Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Itzulia Basque Country

Yeah....time to go climbing and rolling. Fields are getting stronger and stronger, no idea where to even start to try and unpick this one after the TT...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

127 comments

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

NEWSFLASH! Alaphilippe it out, just saw it on Twitter. He won't start today.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

NEWSFLASH! Alaphilippe it out, just saw it on Twitter. He won't start today.

Crikey...Enric Mas for tomorrow then...Are we still good on that start time?

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Alaphilippe was planning to ride for Mas in the last few stages, the climbing is too much for him.

I'm interested to see what happens today, I think the climb is too hard for Schachmann and he will get dropped but tipsters have him winning the stage.

I am sure Yates, Landa and others will attack, Izagirre will struggle to stay with them but Fuglsang will stay with them. I could see a group of 5 or 6 staying away to the finish.

Still undecided whether to leave Schachmann in or not. The only thing I'm sure is that whichever way I decide will be wrong.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Alaphilippe was planning to ride for Mas in the last few stages, the climbing is too much for him.

I'm interested to see what happens today, I think the climb is too hard for Schachmann and he will get dropped but tipsters have him winning the stage.

I am sure Yates, Landa and others will attack, Izagirre will struggle to stay with them but Fuglsang will stay with them. I could see a group of 5 or 6 staying away to the finish.

Still undecided whether to leave Schachmann in or not. The only thing I'm sure is that whichever way I decide will be wrong.

Well on the basis that nobody will actually ship him out given that they have Alla to deal with i’d Keep him. Safety in numbers sometimes with fantasy games. Alternatively if tou’re In with a chance of winning this one then it’s a decent gamble. Kwia can also find the hurt if the hammer goes down sometimes as well.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have 2 transfers left too, but I kept Alaphilippe and got rid of Kwiatkowski. I'll probably swap Alaphilippe out for the summit finish tomorrow.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

No idea what to do now.

I've taken Alaphilippe out but left Kwiatkowski in. Reversed yesterdays transfer and bought Jon Izzy back in. 

Kwiatkowski

Izaguirre

Lambrect

Yates

Schachmann

Martinez

Madaous

Ulissi

I like my team although I know what Muphy's law means.

I only have 2 transfers left for emergencies, but at least I know I don't have to make any difficult decisions.

Lol

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

No idea what to do now.

I've taken Alaphilippe out but left Kwiatkowski in. Reversed yesterdays transfer and bought Jon Izzy back in. 

Kwiatkowski

Izaguirre

Lambrect

Yates

Schachmann

Martinez

Madaous

Ulissi

I only have 2 transfers left for emergencies, but at least I know I don't have to make any difficult decisions.

Lol

Good team. Good day for you today but a few who may fall backwards tomorrow. You’ll be having to use your two transfers I think. I resisted splitting my funds up for a full 8 today in the hope of a jamboree tomorrow. I’m thinking Minardi has called it right tactically as above.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

No idea what to do now.

Kwiatkowski

Izaguirre

Lambrect

Yates

Schachmann

Martinez

Madaous

Ulissi

Lol

Good team. Good day for you today but a few who may fall backwards tomorrow. You’ll be having to use your two transfers I think. I resisted splitting my funds up for a full 8 today in the hope of a jamboree tomorrow. I’m thinking Minardi has called it right tactically as above.

I'm not convinced Landa is ready yet, I'd like to see how he gets on today. Mas and Fuglsang would be my prefered pair to bring in for the weekend

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Jeez...managed to remain 3rd in the season league and up to 5th in purist....seemed like every rider I picked had failed...I suppose we was all in the same boat today.

Amybody risking jumping off Alaphillipe early?

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Alaphilippe finishes

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Alaphilippe finishes

Good...but will he start?

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Alaphilippe finishes

He looked okay considering the amount of time he spent on the ground

stevemarks replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Alaphilippe finishes

He looked okay considering the amount of time he spent on the ground

...and what happened to Kwiatkowski?

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

He crashed at the same time, looks like he accompanied Alaphilippe to the finish.

stevemarks replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

He crashed at the same time, looks like he accompanied Alaphilippe to the finish.

Thanks

jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Reckon today's big crash is going to produce some big splits in the Purist leagues (no spoilers).

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Nightmare day....gonna come down to who had fewest fallers and DNS’s...

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bevin abandons.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Bevin abandons.

Dennis DNS too, I guess they both have health problems.

3 stages, 0 points for me from Bevin.

Did you get Bravo for today ?

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't resist casting the dead wood aside and used up a couple of transfers to bring in Madouas and Lambrecht. I too was struggling to see where I might use them otherwise. Maybe the break makes it today but I think I'm still better off having 8 competitive riders at this stage.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Damn...Put Bravo in, took Bravo out...in, out, in, out...shake it all about. Damn again.

