Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Cosmic free hub quieter than I'd like?

I've recently bought some Mavic Cosmics (with an alu brake surface). Like a lot of roadies the idea of a freehub that can be heard 100 meters away is ideal and with higher end wheels the noise seems to increase. This is where the issue starts...

Before fitting the cassette (SRAM Force) the freehub sounded fairly loud. I took it into a bike shop today to have the cassette fitted, I'd do this myself but lacked the tools today, when I went back to get the wheel it was fitted to my bike but I don't know if the mechanic greased the hubs. Ever since the hub seems quiet - it ticks and squeels at speed but less that my Vision Team 35 freehub that cost £600 less. 

Is there a chance this is just grease preventing the noise or are mavic hubs just not that loud?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a fan of loud hubs.. my Hunt wheels have very loud hubs and everytime I freewheel it's like I'm being passive aggressive to the person in front.. sort of like a buzzy 'hurry up'.. 

They are useful for pedestrians however and I fine negate the requirement for a bell. 

Milk Tray | 4 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
0 likes

Heavily greasing pawls and ratchets is not a great idea as it can cause the pawls to stick and make them slower to engage.

A very light smear of grease on the ratchet ring to aid travel over the ratchet ramps and a small blob at each pawl's pivot point is all that's required.

In isolation, freehub noise output isn't a good or bad sign, so don't obsess over it unless something else is wrong.

mikepulsifer | 5 years ago
0 likes

It's the grease.  My LBS mech likes to use enough grease to make the bike stealthy.  Not for stealth's sake, but for the sake of wear and tear.

nopants | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a cosmic freehub and it's MUCH louder that any of the others I have had. It is a few years old so may not be the same model as yours. I hate the noise, and when greased it gets quieter for a short period, but not long. 

It seems very unlikley the shop would have greased/serviced the freehub if you just asked them to fit a cassette, but it's possible. 

In my experience, it will get louder.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
2 likes

Each to their own, can't stand loud road hubs myself - apart from the actual noise and the 'look at me !!' element, it upsets the engineering part of my head. Useful on shared paths and tracks mind, especially early in the morning...

kil0ran replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
1 like

fukawitribe wrote:

Each to their own, can't stand loud road hubs myself - apart from the actual noise and the 'look at me !!' element, it upsets the engineering part of my head. Useful on shared paths and tracks mind, especially early in the morning...

Useful on towpaths when you encounter anglers with Ultegra reels  4

jh27 replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbospoke-TS004-Exhaust-System/dp/B01DZXE8PG/r...

jh27 replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbospoke-TS004-Exhaust-System/dp/B01DZXE8PG/r...

ktache | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hope and chris king - big on the angry bees, new xtr - silent (apparently)

madcarew | 5 years ago
2 likes

I don't think hub loudness is linearly correlated to price

Latest Comments