Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Itzulia Basque Country

Yeah....time to go climbing and rolling. Fields are getting stronger and stronger, no idea where to even start to try and unpick this one after the TT...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

127 comments

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Crazy start, 50km & break hasn't gone yet.

Demarchi picking up mountain points as they go along.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I thought it may turn out to be a strange one today. That Cat1 is very well placed and really tough. That’s where they try to ditch Schachmann and maybe the end of De Marchi’s fun for today.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

I thought it may turn out to be a strange one today. That Cat1 is very well placed and really tough. That’s where they try to ditch Schachmann and maybe the end of De Marchi’s fun for today.

Looks like the fun has begun even earlier, QS going hard on the Cat3 before the first Cat1

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Looks like the fun has begun even earlier, QS going hard on the Cat3 before the first Cat1

Can’t see Landa...has he gone already?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

All the main contenders there I think.

The next climb will probably thin things down a bit.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

All the main contenders there I think.

The next climb will probably thin things down a bit.

Sanchez is an absolutely beautiful rider. Technically he is the best rider in the peleton...completely flat back, totally still, and an effortless pedal style about him. Fantastic.

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Looks very strong Minardi.  My team:

YATES

IZAGIRRE

POGACAR (Will he work for Dan?)

DE MARCHI (Will he go again?)

LANDA (Has he found his legs yet this year?)

MARTINEZ

KONRAD (Will he play second fiddle to Buchmann?)

MARTIN D. 

I dropped Mas after he and most of his team crashed and Schachmann as the profile looks too hard.  Bad planning and crash marred tour for me so no transfers left - Worried moi? no

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

Looks very strong Minardi.  My team:

YATES

IZAGIRRE

POGACAR (Will he work for Dan?)

DE MARCHI (Will he go again?)

LANDA (Has he found his legs yet this year?)

MARTINEZ

KONRAD (Will he play second fiddle to Buchmann?)

MARTIN D. 

I dropped Mas after he and most of his team crashed and Schachmann as the profile looks too hard.  Bad planning and crash marred tour for me so no transfers left - Worried moi? no

I went for a Landa over Buchmann in the end as well. Not even sure why...Schachmann speaking this morning saying he intends to try and keep his jersey put doubt in my mind about who was leading who in BOH and then just had to decide. Landa with no form at all in a year apart from one win against a poor GC field is a big risk...on the plus side he looked ok yesterday.

1 like

He who dares wins (but more often than not loses) -

YATES A.
IZAGIRRE I.
BUCHMANN
FUGLSANG
MARTIN D.
MARTINEZ
POGACAR
BRAVO

Schachmann dropped for Buchmann

Konrad dropped for Pogacar

Iturria dropped for Bravo

3 transfers left for tomorrow.

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

He who dares wins (but more often than not loses) -

YATES A.
IZAGIRRE I.
BUCHMANN
FUGLSANG
MARTIN D.
MARTINEZ
POGACAR
BRAVO

Schachmann dropped for Buchmann

Konrad dropped for Pogacar

Iturria dropped for Bravo

3 transfers left for tomorrow.

Couldn't face dropping Schachmann, though I see the logic.  He will still lead the points competition and could still be well placed in the young riders even if he drops significantly down the GC.  I think he will give it his best go.

My team is identical except Schachmann for Buchmann.

Two transfers left.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Crikey....this stage really does have a bite to it. Big decision to be made I suppose.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Back on top of the purist league for this race. 

Gecko cyclist close behind with his Fuglsang vs my Kwiatowski......Grrrrr....I think he may win that one somehow...

Higher in the season purist than the season overall now...Crikey....3rd and 4th....that's a novelty...

Gecko-cyclist replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko cyclist close behind with his Fuglsang vs my Kwiatowski......Grrrrr....I think he may win that one somehow...

Higher in the season purist than the season overall now...Crikey....3rd and 4th....that's a novelty...

[/quote

I'm fortunate that despite all the crashes I've only lost relatively cheap breakaway riders for the next few days - Bevin and Lastra, so far the core GC climbers are unscathed. I wouldn't be surprised if De Marchi picked up a hat full of points for you though.....

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist][quote=Dr Winston wrote:

[/quote I'm fortunate that despite all the crashes I've only lost relatively cheap breakaway riders for the next few days - Bevin and Lastra, so far the core GC climbers are unscathed. I wouldn't be surprised if De Marchi picked up a hat full of points for you though.....

De Marchi should get a few for sure but that climb at the end of today’s stage makes this day a big one for the GC boys. They may even fancy catching the break at that first cat1....

