Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Uncomfortable Saddle After How Long?

Appreciate this is a very personal subject but here goes anyway:

I ride a Fizik Antares VS & have done for the past 3 years but on longer rides I find it gets very uncomfortable.

Most of my rides are 1 - 2.5 hours which is fine but anything 3 hours & over my backside is sore. I do all the usual things like changing position & getting out of the saddle every 15 minutes or so but still the same.

My question is at what point do I think about changing? Is that just the way it is for 3 hours plus for me? Should I just MTFO & get on with it? I've always ridden a saddle with a pressure relief channel & the newer Fizik models have a cut out so maybe I should be trying that out?

Testing saddles out can get very expensive which is something I'd rather avoid obviously but I just can't get this nagging doubt out of my mind that it shouldn't be like that & it should be more comfortable for longer. Maybe I'm kidding myself.

Just wondered if what I'm feeling is the norm or if I should be doing something about it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

ibr17xvii replied to maviczap | 5 years ago
0 likes

maviczap wrote:

Go get a bike fit and see if the fitter can see what might be causing the problem.

One in my area does a bike fit option to sort a saddle out, and does Selle SMP test saddles, and I know one of the phyios at the Boardman prrfperform centre also does them, or did when she was working at her own practice in Essex. I forget her name right now.

I'm having a similar issue with my Fizik Aliante Vs which was my saddle of choice, but lately it's causing discomfort over longer rides.

I've considered a bike fit a number of times but never really felt the need I guess. I have a Specialized store fairly near to me & I think they do saddle tests so that could be an option if I didn't want to get a full fit.

I gues it's just a case of trial & error to see what's what but either way it's a bit frustrating.

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Something's not quite right for sure. You should be able to find a saddle which while not 'comfortable' (unless you go for a brooks) they should be bearable enough not to cause much thought.

You'll find 'most' decent local bike shops will have saddles for loaning out to test. 

Saddle height could be an issue, as could an imbalance in leg length or even something as your saddle fore/aft position not being right. As also mentioned it might just be your shorts? I've got shorts which I can wear for 90mins, beyond that they are torture. I've got a specific long distance pair as well which are pretty plush.

ibr17xvii replied to peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Something's not quite right for sure. You should be able to find a saddle which while not 'comfortable' (unless you go for a brooks) they should be bearable enough not to cause much thought.

You'll find 'most' decent local bike shops will have saddles for loaning out to test. 

Saddle height could be an issue, as could an imbalance in leg length or even something as your saddle fore/aft position not being right. As also mentioned it might just be your shorts? I've got shorts which I can wear for 90mins, beyond that they are torture. I've got a specific long distance pair as well which are pretty plush.

Shorts - as above same here.

As for bearable I'm just not sure if I'm being too soft & that's just the way it is. Don't get me wrong after say 60 miles my backside is pretty sore but it's not absolute agony & it's not gonna ruin my life. I guess that's what I need to figure out.

Some really good points here, thanks all.

I'm thinking the 1st port of call might be to get a different saddle off eBay to try out & take it from there. Specialized seem to get a good rap & I also used Selle Italia a few years ago which I got on with albeit I wasn't riding for as long as I do now.

Yorkshie Whippet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at what at what you are wearing.

I had an issue and found out one leg was shorter than the other. A wedge in the cleat allowed me to ride for hour with no issues. That was until I change shorts and it was back to being murdered, quick test with one manufactuer and I was fine, whilst another left me wanting.

ibr17xvii replied to Yorkshie Whippet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshie Whippet wrote:

I had an issue and found out one leg was shorter than the other. A wedge in the cleat allowed me to ride for hour with no issues. That was until I change shorts and it was back to being murdered, quick test with one manufactuer and I was fine, whilst another left me wanting.

Good point.

I like Castelli shorts & usually save my higher end shorts with the better pad for long rides but even this doesn't stop my backside being sore after 3+ hours.

ibr17xvii replied to Yorkshie Whippet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshie Whippet wrote:

How did you find out about your leg length imbalance as a matter of interest? Bike fit?

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Should add I've been reasonably happy with the Antares, shorter rides are no problem but when I did a century last year I could hardly walk at the end of it & not just cos of tired legs!

I remember Alex Dowsett once saying "it's never gonna be like an armchair, just find a saddle that hurts the least" & I guess that's what I'm looking for.

dottigirl | 5 years ago
0 likes

Where, exactly, are you getting sore/pain?

Is the saddle the correct width for your sit bones?

Is the saddle level or nose slightly pointed down?

Do you ride in an aggressive or relaxed position?

BTW,  some saddle issues can come from the saddle being too high.

ibr17xvii replied to dottigirl | 5 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Where, exactly, are you getting sore/pain?

Is the saddle the correct width for your sit bones?

Is the saddle level or nose slightly pointed down?

Do you ride in an aggressive or relaxed position?

BTW,  some saddle issues can come from the saddle being too high.

Pain is in sit bones primarily.

I think so, it 142mm wide & my sit bones are approx 110-115mm (not measured scientifically though)

Relaxed upright postion more than anyhting, not much time in the drops, mainly on the hoods. 

Pretty sure saddle height is OK but again not had a bike fit or anything.

SellMatt | 5 years ago
0 likes

Exacty the same as Sadly Biggins although mine was an Antares. I did get measured up for saddle width with my Toupe.  

Sadly Biggins | 5 years ago
1 like

If you've been using it for 3 years and it's still uncomfortable then I'd say it's time for a change.  If it's still painful, it won't get any better.  Your situation sounds similar to mine: my bike came with a Fizik Arione and it was fine for short rides but would be painful after longer rides, even to the extent of causing pain when urinating for around 24 hours afterwards.  The Arione has a long nose and I think that's where the problems came from.  Anyway, I switched to a Specialized Toupe with a perineal cut out a few years ago and have never had a problem since. 

Pages

Latest Comments