Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Thought i’d try an early post for some pre race thoughts...so i’ll Start..

https://www.cyclingstage.com/giro-2019-route/

Loving the last stage....for some of us  old timers it’s like Laurent Fignon all over again. Do we approve?..or do we like the procession and sprint?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

261 comments

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sorry if I've missed a note somewhere, but it looks like we're back up to 45 transfers for the Giro when I think the Vuelta was 42?  Is that deliberate?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Liking these bonus seconds sprints....just need to be more....10, 7, 5....that’d be better...

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Folks Viviani appears to have scored 0 but is in fourth place i the sprints comp?

Am I missing something?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

TDG  waking up and chasing the break...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Disaster for Big Tom and my purist team....damned shame...Doesn’t look good for him.

teckert | 4 years ago
0 likes

He lasted all of about 2km if that...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Roglic saying tonight he would quite like a break to win tomorrow and ditch his jersey....he may well get his wish.

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

My team for today -

ROGLIC
YATES S.
LOPEZ
ULISSI
BATTAGLIN
CIMOLAI
MADOUAS
LONARDI

Pity they don't have live coverage on Eurosport there is a real battle to get in the break.

0 likes

Roglic has been on the floor and will be displaying his ass for the remainder of the stage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6rpZcGW4AA0oL6.png

0 likes

Looks like the break has finally got away -

214 Conti (UAD) 1:59
52 Carboni (BRD) Y 2:53
16 Peters (ALM) Y 3:07
106 Madouas (GFC) Y 3:20
7 Rojas (MOV) 3:33
71 Antunes (EF1) 3:43
2 Amador (MOV) 4:25
88 Serry (DQT) 4:26
26 Masnada (ANS) 5:21
205 Conci (TFS) Y 5:26
196 Oomen (SUN) Y 5:49
143 Bagioli (NIP) Y 7:29
116 Plaza (ICA) 10:00

It could well be Conti in pink tomorrow.

chrisdstripes | 4 years ago
1 like

I hedged - ulissi and roglic if it came back together, Conti and masnada for the break. So I'm all behind the break now!

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Well this could be my worst score ever. If they really try hard I may end up with nothing.

chrisdstripes | 4 years ago
1 like

Well that worked out pretty well  1

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

I’m not sure but I think I may be on about 10 points....possibly less than if i’d Just left my sprinters in. Is there a Lanterne Rouge?

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Needs a brighter mind than mine to unpick how happy the big boys will be with today.
I brought in TDG and played it safe with GC contenders to leave a few hanging around until the TT. Like the good Dr. I earned a resounding 7 points in the process!
With 5 minutes plus advantage, today's break could be filling the GC until the final week and some of them won't give their positions up easily. The giro hasn't thrown up a surprise winner for a while. Are we due one?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Fernando Gaviria abandons....damn...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

TDG giving up on the climb. 

I really don’t understand this race this year....what the hell is going on?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Seldom ever seen a race like this. Jumbo being naive and Mitchelton Scott going too conservative...they may both pay for it.

Bilbao and Formolo let back in and now around the same time as the other GC boys after having distanced them in the opening TT is a big mistake. Love or loathe them I think it probably true that Team Sky (Inneos) would never have allowed that to happen...the Sky train would surely have shut the door on them...

Roglic and Yates have  thrown away any wiggle room inside two days....a crash, a puncture on the TT and any other number of things could really bite them now.

The race just got real again for some.

0 likes

I picked the wrong sprinters yesterday, went for Ackermann & Demare. Demare was a bad pick as he regularly gets too far back to compete in finishes like that, but making the picks with my heart not my head just now.

Poor team for today only Roglic & Yates likely to do anything. I did consider bringing Nibali in but decided not to use another transfer.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah....rest day over...Fairly straight forward couple of days to come with improved weather and predictability.

I wrote way back somewhere that I was looking forward to Hugh Carthy as a fellow Prestonian..and one to watch. Really doing well but stuck at the wrong side of a couple if crashes sadly for him...good stuff though.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

GC sorted now, just podium lower steps to figure out

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gone all in on the sprinters for two days which leaves me with only 17 transfers left after a pretty awful first week. I'm consoling myself by reflecting that it's the standard of the opposition which is causing my relative decline, but who am I kidding.  winkwinklaugh

0 likes

My team for today -

VIVIANI
EWAN
CONTI
ACKERMANN
DEMARE
CIMOLAI
MOSCHETTI
LONARDI

Did consider bringing Mareczko in for Conti but I'm not convinced Mareczko can score sufficient points to justify a transfer.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Glad it's not just me Steve, I had a dreadful first week. I should have saved transfers, only 16 left and my team looks like Minardi's with Rojas instead of Lonardi.

0 likes

I've still got 27 transfers left.

Hopefully that will allow me to win out in the long run, the last few stages have been awful for me.

0 likes

One change for today, Nizzolo in for the injured Moschetti.

VIVIANI
EWAN
CONTI
ACKERMANN
DEMARE
CIMOLAI
NIZZOLO
LONARDI

I did consider bringing Roglic in for Ackermann but I am hoping Bora has some effective pain killers.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dear oh dear....missed the deadline again by a distance. Did Ackermann even start?

I’m making a right mess of this one. 

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Which makes it super hard to call. This could end up being a really interesting stage. The climb near the end, whilst short, is really steep, and cobbled. I'd love to see some late attacks go over that one.

I've just had a look at 6 transfers I could make that would set me up nicely. Then I would just make a few changes to grab in some KOM chasers and GC men and call it a day. I might limit it to 3 or 4 for tomorrow though just to be on the safe side.

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ewan and Viviani DNS tomorrow imagine Ackermann will do the same.

0 likes

My team for today -

ROGLIC
NIBALI
DE GENDT
MASNADA
DEMARE
CICCONE
CARTHY
VERVAEKE

Mix of break and GC

Demare my outside pick to win the stage.

Pages

Latest Comments