Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic akasium rim split

Yesterday whilst riding the rim on my mavic aksium front wheel split causing the wheel to buckle and sending me head over heels into hedge. Wheels have only done 1200 miles. Has anyone else had this? Wheel has been sent back to mavic for investigation. Do you think i could claim from mavic cost of repairs to bike ie scratches to brake leavers torn bar tape etc? Would attach pic if i knew how.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Zazz53 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Happened to me with a set of Krysium wheels - after about 2000km the rim split - Mavic claimed it was wear and tear but then fully rebuilt with a new rim for £40 so I lived with that.

pockstone | 4 years ago
0 likes

Assuming you bought the bike in the UK, as far as I know the Sale of Goods act lays responsibility on the retailer in the first instance. Is it they who have sent the wheel to Mavic?

If not take the whole bike back to where you bought it from and let them argue the toss with Mavic. If you bought the bike already built with those wheels on, then I would suggest it's not the wheel that's failed , but the bike.  

Good luck.

steviep replied to pockstone | 4 years ago
0 likes
pockstone wrote:

Assuming you bought the bike in the UK, as far as I know the Sale of Goods act lays responsibility on the retailer in the first instance. Is it they who have sent the wheel to Mavic?

If not take the whole bike back to where you bought it from and let them argue the toss with Mavic. If you bought the bike already built with those wheels on, then I would suggest it's not the wheel that's failed , but the bike.  

Good luck.

Yes it was bought in uk from Evans. And it is them that have sent wheel back to Mavic. Just trying to get them to give me a wheel to use in the mean time.

JMcL_Ireland | 4 years ago
1 like

Due to the low milage, I'm assuming you've only had it a relatively short time, so you could argue that it's not fit for purpose - I think there's a 2 year statutory guarantee for materials - in Ireland anyway but I think UK is broadly similar. A rim failure could be hard to argue though as they'd probably come back with it being subjected to out of the ordinary abuse which might be hard to counter. No harm having a go though.

I had a Ksyrium rim fail about 18 months ago with a nipple pulling through and like yourself instantly buckled rim. Fortunately it was the back so only led to a skid. In my case the rim had about 10-12,000km on it over often shocking roads so as it didn't owe me too much I never pursued it

steviep replied to JMcL_Ireland | 4 years ago
0 likes
JMcL_Ireland wrote:

Due to the low milage, I'm assuming you've only had it a relatively short time, so you could argue that it's not fit for purpose - I think there's a 2 year statutory guarantee for materials - in Ireland anyway but I think UK is broadly similar. A rim failure could be hard to argue though as they'd probably come back with it being subjected to out of the ordinary abuse which might be hard to counter. No harm having a go though.

I had a Ksyrium rim fail about 18 months ago with a nipple pulling through and like yourself instantly buckled rim. Fortunately it was the back so only led to a skid. In my case the rim had about 10-12,000km on it over often shocking roads so as it didn't owe me too much I never pursued it

I will just wait and see what their response is. Bike was purchased Sept 2018 so less than 12 months old.
A fair bit of cosmetic damage which some people may not care about but the bike looks crap now with scratches on brake levers rear qr bar tape ripped and saddle is scuffed which will all incur cost to replace. Which i feel is Mavics responsibilty to compensate for. But i very much doubt they will.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

I split a rim at the weld battering down a rocky trail on the CX bike. When I set the replacement up tubeless, there were little bubbles coming through the weld. Back in my aerospace days that weld would have failed at NDT, but maybe rims are a different spec.

mikewood | 4 years ago
0 likes

Is that opposite the valve because that will be where the rim is joined together?

steviep replied to mikewood | 4 years ago
0 likes
mikepridmorewood wrote:

Is that opposite the valve because that will be where the rim is joined together?

Yes. Its failed at the rim joint.

mikewood replied to steviep | 4 years ago
0 likes

steviep wrote:
mikepridmorewood wrote:

Yes. Its failed at the rim joint.

That would suggest a manufacturing issue then as the weld should be a strong as the rest of the rim

steviep | 4 years ago
0 likes

Being realistic im not expecting much. But on a more serious note the outcome could have been alot more serious.

bike_food | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes I had this happen to an aksium around 5 years ago, bike was just sat in shed, went to grab it for a ride and found it like it, I was quite happy at the time as it meant I had an excuse to upgrade to the fulcrum racing 3s that are still on that bike, may have a photo somewhere if you want to compare, and yes Mavic weren't interested in reimbursing me.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
3 likes

Call me one of nature's pessimists but it would not surprise me in the least if Mavic's investigation revealed that it was, in fact, all your fault.

Latest Comments