Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bottom bracket and crankset for my Giant Anyroad 2

Hello,

I have bought some time ago new Giant Anyroad 2 2019. After few kilometers I have came to conclusion taht I need bigger geras in front and much stiffer cranks and gears because I am able to bend them enought to touch front derailleur and it bothers me a lot. Could you recommend me anythig better than current FSA Omega crankset and FSA MegaExo bottom bracket? I want to go for 2 gears 50-34. Unfortunately I do not know size of my suport and since I have moved on my own do not have any tools to measure it properly.

Any help would be greately apprecieated. I would like to spend no more than 130-150$

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

czapkens | 4 years ago
0 likes

Great to hear that. Most likely I will go for BB-R60 Ultegra one, I have read some good opinions about it. Most likely I will connect it with 105 crankset as said previously. Thank you very much for any advice in this case.

czapkens | 4 years ago
0 likes

During some additional research I have found on some german website exact model of my bottom bracket. It isFSA suport Road BB-4000 MegaExo 19mm BSA, however I am not sure whether this is correct information from thrustworthy source. I will need to change it either way but for future searches lets hope someone will find this informatiuon useful.

RicePudding | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm currently thinking of doing the same to my Toughroad GX1.

Just for your reference, the FSA Omega is marketed as an 11-speed crankset and it is used on a large share of mixed groupset gravel bikes on the market.

If you're a completionist even the Sora Compact crankset would be an improvement.

That said, its hard to beat the new 105 R7000 crankset for performance and price.

czapkens replied to RicePudding | 4 years ago
0 likes

RicePudding wrote:

Just for your reference, the FSA Omega is marketed as an 11-speed crankset and it is used on a large share of mixed groupset gravel bikes on the market.

Well... I have obviously missed this information. Thank you for pointing that out.  Now I will figure which one I want to buy and buy fitting bottom bracket. Most likely I will go for 105 of Ultegra IF I will find one in reasonable price (new or very slightly used).

RicePudding replied to czapkens | 4 years ago
0 likes
czapkens wrote:

RicePudding wrote:

Well... I have obviously missed this information. Thank you for pointing that out.  Now I will figure which one I want to buy and buy fitting bottom bracket. Most likely I will go for 105 of Ultegra IF I will find one in reasonable price (new or very slightly used).

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across as hostile, I just wanted to further prove that pretty much any crankset will be compatible with your groupset.

When you do find a crank you like, I'd recommend going straight for the Ultegra Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It can usually be found for only a few pounds more than the cheaper Hollowtech II bottom brackets for a slightly higher performance component.

czapkens replied to RicePudding | 4 years ago
0 likes

RicePudding wrote:
czapkens wrote:

RicePudding wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across as hostile, I just wanted to further prove that pretty much any crankset will be compatible with your groupset. When you do find a crank you like, I'd recommend going straight for the Ultegra Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It can usually be found for only a few pounds more than the cheaper Hollowtech II bottom brackets for a slightly higher performance component.

No problem, do not be afraid, I did not take that as agression or anything (I hope that I understood your intentions correctly).  Most likely I have misused some words or sth, English is not my native tounge and I am still learning small things like this.

When saying Ultegra bottom bracket you mean Shimano SM BBR60 Ultegra or something else? If you meant this one than it is cheaper than I expected. But first I need to find what size is my current bottom bracket to fit proper sized one. 

0 likes
czapkens wrote:

RicePudding wrote:
czapkens wrote:

RicePudding wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across as hostile, I just wanted to further prove that pretty much any crankset will be compatible with your groupset. When you do find a crank you like, I'd recommend going straight for the Ultegra Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It can usually be found for only a few pounds more than the cheaper Hollowtech II bottom brackets for a slightly higher performance component.

No problem, do not be afraid, I did not take that as agression or anything (I hope that I understood your intentions correctly).  Most likely I have misused some words or sth, English is not my native tounge and I am still learning small things like this.

When saying Ultegra bottom bracket you mean Shimano SM BBR60 Ultegra or something else? If you meant this one than it is cheaper than I expected. But first I need to find what size is my current bottom bracket to fit proper sized one. 

Yeah sorry I am talking about the BB-R60.

Shimano Hollowtech bottom brackets are cross compatible as long as they are Hollowtech cranks so you can choose any bottom bracket depending on how much you want to spend.

For example I am thinking of using a BB-R60 and using a Tiagra 4700 Compact on my gravel bike.

0 likes
czapkens wrote:

RicePudding wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come across as hostile, I just wanted to further prove that pretty much any crankset will be compatible with your groupset.

When you do find a crank you like, I'd recommend going straight for the Ultegra Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It can usually be found for only a few pounds more than the cheaper Hollowtech II bottom brackets for a slightly higher performance component.

Stef Marazzi | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dunno if 105 R7000 will work, but I can confirm 105 5800 definitely will cos I've done it and it works a treat.

czapkens replied to Stef Marazzi | 4 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

Dunno if 105 R7000 will work, but I can confirm 105 5800 definitely will cos I've done it and it works a treat.

Nice to hear that, however I will look for any information that will be about 107 R7000. If there won't be any I will buy older one maybe

czapkens | 4 years ago
0 likes

So just to clarify If I buy for example brand new SHIMANO 105 FCR7000 it will work with my 9 speed reare gears and chain properly, yes? And stiffness should be much higher than current FSA Omega?

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much any hollowtech 2 bottom bracket and crankset will do the job.

czapkens | 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought about fitting something better like 105 or even Ultegra is budget allows however I am not sure whether 11s or 10s will fit to my 9s chain and rear gears. Will it fit?

Bottom bracket size is smalles problem as soon as I will visit my parents and grab something reasonable to measure.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much anything will be better than a FSA Omega.  Mrs srchar had one on her CAAD8 and it was bendier than a very bendy thing.  Swapped it for a Tiagra 4700 chainset which was far better.

As the rest of your bike's drivetrain is Sora, I'd swap out for a Sora FC-R3000 and the appropriate Shimano bottom bracket.

If you can't measure a bottom bracket, I'd take it to a shop and have them fit it - it's not a big job, but you do need specific tools - either the correct BB wrench or a press, and a torque wrench.

Latest Comments