Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Zipp wheel questions

I'm contemplating some new wheels for my best bike, looking at the Zipp 404 NSW for the front and 808 NSW for the rear.

Being a bit of a luddite I'm not especially keen on tubeless, so I'd plan on sticking with the traditional inner tube system.  A couple of questions for anyone with experience of these wheels:

- What are road-side tube replacements like? I've really struggled unseating a tyre on Hunt wheels before which are another tubeless rim.

- Zipp make a big fuss about tubeless on the latest generation of those wheels, I've not found much mention of running them with tubes other than "don't use latex ones".  I assume traditional tubes are fine?

- I'm thinking about getting 808's for the rear cos they look awesome. You can't get tubes with valves that long, so people use extenders.  I see lots of talk about using ptfe tape to make sure the valve extender doesn't leak, and other tricks.  Am I going to be asking for trouble planning on taking a single spare tube with me and using an extender as required at the road side?

Thanks for any help,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments