Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Continental GP5000 650 Tl - 28mm on 40mm wide rim?

Does anybody know if the above combo would work? 

I have 40mm wide 650b rims and fear that might be too much of a mis-match with the widest 28mm GP5000 option. 

Thanks, 

David. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

Behindthebikesheds- definitely, if the shoe fits, wear it.

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

presumably the external width is 40mm, any idea what the internal is, or tell us what the rim model is?

This is a useful chart from Schwalbe select 'which tyre fits my rim'
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

I would say that yes 28 would be unsuitable for that size rim, Ive got some 28s on a 23mm internal width rim and even on those the profile is getting quite flat. 

You could consider something like a Panaracer Gravel King (pretty much a slick tyre) in 27.5×1.50. 

or the Michelin Wild Run'r Advanced Light in 27.5x1.4 

BehindTheBikesheds replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

bechdan wrote:

presumably the external width is 40mm, any idea what the internal is, or tell us what the rim model is?

This is a useful chart from Schwalbe select 'which tyre fits my rim'
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

I would say that yes 28 would be unsuitable for that size rim, Ive got some 28s on a 23mm internal width rim and even on those the profile is getting quite flat. 

You could consider something like a Panaracer Gravel King (pretty much a slick tyre) in 27.5×1.50. 

or the Michelin Wild Run'r Advanced Light in 27.5x1.4 

That chart like most 'accepted wisdom' is outmoded and ignores real world use, it's a guide only, not something you have to rigidly stick to.

DavidGriffiths | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Just 700c.

28mm widest 650b option strangely. Yes, 30mm internal width; think it would probably work. Seem to be out of stock everywhere in tubeless anyway- I did a crit last night on my gravel bike with 50/40mm G One Speed tyres (thought would inspire cornering confidence-I didn't get dropped on the corners as usual) and was thinking the GP5000 option might be faster (approx 200g lighter per rim) without sacrificing grip.

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought Conti 5000 were available in 32mm or is that just in 700C? Presuming the 40mm is the external width not the internal it might be fine, it'll probably square off the tyre somewhat but until you fit it and see and then ride it then you won't know for sure.

Is there no other road going tyre you could use?

Latest Comments