Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cateye Wearable Mini rear light. How bright?

I can’t find any reviews of the Cateye Wearable Mini. Has anyone got one and if so, how bright is it?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

joeytwobastards | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got one and use it on a backpack.  It's noticeable in full darkness, probably not at any other time.  It's paired with an Exposure Blaze on the seatpost and another Exposure (Link+) on the helmet.  Batteries last forever, it's OK as an additional light but I wouldn't want to rely on it on its own.

nopants | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got a wearable mini, and I use it on a helmet. It's not very bright at all, nothing compared to any of the others mentioned in the thread. It is very small and light though, and runs for ever on a coin battery.

21pavone | 5 years ago
1 like

Forgot to add, depending on which bike I’m riding, I currently use either a Knog Blinder or a Lezyne Zecto Drive, both on pulse.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

As per your OPI thought the Wearable Mini was the only one able to worn on a lid?

The Wearable X is only able to be mounted on clothing or backpack etc as far as I'm aware so some sort of hack will need to be found.

21pavone | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks all.

I’ve had the Fibre Flare and wasn’t impressed. And being a short-house any rear light on my seat pin is going to be l-o-w. I know where to position a light on my Giro Cinder for it to be effective as I get someone to check it before the final fixing.

Tried a TT bike for one season but couldn’t get on with it so use a road bike. And being someone of advancing years, I’m not going to be winning any awards, I’m doing it to keep fit and to keep involved, so that does me fine.

Anyroadup, I’ve gone for a Wearable X, bargain price from Cycle Republic. Will require some ingenuity to fit it but I’m sure I’ll manage.

Perversely, many moons ago we didn’t use lights when TTing, but then again they were a pile of crap.

ktache | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Fibre Flare helmet light, it's good, but only really of use at night, it's not as bright as a "normal" LED.  Best helmet rear light I have had.  But Fibre Flare, the company seems to have gone now.

I did get an Exposure Red Eye Micro to stick in the back of my Axis, and that seemed good while it lasted, but inevitably wasn't there one day, if I were to get another one I would have to figure out a way of keeping it, a small lanyard perhaps.

Now, just had a little look, and if I were to be a lot of city centre riding I might get Exposure's Red Eye Rear Helmet Light, would still plug in my Axis, good and bright, probably very visible in gloom.  Looks like Exposure no longer make them but old stock does seem to be available.  Of course you need an Exposure front helmet light to slave it to.  Hmmm, might get one just in case.

There doesn't seem to be a good range of stand alone rear helmet lights.  I think that a small COB unit unit from Knog or Moon might surfice. 

Podc | 5 years ago
0 likes

I know you said a a crash hat mounted light, but consider the Cateye Rapid Mini and the seat rail mount. With a bit of fiddling it can be made to fit nicely right up under the saddle and so is quite high, and it's nice and bright.

21pavone | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks.

Apologies, should have maybe been clearer in my post.

I’ve loads of rear lights. Fortunately, I don’t have to ride at night any longer, but when I did I used at least 3 or 4. For commuting it was 2 on the bike, 1 on my backpack and 1 on my crash hat ( a Cateye secured with a reflective helmet headband), obviously minus the backpack one when not commuting.

I want a decent small light to use on my crash hat for when it’s dull and for time trialling. One on the seatpin is all very well but it’s not high enough for my liking so need a decent wearable one - I’ve a Topeak Tail Lux but it’s not very bright - and the Mini seemed, on paper, to fit the bill. Back to the drawing board.

Simon E replied to 21pavone | 5 years ago
0 likes

21pavone wrote:

I want a decent small light to use on my crash hat for when it’s dull and for time trialling. One on the seatpin is all very well but it’s not high enough for my liking so need a decent wearable one - I’ve a Topeak Tail Lux but it’s not very bright - and the Mini seemed, on paper, to fit the bill. Back to the drawing board.

If you have a reasonable TT position then a helmet-mounted light may not help make you more visible; and even if you don't how can you be sure it is pointing in the right direction?

I attend a good number of time trials and even the most aero riders' can be seen easily if they have a bright seat post mounted rear light.

As per ktache's post, is there a small COB type unit you could use? Otherwise consider Cateye RM-1 seat rail mount for the TL610 etc, get creative with zipties and find somewhere to put something like a Rapid Mini, Rapid Micro (21g) or Bontrager Flare R City - all very small but with decent output and run times.

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

550 hours of runtime from 1 x CR2032 = nowhere near good enough IMHO, especially in this age of super-dazzling LED headlights.

Don't waste your money, use a decent rear light.

And back it up with reflectives, which are far more effective than a little red pimple. You can get waterproof 3M tape in various colours, black tape that reflects white and even iron-on reflective tape; clothing with reflective panels, Salzmann spoke reflectors, clip on pedal reflectors for SPD pedals (Shimano PD22)...

Latest Comments