Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Novice help sought... Genesis bikes

Hi - Hoping this resonates with some, and someone can spare the time to help out.  Simply put, I'm a road bike novice swamped with information from the internet!

I'm currently riding a 2002 Specialized Hardock Sport MTB.  A great bike that I love but after 17 years I think it’s time to spruce up the garage.  The bulk of my riding is an off road commute, anywhere between 14 km and 40 km depending on weather and how late I am for work that day.  The ride itself is a mix of farm tracks, back roads, and dedicated cycle path complete with tree roots trying to burst through the surfacing.

I've got my heart set on a road bike as opposed to another MTB and the Croix de Fer 20 has caught my eye.  I’ve had a short test ride and no doubt a lovely bike but at 1350 GBP a bit more than I really want to pay. 

I like that fact that it is British design, versatile, made of steel (as I have been known to crash off occasionally) and built up with good components etc.  People say it is a heavy bike but I’m not that fussed:  I’m not into performance cycling and can trade off the weight argument against other things.  However, while the marketing people have done their job on me very well, I’ve done a little research into historic pricing of the Croix de Fer and other Genesis bikes.  Year on year they get more expensive which begs a question about value for money.  A few online retailers are offering 0% finance which softens the blow of the price tag, but doesn’t change the fact that the price is still more than I really want to pay. I also work for a luddite organisation which doesn't offer Cycle to Work.

Anyhow, to cut to the rub, would any of you have an opinion on the bike, or able to nominate an alternative?  All of the factors above are flexible to some degree.  In terms of cost, the ideal would be not greater than 1000 GBP (for a built up bike, not one I have to assemble myself) though there is also flexibility in that for the ‘right’ product.  The problem I have is I don’t know what the ‘right’ product is and there is too much marketed information on the internet!  Help!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
0 likes

I built a tourer around a Genesis Tour De Fer frameset and did about 4000 miles on it last year.  Brilliant.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Genesis frameset, but as I don't favour Shimano, I'd be unlikely to buy a complete bike.

The Planet X Kaffenback was very similar to the Croix, but seems to have been replaced by the "Holdsworth Elan". With SRAM Apex 11, it's currently £800

I have a Kaff, and liked it in both of the guises it has been in  Ie flat/drop bar

henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Try this - ex-display Genesis bikes at reasonable-ish prices:

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/clearance/bikes/ex-display?manufacturer=231502

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Genesis Day One '18 model. I upgraded certain bits to make it a tidy single speed

joncomelately | 5 years ago
0 likes

British, well made, versatile and good components are also covered by the Ribble bikes, if your attention hasn't yet wandered there. I've recently got a new CGR AL which I'd recommend as a good commuter over varied terrain, and can be had under a grand - although as ever, you can spend more and more on components!

Goldfever4 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Would you consider a second hand bike?

MrB123 | 5 years ago
0 likes

If I was you I'd save up and get the bike you really want. You'll not regret it in the long term.

The CDFs are superb bikes. Had mine for 4 years and it has never missed a beat. Super comfy over very long distances and usable on and off road.

Yes, it's a heavy old thing but I find on average it's only about 1mph slower than my carbon summer bike despite the mud guards and 30mm tyres.

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
1 like

Cdf10 has a downgraded frame and cable discs for £250 saving. Think the 20 is prob worth it?

You are looking for a road bike- is this to ride on roads or the same farm tracks/back roads/cycle tracks as your current commute (ie are you after a road bike or a gravel bike)?

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Croix de fer 10 is a much cheaper bike.

mike the bike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Now then Mr Pony,

Like you I have always had a soft spot for Genesis, I've enjoyed four years with a Croix de Fer and still run an Equilibrium as my daily ride.  They are good machines but, as you say, can't compete with the low prices offered by the big boys.

You might try the Evans website and have a look at their Adventure and Gravel bikes, in particular their own brand Pinnacle Arkose could fit your needs.  It came a close second to the Croix when I compiled my shortlist.  They also offer some of the lesser known American brands to tickle your fancy.

Best of luck .....

Latest Comments