Happy to see Cuadros in the break again. Seemed risky dropping both of Schachmann and De Gendt...but well...9th for this game (won it last year) and no point replicating those above me. Hopefully Schachmann won’t find anything extra today. Taken care to arrange the furniture so that TDG and/or Matthews are an easy swap back in.

Cuadros was my second choice behind Rosskopf  2

Do ther people find Quintana frustrating?

He looked to have no trouble following Bernal but didn't make any attempt to attack at all.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Cuadros was my second choice behind Rosskopf  2

Do ther people find Quintana frustrating?

He looked to have no trouble following Bernal but didn't make any attempt to attack at all.

Yes he is frustrating, and I bet most of the peloton find him frustrating as well.

Got to laugh at Kruiswijk....I was talking last night to somebody about picking him because he's not a winner but very dependable at sixth places or so....not far wrong....Dan Martin on the other hand is a winner but also somebody who shows his hand too soon sometimes and sinks...not today though....although he did nearly fall off the back a couple of times.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Dan Martin on the other hand is a winner but also somebody who shows his hand too soon sometimes and sinks...not today though....although he did nearly fall off the back a couple of times.

I couldn't believe when Dan Martin launched an attack as soon as he caught the leaders & then went on to be the 1st to attack in the finale.

If he had waited for Yates or Bernal to go he could have won.

I'm coming to the conclusion Quintana is exceptionally stupid and can't do anything unless the DS tells him too.

Today all he did was mark Bernal, when Yates attacked he did nothing and left it to Bernal to chase Yates down.

The other year he did something similar with Contador, he was just making sure Contador didn't get away and let about 10 other riders go up the road.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Dan Martin on the other hand is a winner but also somebody who shows his hand too soon sometimes and sinks...not today though....although he did nearly fall off the back a couple of times.

I couldn't believe when Dan Martin launched an attack as soon as he caught the leaders & then went on to be the 1st to attack in the finale.

I'm coming to the conclusion Quintana is exceptionally stupid and can't do anything unless the DS tells him too.

Today all he did was mark Bernal, when Yates attacked he did nothing and left it to Bernal to chase Yates down.

The other year he did something similar with Contador, he was just making sure Contador didn't get away and let about 10 other riders go up the road.

I agree. Some riders like Kruiswijk or Kelderman just don’t really have the raw talent to win many stages...they just grind on and do what they do really well...top riders...Quintana on the other hans has all the ability but just doesn’t seem to know how to maximise his own attributes....his Palmares should be better than it is.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I agree. Some riders like Kruiswijk or Kelderman just don’t really have the raw talent to win many stages...they just grind on and do what they do really well...top riders...Quintana on the other hans has all the ability but just doesn’t seem to know how to maximise his own attributes....his Palmares should be better than it is.

The fustration with Nairo is perpetual. However last year the criticism seemed to be he didn't race enough prior to the tour and that's why he lacked sharpness. Perhaps this year he has bigger fish to fry.  Ultimately he'll be judged by the number of Grand tours he wins so a stage or the overall in Catalunya may not be that important. Froome and S yates didn't even compete on the stage.

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Froome and Sky had Bernal.  Simon and MIS had Adam.  Movistar though?

I don't think it is as much a Quintana issue as the well funded Movistar team is so often less than the sum of its parts (though I do recognise that Valverde's palmares in week long, stages and classics is excpetional).

Condor Andy replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

I don't think it is as much a Quintana issue as the well funded Movistar team is so often less than the sum of its parts (though I do recognise that Valverde's palmares in week long, stages and classics is excpetional).

Without Valverde, they would be a discinctly average team. 26 wins last year, half of which were Valverde. I'm not a fan of Quintana, never have been. Why doesn't the man attack? Was it all just hype 3-4 years ago? He has 2 GT wins and 4 other GT podiums. The last one at the 2017 Giro when he lost to Dumoulin. I was waiting for him to attack in that race and it never came. I don't think he'll win another GT, other riders have figured out how to beat him.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

Without Valverde, they would be a discinctly average team. 26 wins last year, half of which were Valverde. I'm not a fan of Quintana, never have been. Why doesn't the man attack? Was it all just hype 3-4 years ago? He has 2 GT wins and 4 other GT podiums. The last one at the 2017 Giro when he lost to Dumoulin. I was waiting for him to attack in that race and it never came. I don't think he'll win another GT, other riders have figured out how to beat him.

I agree. He now has the problem that the peleton is breeding a generation of riders that are really attacking in the way they ride. The Yates brothers, Roglic, Bernal and co really are putting any patience tactics to the sword. It’s a fantastic generation coming through and if, as it appears, he has decided the patience ride is the way to go then i’m afraid  he’s gonna get very little change out of some of those young riders. 

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
1 like

Just when I though things couldn't get worse Rosskopf who I just brought in DNS.

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

My team for today -

VALVERDE
BERNAL
MAS E.
LOPEZ
QUINTANA
MARTIN D.
ROSSKOPF
VAKOC

Dropped Degendt as I don't think he will do much today. Maybe bring him back in again depending on today's results

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

My team for today -

VALVERDE
BERNAL
MAS E.
LOPEZ
QUINTANA
MARTIN D.
ROSSKOPF
VAKOC

Dropped Degendt as I don't think he will do much today. Maybe bring him back in again depending on today's results

I brought in Adam Yates, Lopez, and Zakarin. The latter will probably disappoint again, but he was cheap. Already had Woods, Martin, Bernal, and Valverde.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Some weird glitches in the admin side of things keep switching the deadlines by an hour. The stage starts in a few minutes and the deadline was still an hour away, so I've switched ot so the deadline is now in 15 minutes so as not to screw over anyone wating until the last minute.

Pages

Latest Comments