Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing new wheels

I'm building up by first full carbon road bike (planetx nanolight) and I'm currently trying to decide on my wheels.

I've been offered two different wheelsets at what I think is a pretty good price - Halo Mercury or Remerx alcyon. Both are new and both are £95 but I'm struggling to choose which to go for.

Halos - 30mm rim, 1578g (front 670g rear 908g) black bladed spokes, halo hubs (sound nice  3 ), front is 16 spoke which looks good. Rim weighs 450g.

Remerx - Think 20mm rim but not sure could be less, 1511g  (677g front, 834g rear), silver bladed spokes, unsure on hubs, 24 spoke front. I think the rim on these wiegh 420g.

While the remerx are lighter, the halos are deeper so I'm wondering is the 70g difference about right for the slightly deeper rim?

If it's at all relevant I ride mostly in the peak district and in the alps in the summer, and I'm hoping to do a bit of racing next year. This bike will probably be ridden all year round (though I do fancy building an on one pompetamine as a winter bike if I can find one  7 )

Basically, anyone got any opinions on which might be the better choice, or is there going to be so little difference I should just choose the one I prefer the look of? I'm kinda fancying the halos at the moment for the look and I love the halos on my jump bike so have good experiences with them however the remerx look good too and save 70g.

Link to photos of wheels on bike (I know the fork looks a bit odd lol, I'll probably swap it with a black one at some point)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Tristan.xg | 4 years ago
0 likes

Went for the halos. The reason they’re so cheap is because the guy who’s selling me them is a friend doing my dad a favour, he built the wheels and my dad does his teeth. I’m not a heavy rider so won’t need ridiculously stiff wheels and given that in 3 years or so of riding my last bike (triban 500) in all conditions I didn’t even get through the stock rims I think they’ll be fine. I know halos don’t seem to be as well known for road but in the mtb world they’re regarded as good solid wheels.

Ive since bought a pompetamine to use as a winter bike/commuter so the nanolight shouldn’t get too much use in the winter which is ideal really as the headset is crap and lets in water anyway meaning new bearings every couple of months in the winter.

bobbinogs | 4 years ago
0 likes

As above, you are overthinking this.  They appear to be both much of a muchness and there won't be any tangible real world difference.  24mm/30mm rims, both the same really...1500/1600g, both the same really.  

Aero only gets aero 35-40mm+, and even then you need to be riding at a reasonable tempo.  At this price point, aero means heavy (usually over 1800g)/dull and uninspiring.

Personally, I would be more concerned about getting the right type of wheel given that you are plannign on riding these through the year.  £95 really is peanuts in terms of a pair of wheels.  Frankly, a wheel bag, rim tape and skewers will probably be about the same.  Hence, the folks selling these will have had to make some big compromises somewhere.  16 spokes may (or may not) look good but that is not a lot of spokes.  If you are big and burly then that is a lot to be carrying.  In any case, pop a spoke and it will probably mean a lift home.  Wheel flex will probably be a big factor whether you are burly or not.

The wheels are both reasonably lightweight...given that they cost pence, that usually means the brake tracks will have been milled within a mm of their useful life to look good on stats...look good and last about 6 weeks of winter braking.  When the rims are toast, there will be a very high risk that the wheels will just go in the bin.

Oh, cheap wheels means cheap hubs.  Cheap hubs can mean crap seals/bearings/tolerances with the inevitable replacements down the line.

Personally, I would just stick with the usual brands (shimano R500,  Fulcrum 7LG, etc.) at this incredibly low price point and just be glad that they turn up without needing to be retrued and that they should last until you have some more money to spend on something to get excited about (£300+).

alansmurphy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Black ones...

maviczap | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have some 30mm Halo's but in disc format. Lovely wheels, and my preference, it has a quiet freehub. They look the business.

StraelGuy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I agree with our resident squirrel expert. The deeper Halos would be better and the colour match with the forks is NICE.

Tristan.xg replied to StraelGuy | 4 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

I agree with our resident squirrel expert. The deeper Halos would be better and the colour match with the forks is NICE.

I’m glad you like the fork, I was thinking of changing/ respraying it black but I’ve had a couple of people say they like it so might just keep it.

Tristan.xg | 4 years ago
0 likes

I haven’t started building it up yet so only put that stem on so the forks wouldn’t drop out, hadn’t even noticed it although your right it does look pretty odd like that . I think it’s meant to be the other way round. 

Richbeck | 4 years ago
0 likes

Never mind the wheels - What is your stem pointing at?

ridiculouscyclist replied to Richbeck | 4 years ago
1 like

Richbeck wrote:

Never mind the wheels - What is your stem pointing at?

Think the stem might be upside down

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Pick aero over lightweight, so go for the Halos with the deeper rim.

Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
2 likes

You're overthinking it.

Tristan.xg replied to Argus Tuft | 4 years ago
0 likes

Argus Tuft wrote:

You're overthinking it.

I know lol, but since it’s a choice of two I might as well.

The Gavalier | 4 years ago
1 like

Just buy them both. 

Latest Comments