Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear gear cable snapped clean off

Morning everyone!

I hope your morning is going smoother than mine. I recently had an 11-32 cassette installed replacing my 11-28, they added a new chain and new rear mech as well.  Only this morning, my gear cable has snapped/severed clean off, right at the end. Is this a sympton of bad setup? Has anyone else had this problem?

Suggestions welcome, I'm going back to the shop that did it this afternoon. They're a good shop, I don't want to go blaming then for anything withouth second opinion.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

That makes a lot more sense, cheers Peter. Here's hoping you're right.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

From what I can see, it looks like the cable hasn't frayed, so I'm guessing that the cable wasn't tightened sufficiently where it attaches to the derailleur and has been pulled clear (i.e. not snapped). You should be able to verify this by seeing if there's the end of the cable still attached to the derailleur - there will be a small plate and screw (cable anchor bolt) that is meant to hold the end of the cable inner.

If the inner cable has just been pulled from the cable anchor bolt, then the shop didn't tighten it sufficiently. They should be able to just re-attach the cable and set the tension correctly - a 5 minute job.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Very near the rear end, not in the shifter. I'll try and get a picture.

There is no tension in the cable at all.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Where exactly has the gear cable snapped (which end for instance)?

I've only ever had a gear cable snap inside the shifter which is just wear and tear on the cable (I think they're supposed to be changed once a year or so to prevent that happening).

Maybe a picture of the snapped cable would make it more obvious what happened.

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I've only ever had a gear cable snap inside the shifter which is just wear and tear on the cable (I think they're supposed to be changed once a year or so to prevent that happening).

That's a very handy reminder, thank you.

Based on the photo, I agree that it looks like the cable has slipped out of the clamp.

The chain looks a bit dry.

Latest Comments