Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Square seatpost rear light combo advice

I'm looking for advice on a rear light which works with my sl6 seatpost which has a square section rear. Unfortunately this makes all of the lights I currently own which are designed to mount to round section seatposts swivel round so they don't point backwards.

I do have a saddle rail mount but this means I can't use a seat pack so not a great option for longer rides.

Pictures of lights on websites etc rarely show the actual mounts so I'm hoping the road.cc readership has some experience and expertise to share! Any advice?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

number9dream | 4 years ago
0 likes

Now that's a project I can get behind!

bechdan | 4 years ago
2 likes

Come to think of it some bottles use a plastic cork so that would be ideal, you cant usually tell from outside the bottle so you may have to drink a few to find out, hard work but youll just have to do it!

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

The cork thing sounds like a great idea, you probably don't need the full half, just enough of a segment to level off the curve in the light.  I'm thinking that cutting up a silicon or rubber bung might be more permanent and satisfying, but then those things are a nightmare to cut and drill.

Ohh, and pictures of the eventual solution would be much appreciated.

bechdan | 4 years ago
2 likes

whats the thickness / 'diameter' / size of the seatpost. 

I would suggest cutting a cork in half (lengthways) and placing that behind the light to mimic a round seatpost?

Im surprised elasticated straps cause this issue, but then again Ive never tried mounting to a square post before.

number9dream replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
1 like
bechdan wrote:

whats the thickness / 'diameter' / size of the seatpost. 

I would suggest cutting a cork in half (lengthways) and placing that behind the light to mimic a round seatpost?

Im surprised elasticated straps cause this issue, but then again Ive never tried mounting to a square post before.

Genius, I'll try that!
It's not the elasticated strap per se but the fact the light bracket has a rounded shape which doesn't quite fit over the rear square section and hence twists round. I'll try to take a picture when I get home

Latest Comments