Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike rack for Evoque? Help!

I recently married, and along with my new wife came her Range Rover Evoque. I'm trying to find a suitable bike rack for hanging two bikes off the rear. I wouldn't have thought it would be so difficult. The plastic aero-trim at the back won't support any weight, and attaching rails to the roof is also going to be problematic.

Any Evoque drivers know of a solution?

Will I live to regret not choosing a different wife with a different car?

(She reliably advises me that her car will comfortably take child seats. And many of them).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Dr_Lex | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Seasucker & my experiences with the two bike “mini-bomber” echo those of nniff, above. Interchangeability is also useful - I have an XC40 on trial this weekend, so can still carry our bikes with no extra effort.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack/roof-racks

Vehicle
LAND ROVER 2018 Range Rover Evoque 5-dr SUV 2011-2018 Normal roof

Options there?

LastBoyScout | 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought you could get internal racks for the Evoque?

Until you get the kids in the way, just put the bikes inside, surely?

nniff | 4 years ago
1 like

You can put a padlock through the QR which locks the bike to the rack.  I have a cable lock (years old, originally for locking boot racks to the car).  It has a padlock at one end, a cable and a steel plate at the other.  The plate goes inside the car and you shut the door on the cable.  I have also run a proper thick bike cable down to one of the car wheels and either parked on it or locked it to the wheel with a D shackle (when parking up for a sleep for a few hours on a French autoroute). 

On the plus side, they're not that common so most villains won't be familiar with them.   On the other hand two blokes with a van can drive up behind a boot rack of bikes and chuck them into the back of the van in 5 seconds armed with nothing more than a pair of scissors

2Loose | 4 years ago
0 likes

Can you leave the bikes securely locked on the Seasuckers when you stop driving for a food\loo break?  The site doesn't seem to give that info either.

nniff | 4 years ago
0 likes

What rjfrussell said - Seasucker

I've given up with endless roofbars, boot racks that won't fit for one reason or another.  Bought a seasucker. Fitting instructions - slap a bit of water or screen wash on the suckers, slap the big set on where you want the front wheel - pump the suckers (10 secs x3).  Put the rear sucker in the right place and pump that (10 secs) .  Tie one crank to a chain stay with a length of old innner tube .  Take off front wheel,  put bike on roof.  QR clamp for front wheel (disc or rim brake), (or bolt through with adaptor) and industrial-grade velcro for the rear.  Done.  From start to finsh, including fitting rack, about 5 minutes.  To take it off - seconds.  Possibly tested beyond the UK speed limit.  Tested by Seasucker to 140mph.  Fits on my wife's BMW Z4 (tin roof, front on roof, rear on boot) and my car (glass roof).  I could probably hang it off the rear window of my car, but have not bothered to try.  All you need is a patch of smooth panel a bit more than a foot square for the front wheel and a patch six inches square for the rear, sensibly in line with the direction of travel.  Won't work on a canvas roof.  If you wanted to attract the rozzers, you could put the front wheel on the bonnet and the rear wheel on the windscreen, or fit it to the doors sticking out sideways....

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

This

https://etowbars.com/uk/Towbars/Range-Rover/Range-Rover-Evoque-towbars/R...

Plus a towbar rack from Atera, Thule, or similar

All in that's going to cost you around a grand, alimony might be cheaper...

I've got an Atera Strada DL3 which is absolutely brilliant - tilt and slide to give access to the boot, takes three bikes plus a fourth on an adapter so plenty of room for, erm, expansion.

In my case I've extended Rule 25 by making sure that the rack cost more than the car 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R6rjjKMMpN6xweRH6

rjfrussell | 4 years ago
1 like

seasucker-  fast, easy, brilliant

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

kil0ran replied to rjfrussell | 4 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

seasucker-  fast, easy, brilliant

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

Man, their website is shite. Not enough pictures of the racks in use, no real guide to fitting. Not even many words explaining how they work. Oh and full of typos.

bechdan | 4 years ago
1 like

towbar and towbar mounted rack - presumably shell be concerned about the way it looks so youd need to go for a towbar with a removable swan neck.
or get a partner with less expensive taste

Latest Comments