Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Schwalbe Marathon Supremes

Are Marathon Supremes (folding tyre) as good as Marathon Plus for puncture protection; they're significantly lighter?  My old commuter bike seems to weigh a ton; sure it's old and I need to carry a decent lock(s) and work gear, but I seem to have added weight through 'bullet-proof' components such as the Marathon Pluses.  Probably make no difference but might make me feel better.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 4 years ago
1 like

My experience of commuting with Supremes is mixed.

I found them to be easy to fit, fast rolling and I don't recall getting any punctures...

However... All 4 of these tyres that I used split on the sidewall.

In 15 years of commuting roughly the same route, and indeed the umpteen thousand *recreational" miles I've done in my adult life, using many different brands and qualities of tyre, I have never had a single sidewall failure or cut that immediately wrote a tyre off... until the Supremes.

At £30+ per tyre, Schwalbe would need to send me free ones before I was willing to try them again.

Psi163 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I used the Marathon Supremes (700x40C) on a 2,500km tour last summer and had zero punctures. I never even had to put any additional air in them. Road surfaces were 90% tarmac but included approx. 50% of wonderful UK roads. I am not the lightest rider (I was approx 115Kg last summer).  I was very impressed with their performance compared to some of the other riders’ tyre choices.  My one issue was they seemed quite hard compared to the Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro’s I had been using during training. Simon

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Very interesting mike the bike, had a quick look and they compare tubeless with latex and butyl inners (mountain bikes mind) and I was suprised to see how good latex is.  Sort of justified my choice for the past 20+ years.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at bicyclerollingresistance.com, they go deep into this subject and it's sometimes a real eye-opener.

Best of luck.

Latest Comments