Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Increasing the mileage

Been into cycling around 18 months or so now. I got into biking to attempt to loose some weight and just become fitter/healthier in general. The birth of my little boy has been the driving force behind this

What with work, a dog, a 20 month old little boy, and a partner with horses - finding the time to get on the bike isnt always the easiest. 

The above aside, Im quite interested in upping my mileage, although this may not be massivley impressive to some, I broke my PB and completed a 46 mile ride over the weekend and was chuffed to bits with it. 

After spending some time on social media, I stumbled accross a sportive called the Tour De Broads which is quite appealing as its an area of the country I really like. My neighbour (who I bike with) suggested we/I attempt the 75 mile course.... Im interested in doing this but perhaps lack the confidence/concerned that its a big step up considering I felt flat as a pancake after a coffee and cake stop (the final 15 miles) all the way home from my recent PB outing! 

Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to prepare/whether id be foolish to attempt the 75 mile route in around 3 months?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Can you drive part of your commute and ride the rest? That's a great way of slowly increasing your ride length, and you can also build in some variety to your routes which will help.

Well done on the 46 - I started in a similar boat to you 5 years ago and a 46 seemed like going to the moon and back.

Based on the fact you were dead with 15 miles to go I'd do one ride a week of 35 miles and tack on ten miles if you feel good after 35 (looping around home in a cloverleaf is a good way of doing this as you always have a bail out option within a few miles)

General rule of thumb is if you can get comfortable doing 50 miles that's all you need to be able to do 75 as a one-off. When I did my first 75 the longest I'd ridden previously was around 50 miles. The last 10 miles were horrible but that was more to do with the profile of the course than the distance. Check the route and see if there's any climbing towards the end, you'll need to pace for that. Being the Broads I guess not - so it will be about finding a pace that suits you and sticking with that. 

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah as above, 2 to 3 commutes per week then a bigger mileage ride on the weekends when you can. You'll be fine!

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

All good comments there-just to add, if you can do 2 commutes a week and one high intensity short ride then you will easily cover 75miles given you can already do 45.  

The HIT (igh intensity) will build speed and power ontop of your growing endurance.  Pick a route say 10 miles with a few small hills-10-30seconds to get over.  Cycle really hard over these hills and then recover, keep doing them until you feel you cant, go home.  Warm up first before going full gas

. . | 4 years ago
2 likes

As long as you can get a decent ride in every week, you shouldn't have any trouble doing 75 miles in 3 months time.  In 3 months I went from not cycling at all to doing 160 miles over two days, and I bet I'm older and fatter than you

Smartstu | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm in a similar boat. Doing a 100 next month and then the Dunwich Dynamo (112ish at night!) in July. Sounds obvious - but I'm just trying to get some long rides in when I can and focus my shorter 20-30 mile rides on going a bit faster or seeking out some hills. Did 62 this weekend and got a couple of 70+ rides penciled in. The 100 (in Norfolk) will defo be a struggle - but it's all good prep for the Dynamo!
Remember, go at your own pace, enjoy the scenery and remember to fuel yourself before and during. See if you can pick a day and see how far you can get - see if your other half will pick you up at the end or get a train back? There are training programs for 100 miles - google it and get some ideas.
The Broads ride is great - you can do it!

tlister replied to Smartstu | 4 years ago
0 likes

Smartstu wrote:

I'm in a similar boat. Doing a 100 next month and then the Dunwich Dynamo (112ish at night!) in July. Sounds obvious - but I'm just trying to get some long rides in when I can and focus my shorter 20-30 mile rides on going a bit faster or seeking out some hills. Did 62 this weekend and got a couple of 70+ rides penciled in. The 100 (in Norfolk) will defo be a struggle - but it's all good prep for the Dynamo! Remember, go at your own pace, enjoy the scenery and remember to fuel yourself before and during. See if you can pick a day and see how far you can get - see if your other half will pick you up at the end or get a train back? There are training programs for 100 miles - google it and get some ideas. The Broads ride is great - you can do it!

Thanks mate, looking into things, dont think ive realised the importance of food and drink for longer rides, watched some of the tour de yorkshire the other day and didnt realise the riders ate whilst riding, guess it makes sence for them to though! 

only going for the 75 mile ride and not the 100! 

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

That is a good commute, and that will get some proper miles into your legs.

If you could up it to 2 or maybe 3 as the weather improves, your levels of fitness will soar.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Can you do some of your commuting by bicycle?

tlister replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes
ktache wrote:

Can you do some of your commuting by bicycle?

Yes, all though I'm not always able to due to being out the office and the commute is approximately a 40mile round trip, trying to commute once per week!

bechdan | 4 years ago
1 like

depends how many times you are going to be riding in that 3 months, If you get out once or twice a week and do quality training then that shouldnt be a problem. Dont set yourself a time goal and allow time for rests and eating.

If your main goal is fitness and health then increasing your milage is not necessarily the way to go about this. Intensity and smart training may be a better focus. Short hilly rides can give more weight loss and fitness than a long slow flat ride. Given your lack of time I would focus on alternating longer leisure rides with shorter faster hilly training rides.

Just becaue you can do 50, 75, 100 miles doesnt make you fitter it just means you can suffer for longer!

Latest Comments