Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

RTA

Hi,

Got knocked off my bike earlier, driver pulled out on my left whilst going round a roundabout. He stopped, police attended and I have his details.

Helmet took a big whack so is a writeoff, saddle’s grazed too. Bit worried about this frame damage, what do you think?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jY-Kt_KJ5z0_zf4MaM6hfFkA#

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

BobbyG | 4 years ago
0 likes

I was knocked off by a driver last year.  Like you I had the driver's details etc, and it was up to them to tell their own insurance company.  After a small period of radio silence (I think the driver blocked me) I contacted the police again who were more than happy to hand over the insurance details in order for me to go direct.  When I mentioned this to the driver (via WhatsApp, which wasnt blocked) they soon got their arse in gear.

I took my bike to my LBS and paid about £25 for a report on it where, after putting it on a rig, they established that the frame was bent and provided me with costs for a replacement.

I sent all replacement costs/pictures to the insurance company who by now had been in touch (Citroen Insurance).  I decided to handle things myself and was told that if I did, any offers made would be non-negotiable.  I just wanted a quick resolution, so agreed.

They low-balled me on the bike replacement (about £400 when I asked for £1,600) but gave me much more than that for injury compensation & paid for a course of physio.  Sounds like your injuries are worse than mine though, I landed on my head/shoulder but nothing broken.

Funnily enough I never even asked to pursue the personaly injury claim, all I was interested in was replacing my bike & getting back out there.  I suspect the pay-off I received means that I can't then come back and try for compo again.

kamoshika | 4 years ago
2 likes

As others have said, if you're a member of a cycling organisation you may have access to free legal advice through them. I was hit by a car in very similar circumstances and got excellent advice and support through the whole claims process from Leigh Day via my British cycling membership. I believe cycling UK (was CTC) offer something similar. All the best for a full and swift recovery, and getting the compensation you're entitled to. Don't expect it to be a quick process - it was a year to the day between the accident and getting a cheque the post for me.

atgni | 4 years ago
1 like

If by chance you have signed up to freemotorlegal, they cover the legal side when on a cycle. (They don't exactly advertise that, but did cofirm in writting to me that they do). Otherwise another 'legal cover' on car or home insurance might. Or even some jobs throw in legal helplines and cover, again not always advertised well.
Hope the sternum all sorts out well.

Shav | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, and on that note, if anyone can make a recommendation for a solicitor they have had a positive experience with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
2 likes

Definitely in the realm of solicitors now. The cost of bike replacement will be small part of any final settlement but if you feel any concern that the damage may not justify a full replacement then console yourself with the knowledge that the insurance company will try to stiff you on the value.

I'm sure that plenty of good advice will be coming your way from contributors to this site who have actually gone through the process of a personal injury and damaged items claim. For my part, I wish you a quick and full recovery. Just lie back and enjoy the attention.

M

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Ow, it would seem to me that it's not just about the bike.  There is personal injury now, and that's legal advice.  Would be handy if you are a member of a cycling organisation, but you could see if that's also covered under your home insurance.  When I got hit I had to go and see a solicitor, but there was gettable legal aid back them, it's more no win no fee these days.

The drivers insurance company will be an arse, it unfortunately can take some time.

But let's get you mended first.

longassballs replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes
ktache wrote:

The drivers insurance company will be an arse, it unfortunately can take some time.

Not true in my experience. Perhaps I lucked out with LV as the driver's insurer. In their words, because I had a possible head injury (I didn't but hit my helmet) they appointed an independent solicitor for free who didn't take any cut of the compensation. If you're not in any cycling organisation or got your own free legal cover I would try to find the driver's insurer and go through them first. If you get no joy try other options.

Depending on whether they admit blame it need not be such a long process but it might be better for some time to pass so you can demonstrate your losses and suffering - though from your description of your injury it sounds like a fair few months of physio so that would be easily proved.

Hope all goes well with the injury. Rinse the cunt for all you can get.

Shav | 4 years ago
1 like

Hi, 

Thanks for the advice. I’m still at St George’s, going a bit stir crazy hence the posts. 

I have a broken sternum and there is a bit of concern about proximity to some blood vessels. Staying here tonight and have another CT scan tomorrow. Thanks for the concern, looking forward to getting back out already but fear it will be a while before I’m able.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Go through your insurance company.

Glad to hear you are still with us, that transfer made it sound quite serious.

Good luck recovering, and getting over the extra fear being hit gives you.

Shav | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi, 

Please forgive my naivety here, but it’s the first time I have had to deal with something like this.

I have the drivers name, address, phone number and the Police incident number. How do I initiate the proceedings with his insurance company? With car on car RTA’s, I would contact my insurance company and give them the details and they deal with it from there. My bikes are insured on the home insurance, so should I contact them in this instance?

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
4 likes

Ignore the above, it should be considered a write off unless the insurers are prepared to pay for the bike to be scanned and inspected properly which will cost them a ton of money, likely exceeding the value of the frame unless it's a higher end model.

Don't take any bullshit, source a new variant, keep track of all out of pocket expenses, trips to doctors, any trips you pay for you'd make by bike, days off work etc. Use your insurers if you have to if the motorists insurers play hardball.

Oh and press plod for charges, do not let them fob you off with driver awareness course, this does fuck all to readjust their attitude!

Hope you are ok all things considered, 

madcarew | 5 years ago
1 like

Seriously doesn't look structural in the slightest. My drop outs are in worse condition than that and they havent been crashed. If the wheel stayed in it's kind of hard to see how that is accident damage (not that I doubt you, just saying it's hard to see how it occurred). Personally I like to play fair, and I don't think that's serious damage, so wouldn't be calling for a new frame. But I'm just a guy on the other side of the world looking at a photo on the internet. Really the only advice that counts though, is a carbon frame builder. Not your local LBS, because, quite frankly they're not experts in carbon frame damage. 

Good luck with the recovery  1

Shav | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yes, got the incident number. Currently in an ambulance after being referred to St George’s with a complex chest injury. Thought it was just a collarbone but there’s more to it apparently. Cheers for the tips lads.

zero_trooper | 5 years ago
1 like

If the police attended then there will be an incident number. Hopefully they gave you it at the time.

If there is ANY injury, update the police ASAP and they are then obliged to investigate the accident, which may assist in your insurance claim.

Hope that you are o.k. No expert, but that dropout looks a difficult repair.

Shav | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I’m in A&E now, bored waiting so got on the forum.

longassballs | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, it's knackered. New bike from their insurance company.

Get yourself to A&E and get checked out for concussion - essential you do this for personal accident compensation too.

Latest Comments