Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Thought i’d try an early post for some pre race thoughts...so i’ll Start..

https://www.cyclingstage.com/giro-2019-route/

Loving the last stage....for some of us  old timers it’s like Laurent Fignon all over again. Do we approve?..or do we like the procession and sprint?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

261 comments

MikaelLie replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Can you guys help me? Im a bit confused if there’s transfers in the Giro (Italians) game, or is there NOT any transfers?

In the two other competitions there is one WITH transfers and one WITHOUT any transfers.

But in the “Italian” game It says both, as far as I can read..?

So do you guys know what is right here???

Dr Winston wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

Comp is open!

Yeah....Have you got the right Izagirre in Andy?...

Condor Andy replied to MikaelLie | 4 years ago
0 likes

MikaelLie wrote:

Can you guys help me? Im a bit confused if there’s transfers in the Giro (Italians) game, or is there NOT any transfers?

In the two other competitions there is one WITH transfers and one WITHOUT any transfers.

I've edited the competition notes now. It's a bonus purist for fun, doesn't count towards anything.

MikaelLie replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

MikaelLie wrote:

I've edited the competition notes now. It's a bonus purist for fun, doesn't count towards anything.

Okay thx Andy.

So there is NO transfers in the “Italian game” right?

And I just saw that Ulissi is missing in that game. He is an Italian as far as I know hehe

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Yeah....Have you got the right Izagirre in Andy?...

Well spotted, thought I had. Fixed now.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

All stages and profiles have now been input into PCS. I’d read it was brutal from stage 13 onwards but it’s actually beyond brutal.

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

It looks like Ineos are talking down the GC and playing for stages, although that could obviously change deeper into the race.

Of the 3 GC options Tao is the only one who seems to have world tour TT pedigree so I'm not sure about the bookies predictions. Sivakov wasn't bad as a junior but I can't see anything about Sosa?

That the TTs are hilly may narrow the gap but with 42km of TT before they hit the mountains, I would have thought that the strongest TT climber type would end up the defacto leader?

Either way though it'll be interesting how it plays out...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Big decision for Ineos now...who will lead the team? Bookies have slashed the odds on all of Sosa, Poels and Hart...with Sosa the shortest odds to win the Giro of those three...Any thoughts?

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Big decision for Ineos now...who will lead the team? Bookies have slashed the odds on all of Sosa, Poels and Hart...with Sosa the shortest odds to win the Giro of those three...Any thoughts?

Pinarello will be very pissed off.

Dunbar has been brought in for Moscon.

The replacement for Bernal is rumoured to be Sosa.

It will be Sosa's 1st GT, TGH & Sivakov rode the Vuelta last year. I think they need somone with more experience to help all the young guys but can't see them bringing anyone out of their TdF squad. osa could be a more sensible choice than Sosa, he could quite possibly go for stage wins and KoM.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Pinarello will be very pissed off.

Dunbar has been brought in for Moscon.

The replacement for Bernal is rumoured to be Sosa.

It will be Sosa's 1st GT, TGH & Sivakov rode the Vuelta last year. I think they need somone with more experience to help all the young guys but can't see them bringing anyone out of their TdF squad. osa could be a more sensible choice than Sosa, he could quite possibly go for stage wins and KoM.

Sosa has the talent...he showed that with his fantastic ride in th tour of Colombia when he mixed it up with Lopez and Quintana...three weeks is a whole other ball game though. Hart is similar in that ge’s Become almost a super domestique. 

I agree they won’t want to split their TDF squad up...so maybe they’ll ride and decide as the race goes on. The race only really heads uphill from stage 13 onwards so they have time. What do you think!

archieboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Now Bernal joins Piti as a non starter, broken collar bone in training apparently .

Dr Winston replied to archieboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

archieboy wrote:

Now Bernal joins Piti as a non starter, broken collar bone in training apparently .

That’s a real shame for him and the race....I was really looking forward to him riding with Roglic and Yates. They’re  three of my favourite riders...very aggressive and always looking for the stage win as well as the overall win and would have been great to have all three together. Big Tom....not quite so exciting...

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
1 like

He's apparently said the pressure of the world's jersey is getting to him. It's why he hasn't been performing to his best so far. Says it's reminiscent of his early career when he was constantly stressed out.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

He's apparently said the pressure of the world's jersey is getting to him. It's why he hasn't been performing to his best so far. Says it's reminiscent of his early career when he was constantly stressed out.

He should give it back to Sagan....losing it hasn't done him much good either.

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Valverde out of the Giro!

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

That's a shame...any reason why?....Have they announced their team?

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

He was injured last week in a training crash.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

He was injured last week in a training crash.

Just read the report. Looks like he’ll be helping Quintana at the TDF instead. Quite a blow for Landa as well really...he could have done with Valverde around as he improves his form....

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
0 likes

I quite like the showpiece city centre stage finishing a GT, but I think yet again hardly any sprinters will finish.  I don't really see why they don't make the time limits more generous on the big mountain stages.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I like there being something to fight for on the last stage, but with how brutal it is from stage 13 onwards, I can't see many sprinters staying. Unless they're guaranteed the points jersey. I'd like there to be an incentive for everyone to stay until the end.

The route as a whole is awesome. I wonder if there's enough to entice some breakaway wins, because we've been lacking many of those for a while.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

I like there being something to fight for on the last stage, but with how brutal it is from stage 13 onwards, I can't see many sprinters staying. Unless they're guaranteed the points jersey. I'd like there to be an incentive for everyone to stay until the end.

The route as a whole is awesome. I wonder if there's enough to entice some breakaway wins, because we've been lacking many of those for a while.

That’s a good point about the sprinters. Nonetheless a finale of a TT can be really exciting. I suppose the race would have to be quite strategically set up for it...maybe a TT as second to last stage is better.

Pages

Latest Comments