Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 7020 shifter rattle

Anyone suffered with rattles from the new 105 hydraulic shifters. The only way I can stop it is by riding with my fingers on the shifters or of course by riding on smooth roads (tricky in SE UK)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

flimflamvanham | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd be interested too. And eBay seller should still be an authorized dealer? But I'd be surprised if they did not allow return to Shimano UK. Only because it's a well known and widespread issue affecting many of these levers. 

that said, when I spoke to Shimano NA they advised that yes, they would warranty them. But since I was not in the US (i'm Canadian) the warranty process was to bring to any bike shop and they'd send them in. If in the US then I'd have been able to send them directly to shimano NA. Which is what I expect you'll be able to do (shimano uk)

Of course when I brought the levers into the LBS they wanted proof of purchase which I provided, but since I purchased them online they refused to assist. They told me shimano wants nothing to do with online sales.  Super.  Maybe don't tell me to take my online purchased levers to any lbs that sells shimano then. 

Wiggybear | 4 years ago
0 likes

I bought my 7020 shifter new on eBay from Taiwan, wonder what Shimano UK will have to say about a warranty claim?

0 likes

I've sent them in for warranty.  

I spoke with shimano NA and they comfirmed they were aware of the issue. 

So I wait and hope warranty is the resolution. I love road riding. I do not like road riding with these and the noise. 

I bet if they had the simple plastic wedge to alter reach rather than the mechanical cam they've incorporated now they'd not have this issue (since the lever never actually rests on the base of the hood as a stop like on the non hydros). Not to mention I would bet most do not care about 6+ reach options. 

other than the noise they brake and shift brilliantly. 

Wiggybear | 4 years ago
0 likes

That video is far worse than the noise I have ever had from mine, truly terrible. 

grizor replied to Wiggybear | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wiggybear wrote:

That video is far worse than the noise I have ever had from mine, truly terrible. 

I guess it's a bit exaggerated as it's in the stand, note that was before I tried adding foam tape/duct tape. Haven't tried it on the road yet.

Interested to know if anyone else has had success with warrantying their levers, or perhaps looking inside and tightening whatever is loose?

0 likes

Bumping this thread as these levers are going to drive me mad due to the rattling. I'm hoping others have come up with a solution and can advise. 

I'm surprised about several things:

that there are only a couple threads on the net about this issue.  Is nobody climbing mountain roads with these levers? Surely anyone riding these on anything short of nice asphalt on the tops experiences how noisy they are. 

that shimano would warranty them. So Shimano acknowledges there was an issue and has remedied it?  I don't believe that (yet) but will be contacting them to find out.  

Does anyone know if the 8020's are afflicted by the same flaw? 

grizor replied to flimflamvanham | 4 years ago
0 likes

flimflamvanham wrote:

Bumping this thread as these levers are going to drive me mad due to the rattling. I'm hoping others have come up with a solution and can advise.

that there are only a couple threads on the net about this issue.  Is nobody climbing mountain roads with these levers? Surely anyone riding these on anything short of nice asphalt on the tops experiences how noisy they are. 

I got a new bike yesterday with the 7020 levers, the right one is terribly rattly when riding off the levers on bumpy surfaces / potholes / whatever.

Tried sticking some 2mm thick foam tape under the hoods and this resolved most of the noise - at least in the stand when I tap the handlebars, seems like a design flaw or manufacturing tolerances.

Video of the offending noise in the stand, it's similar when going over bumpy terrain - https://youtu.be/eme38PgU-yY

I am quite skeptical that warrantying them will actually fix the issue unless anything has changed recently with the design. 

flimflamvanham replied to grizor | 4 years ago
0 likes

grizor wrote:

Tried sticking some 2mm thick foam tape under the hoods and this resolved most of the noise - at least in the stand when I tap the handlebars, seems like a design flaw or manufacturing tolerances.

Sorry, under the hoods? You mean on top of the lever (when you pull ithe lever, the exposed aspect between hood housing and lever tops)?

I'm not thinking the contact point causing the rattle is there.  

I'd like to know if the 8020's also have this rattle because other than the carbon lever and chome lever 'top cap' I thought they were the same internals/construction.

grizor replied to flimflamvanham | 4 years ago
0 likes

flimflamvanham wrote:

grizor wrote:

Sorry, under the hoods? You mean on top of the lever (when you pull ithe lever, the exposed aspect between hood housing and lever tops)?

I'm not thinking the contact point causing the rattle is there.  

This is true the rattle isn't coming from there, but it prevents the lever from fully returning(by about 1mm) into the housing and thus stopping the rattle inside.

Obviously not the most elegant solution but it works until I can get the shifter warrantied.

Also checked the plastic top cap - this seems to have been an issue on the earlier 7000 series but not on the 7020s.

flimflamvanham replied to flimflamvanham | 4 years ago
0 likes

As an update, my levers were warrantied.  I sold the warrranties and got 8020's which are dead silent.  I wasn't even going to try the 7020's again unless I was sure Shimano acknowledged a change in the construction to eliminate the problem.

The 8020's have a very different reach adjust to the 7020's.  The 7020 is dead simple in that ragard but I really think that is the source of the rattle....something in the area of that cam that rotates to adjust the reach.

Anyway, those providing advice based on the old 105 levers (RS505's but not really 105), it's appreciated, but this is a totally different lever. And I too had a rattle on a set of 505's and it was the cover at the front (that one must remove to swap shift cable).  A little piece of tape on the underside to attach it and the lever body together was all it needed.

The RS505's are one of the most disappointing cycling products I've ever owned.  That fatal flaw of the shift cable inevitably wearing through the guide then the shifter body is brutal.

I digress....

Wiggybear | 4 years ago
0 likes

Duct tape is not 100% fix but definitely a great improvement. They only rattle now with my hand off the bar. 

wajs | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have the same problem with right r7020. Anyone found a solution? 

heliuscc | 5 years ago
0 likes

Had same, right hand shifter. Shimano warrantied it, new one fine

Wiggybear | 5 years ago
0 likes

Think I’ve solved it. Folded duct tape to make a little pad and stuck it to top of break lever inside the front of the hood. 

Rich_cb | 5 years ago
0 likes

I had this exact problem with the old 105 hydraulic shifters.

Had to strip the shifter down to find the offending screw.

If I remember correctly it was under the little plastic plate at the front of the hood.

Tbike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yes I've noticed if I take my hand off the right hood there's a rattling sound, don't get it on the left one.

Latest Comments