0 likes

Just checked out the route and the final climb is done from an easier direction than last year.

So Buchmann, Konrad, etc should lose less time than they did last year.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Just checked out the route and the final climb is done from an easier direction than last year.

Really.....mmmm....Is it an easier side that is easier enough that they get used to try and shield Schachman up instead of riding for the stage  win?...or at least try to shield him.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Really.....mmmm....Is it an easier side that is easier enough that they get used to try and shield Schachman up instead of riding for the stage  win?...or at least try to shield him.

Bookies have him basically evens for the overall with Izaguirre second favourite at 4/1

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

I'm not sure we will see much of Schachmann after the first 1cat climb.

Buchmann will not be riding for a top 5, and Konrad top 10.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

What the very hell....I went to mow my garden with a very pleasing Dan Martin in second place and returned to see it was actually Pogacar in disguise. 

0 likes

My team for today -

YATES A.
IZAGIRRE I.
SCHACHMANN
FUGLSANG
MARTIN D.
MARTINEZ
KONRAD
ITURRIA

Decided to stick with Schachmann.

Iturria is in the break but will probably be the only one to score no points.

6 transfers left

stevemarks replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

My team for today -

YATES A.
IZAGIRRE I.
SCHACHMANN
FUGLSANG
MARTIN D.
MARTINEZ
KONRAD
ITURRIA

Decided to stick with Schachmann.

Iturria is in the break but will probably be the only one to score no points.

6 transfers left

Bora are all over this race, They really should win it now, Manny Buchmann can attack Konrad is no mug in the mountains either. Bora are on fire!

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Bora are all over this race, They really should win it now, Manny Buchmann can attack Konrad is no mug in the mountains either. Bora are on fire!

Teams took it easy on the hard climb today.

Tomorrow they won't and Schachmann could completely drop out of GC.

Konrad and Buchmann are OK but in last year's race they both dropped time on tomorrow's final climb. Izagirre gained over 30s on them both last year, I expect similar tomorrow.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Konrad and Buchmann are OK but in last year's race they both dropped time on tomorrow's final climb. Izagirre gained over 30s on them both last year, I expect similar tomorrow.

Aye...he'll do we'll to hang on. Shame about Kwia....he could also have had a good day today. 

I like Buchmann....does what he does well and usually to order...5th or 6th place incoming.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Aye...he'll do we'll to hang on. Shame about Kwia....he could also have had a good day today. 

I like Buchmann....does what he does well and usually to order...5th or 6th place incoming.

stevemarks replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

I know what you're saying although I will hold onto Schachmann as he'll be riding with the jersey and has a minute over almost everyone and 1.30 plus over Landa in 9th spot. He is stronger this year and rode quite well in Catalunya only dropping 3 mins or so to the winners with two climbs much longer than these. I hope if the team rides together he can win this outright, although I could see why they might stick by Buchmann.

So Landa and Mas again tomorrow are the question marks, Landa strikes me as still making a recovery from the collar bone break, and Mas fell yesterday, Hmm should be between yates Fuglsang and Martinez, anyone else to throw into the pot?

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

I know what you're saying although I will hold onto Schachmann as he'll be riding with the jersey and has a minute over almost everyone and 1.30 plus over Landa in 9th spot. He is stronger this year and rode quite well in Catalunya only dropping 3 mins or so to the winners with two climbs much longer than these. I hope if the team rides together he can win this outright, although I could see why they might stick by Buchmann.

So Landa and Mas again tomorrow are the question marks, Landa strikes me as still making a recovery from the collar bone break, and Mas fell yesterday, Hmm should be between yates Fuglsang and Martinez, anyone else to through into the pot?

Dan Martin.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

So Landa and Mas again tomorrow are the question marks, Landa strikes me as still making a recovery from the collar bone break, and Mas fell yesterday, Hmm should be between yates Fuglsang and Martinez, anyone else to through into the pot?

Dan Martin.

Don't you mean Pogacar?

Theuns maybe but I'm not convinced about his form.

Gaudu perhaps.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Dan Martin.

Don't you mean Pogacar?

Gaudu perhaps.

Dunno...not sure who's riding for who...

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Dan Martin.

Don't you mean Pogacar?

Gaudu perhaps.

Dunno...not sure who's riding for who...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

I’m thinking Dan Martin may fancy he can drive it home today. Could be a bit of looking around going on but caution really isn’t his game...and he suddenly finds himself nicely placed.

Pages

Latest Comments