Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Le Tour

When can we join Le Tour de France?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

190 comments

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

It was a strange week for you with so many transfers left over. It was all about guessing right with the one off picks....Nibali, Bardet and co....always risky and, as we know, in the long run doomed to fail....even Yates conspired to let us down.

I missed a trick not bringing Trentin in, Porte proved to be a bad pick and then Yates did nothing when I brought him in twice.

Maybe I should have brought Politt in for today, I suspect he will go in a late break with someone like Kung and maybe pull off a surprise.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I was the same with Trentin when he was good for four stages in a row...i saw it the night before then had to rush my transfers in the morning and messed up.

Great ride from Greipel...nice to go out with a decent finish if this turns out to be his last GT.

Trentin and Stuyven have been excellent throughout as well...

Stuyven is always consistent in the sprints, that is why I picked him for the final stage over Colbrelli and EBH.

Trentin had a great race and made a wise decision to not challenge for intermediate sprints quite early, that gave him freedom to get in breaks which Colbrelli and Matthews never got. Sagan & Bora will not allow anyone near him in the points competition to get away, and unfortunately Sagan didn't look interested in winning from the break himself after winning stage5.

ASO should change the green jersey format. Maybe 75, 60, 40, 25 for flat stages, making Sagan work harder to collect points in intermediate stages.

I have a sad feeling that MWS coming last on the final stage may cost me a top3 position.

You may be right. I wrote earlier on the forum that i’d Like the intermediate sprints to change...and they’ve actually been a little better in this tour than or GT’s of late...

I miss the days of the red jersey competition. When they scrapped it it was quite a well liked competition before the days of breaks being largely made up of the minor teams just for the advertising. Shaun Kelly won it four times which kinda shows how much more importance the red jersey put on the intermediates...your idea would have the same effect.

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

To have picked Bardet yesterday (a few did) was an excellent gamble.  I had budgeted an extra transfer, but ended up not using it as I could not see where to use it.  I was looking at Bardet, Quintana, Wellens and Porte, but it just seemed a gamble.  It seems clearer today.

Obviously Quintana would have been alright too!

Looks like your extra transfer will be useful picking a replacement for Pinot. frown

Looks like he was taken out by a bee, so so unlucky.

I suspect he is in everyones team, so will be a problem for anyone with few transfers.

I think Andy might regret his last one.

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 4 years ago
0 likes

11waterloo wrote:

Aside from the general chaos (wouldn’t be the TdF without some nonsense), the ‘Pinot Problem’ rears it’s head (if only it was as simple as Noir vs Grigio this evening!) Do we use a transfer we weren’t expecting tomorrow or just suck it up? 

Wishing I hadn’t wasted one on Nibali for the Tourmalet now.......

You absolutely use one. Pinot to a climber tomorrow or Pinot to a sprinter tomorrow. If you prefer to stick to your original plan of using what transfers you have left on the sprinters then you may as well. bring him in early and get the pts from the Green jersey rankings.

I’ll be bringing in a climber....

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

Nonetheless...has anybody got a profile for tomorrow?....is the KOM competition all by dead now or not?

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2019/stage-20/today/profiles

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

11waterloo wrote:

Aside from the general chaos (wouldn’t be the TdF without some nonsense), the ‘Pinot Problem’ rears it’s head (if only it was as simple as Noir vs Grigio this evening!) Do we use a transfer we weren’t expecting tomorrow or just suck it up? 

Wishing I hadn’t wasted one on Nibali for the Tourmalet now.......

You absolutely use one. Pinot to a climber tomorrow or Pinot to a sprinter tomorrow. If you prefer to stick to your original plan of using what transfers you have left on the sprinters then you may as well. bring him in early and get the pts from the Green jersey rankings.

I’ll be bringing in a climber....

Thats my plan but the sprint is after 11 pretty flat km tomorrow & Viviani has to win that to have any chance.....19 points bagged early in stage is tempting 

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

5 threats to GC in the break

Ciccone, Meurisse, Teuns, Pollitt & Bernard.

Interesting to see if Ciccone is going for KoM or the stage.

All the sprint points taken up by the break.

0 likes

That didn't work out too badly considering I didn't bring anyone in.

