Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon hanger removal

Hi guys,

Hope you have some tips. I have a Canyon bike about 18 months old (one careful previous owner on the trainer so I got it nearly new last spring.) Rode it about 8000K since then. I was taking the back wheel off to replace brake pads and the hanger broke off. It is a two part hanger with three screws holding an outer plate. The main part of the hanger is still attached to the mech. It wouldn't go back together and seemed to be corroded slightly. I ordered the replacement part from Canyon and I've now been trying to fit it...

Here is the real question. The three tiny hex bolts just spin in the plate when I try to remove them, The stick out a bit through the inside of the frame. I've tried pushing them with my fingernail but they just spin in place when I try to unscrew them. I have the right size allen key. There just doesn't see to be anything they are threaded against, yet they also won't move outwards. Has anyone else experienced this and have any removal tips.

Feel a bit queezy thinking about how my entire bike of off the road because of tiny components less than a gram.

thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Organon | 5 years ago
0 likes

and

Organon | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Drinfinity  that is exactly the one. Why do manufacturers use these strange spec items? They aren't standard hex bolt. I don't fancy taking a hammer to my drop out without the proper tools. So I guess I will need to take it to my local Cycle Surgery. 

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
1 like

Also these are torx bolts not Allen key, but there are all sorts of variations.

can you post a picture?

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
0 likes

If it is like this, the threaded hole the bolts go into is in the part still attached to the rear mech. It should be possible to ‘drift’ the bolts out from the inside. By drift I mean hit with a hammer and a punch.

Interesting that it has been a long while on a trainer. That can put all sorts of wrenching on the dropout that they wouldn’t get on the road. It might be that the bolts worked slightly loose, allowing the plates to move, and bend these tiny bolts enough so they won’t fall easily out of the hole.

Latest Comments