Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Punishments for cyclists that kill compared with drivers question

morning all, I’m sure a couple of weeks ago I read a thread on here where someone was comparing the one rare instance of a cyclist killing someone in comparison to the multitude of drivers who do the same and get away with it. Anyone got a link?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

ChrisB200SX | 4 years ago
1 like

I like how you left out whether the ped was wearing hi-viz and a helmet  1

Legs_Eleven_Wor... replied to ChrisB200SX | 4 years ago
2 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

I like how you left out whether the ped was wearing hi-viz and a helmet  1

That's for v. 2.

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 4 years ago
4 likes

I was thinking of just such a scenario on the way home today.  Or rather, a pair of scenarios, and this was as I was cycling through one of our lovely 'Royal Parks' (which, when the monarchy is abolished and the entire Royal Family is executed, will of course be returned to the people by means of the Revolutionary Council headed by Tavarisch Worcestor). 

In scenario 1, a pedestrian is killed by a car driver. 

The press headline is 'PEDESTRIAN HIT BY CAR' (my emphasis)

The comments on that story would be essentially that pedestrians need to stop walking out in front of cars.

The Met Police website would say: 'A car and a pedestrian were in a collision...'

The driver would almost certainly not be charged.  

The next day, Metropolitan Police PCSOs and staff from the Royal Parks would be out in the Park, handing leaflets to people through walking through.  The leaflets would exhort pedestrians to 'take care whilst crossing the roads inside the Park'.  A joint Royal Parks and Met press release would remind pedestrians of their 'duty of care'.

Now, we turn to scenario 2, a pedestrian is killed by a cyclist.

The press headline is 'PEDESTRIAN MOWN DOWN BY CYCLIST' (my emphasis)

The comments on that story would be that it's time the government 'reigned in' the 'outlaw cyclists' who 'don't pay' for the roads and who all 'think that they own the road' anyway.  

The Met Police website would say, 'A cyclist knocked over a pedestrian'.

The cyclist would be charged with wanton or furious cycling.

The next day, the Metropolitan Police would be out in the park, stopping cyclists and reminding them that pedestrians have priority in the Park.  Those cyclists not wearing hi-viz or helmets would be 'given words of advice'.  A joint Royal Parks and Met press release would remind cyclists that they 'must share the road'.  

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cheers

peted76 | 4 years ago
4 likes

Latest Comments