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Damn...Put Bravo in, took Bravo out...in, out, in, out...shake it all about. Damn again.

Although...I also had Amezqueta in at one point...no idea what he’s doing floating in between the peleton and lead group for no reason though...probably thinking “what the hell am I doing here”...

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Although...I also had Amezqueta in at one point...no idea what he’s doing floating in between the peleton and lead group for no reason though...probably thinking “what the hell am I doing here”...

The course wasn't as difficult as I expected, they had relayed all the concrete roads and made them wider. I had a look on Google World and they looked a lot narrower. The only person to miss out badly is Yates.

No changes to my team today. I'll probably have transfers left over at the end of the race.

I was tempted to bring Madouas in but decided to stick with what I had.

Hopefully Bevin can do something tomorrow but I doubt it.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

The course wasn't as difficult as I expected, they had relayed all the concrete roads and made them wider. I had a look on Google World and they looked a lot narrower. The only person to miss out badly is Yates.

No changes to my team today. I'll probably have transfers left over at the end of the race.

I was tempted to bring Madouas in but decided to stick with what I had.

Hopefully Bevin can do something tomorrow but I doubt it.

Big fall for my purist team incoming. 1st yesterday with a non Alla team. My thinking was that Yates wouldn’t beat him but he wouldn’t be far behind him on every stage...and the extra funds allowed a full squad...which Alla didn’t.  That plan is now in tatters. It wasn’t a bad call actually this time when you looked at what the extra funds meant.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Big fall for my purist team incoming. 1st yesterday with a non Alla team. My thinking was that Yates wouldn’t beat him but he wouldn’t be far behind him on every stage...and the extra funds allowed a full squad...which Alla didn’t.  That plan is now in tatters. It wasn’t a bad call actually this time when you looked at what the extra funds meant.

I have Alaphilippe in the purist but seriously considered going for 2 less expensive riders. I expected him to do better yesterday and I now think 2 cheaper riders will prove to be the better pick.

Yates now has the freedom to attack and get away on the last 3 stages.

Tomorrow is probably a day for the break, unless Alaphilippe wants another stage win. Although CCC, Caja Rural & Euskadi might help out with the chase.

Lots of the potential break riders lost lots of time today.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I have Alaphilippe in the purist but seriously considered going for 2 less expensive riders. I expected him to do better yesterday and I now think 2 cheaper riders will prove to be the better pick.

Yates now has the freedom to attack and get away on the last 3 stages.

Tomorrow is probably a day for the break, unless Alaphilippe wants another stage win. Although CCC, Caja Rural & Euskadi might help out with the chase.

Lots of the potential break riders lost lots of time today.

So many good riders in the 15.0 > 25.0 bracket made going without him a distinct possibility this time...not much to shout about above that price really...just Kwia...It did of course need them to keep in the GC running just behind Alla though.

Quite a steep looking kick tomorrow....have you done a reccie on it?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

So many good riders in the 15.0 > 25.0 bracket made going without him a distinct possibility this time...not much to shout about above that price really...just Kwia...It did of course need them to keep in the GC running just behind Alla though.

I tried to post the climb here but it didn't work.

Not very steep, the main part is ~ 5km @ 5%

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I tried to post the climb here but it didn't work.

Not very steep, the main part is ~ 5km @ 5%

Mmmm. Neither one thing nor the other. No trains to speak of to drive them up it either. Could be a day for the GC contenders to just roll home....Maybe Yates could exact some revenge....(clutches at straws)....

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just checked out the rule book and it was the fastest times up the hill that counted for KoM points. So the difference between INT1 & INT2 times n the ITT.

I was sure that Schachmann was presented with the KoM shirt too, there was a photo on twitter. Bora thought he had won too.

However in a later tweet it was announced Martinez had won it.

All 3 were on road bikes, so I though there might have been an odd rule discounting ITT bikes from KoM competition. cheeky

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Just checked out the rule book and it was the fastest times up the hill that counted for KoM points. So the difference between INT1 & INT2 times n the ITT.

I was sure that Schachmann was presented with the KoM shirt too, there was a photo on twitter. Bora thought he had won too.

However in a later tweet it was announced Martinez had won it.

All 3 were on road bikes, so I though there might have been an odd rule discounting ITT bikes from KoM competition. cheeky

It wasn't me who scored it, but I checked the Itzulia website and it has Martinez - Carthy - Izagirre. If that changes then we'll update the scores. There's always stuff like this at these sort of races so I'll keep my eyes on it.

Pages

Latest Comments