Meurisse & Wellens collecting a sack full of points. smiley

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I did 5 and 5, but I got Pinot and Thomas so didn't do too badly. My team will likely stay more or less the same over the next few days. I'll swap out a few sprinters for the weekend though and get them back for stages 10 and 11.

0 likes

Groenewegen & Viviani in for Alaphilippe & Wellens

SAGAN
VIVIANI
COLBRELLI
GROENEWEGEN
MATTHEWS
MEURISSE
EWAN
WURTZ SCHMIDT

Now need to figure out what will happen in stages 8 & 9.

chrisdstripes | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've been liberal with my transfers up to now, so set up for minimal activity over the next few days. Rosetto in the break is a bonus...

Sagan, Matthews, Colbrelli
Viviani, Gronewegen
Rosetto, Calmejane, Wellens

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Weee...got an internet connection for an hour or two on my hols...

Funny old game this is. I took out a Alaphillipe yesterday much to my horror after checking the result....just seen the replay and he was outstanding. It seemed like a good gamble that he would slide on that climb with most keeping him...a bit of a balls out transfer that went wrong. I checked Tony’s team to see he made the same “mistake” and felt a lot better about it knowing that he did indeed take the gamble. ...at least if Tony did the same I know there was some merit in it...even if it went wrong.

Minardi probably smartest just sitting on his hands.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wellens has to go on the break again tomorrow ...Ciccone obviously set out for KOM but won’t be allowed any slack now that he’s in yellow...so Wellens needs to make hay doesn’t he?...

0 likes

96 points scored by todays winner. Did anyone get him it?

teckert | 4 years ago
0 likes

brought in Matthews for Benoot.....    indecision no

0 likes

Groenwegen & Viviani in for today & Wednesday.

Not sure they will score today, quite a lot of climbing.

SAGAN
VIVIANI
COLBRELLI
GROENEWEGEN
MATTHEWS
MEURISSE
EWAN
WURTZ SCHMIDT

Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Missed the deadline.  Had it in my head today was the rest day. Duh!

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah...back off my hols and back on the web...pigging hard work this game with very limited internet....20th so far is better than I thought I would be and better than I did on my hols last year.

Not watched any racing really...so...what happened to Groenewegen and Ciccone today?...I resisted the three big sprinters in favour of just two plus Ciccone and a saved transfer.

I went for Viviani and Groenewegen and no Ewan...plus Ciccone (17pts If he stayed where he was)..my plan was sound enough in theory (maybe)...but just went to pot..

Also. WVA really is fantastic, he’s turning into a mini Sagan...do Jumbo even need Groenewegen? I think WVA would have a better chance of green than Dylan...in fact he’d be right up there with Sagan.

JohnnyRemo | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had WVA in since stage 1 and decided yesterday that he was riding purely for the team and wasn't going for stages...

St Date                  Rider in                Rider out
10 Jul 15, 08:21 Elia Viviani          Wout Van Aert

Okay - only cost a couple of points but also a transfer I didn't need to lose. This game is *so* frustrating!

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

One transfer today out goes Ciccone in comes Mathews indecisionindecisionindecision

0 likes

Time to make a billion transfers for the mountains and the TT  4

Sniffer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Expecting teams could be quite different today.

I was torn last night with guessing who would be in the break - I picked Benoot which may work.

Putting in some GC points - Bernal, Ala and Thomas

Kept Colbrelli as the intermediate sprint was in play

and finally guessing who would be a good TT pick too (probably Thomas).

It might be a stage where you can go up or down the rankings quite a bit.

Decided against putting Wellens back in, that may cost me as a gets maximum points on the first two climbs.

Didn't see the Dennis abandon coming.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tony Martin having a total day off.....only question now is will he fit a cafe stop in at some point.

chrisdstripes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Every Tour I tell myself to avoid gambling on TTs, and every Tour I can't resist it. This has to be the nadir though...

Van Aert - crashed when 2nd

Schachmann - crashed when 4th

Kung - crashed when 4th

Thomas could be in trouble...

(Admittedly also had De Gendt and Haga - could've been so good though...)

0 likes

I expected Alaphilippe to keep his jersey today but not like that.

Can he hang on tomorrow?

The final climb should be way too hard for him.

Underperformance from Yates, while Uran & Porte are looking good.

Turning out to be a fantastic TdF.

0 likes

Well it's taken a while, but the last two stages have RUINED my standard game! Totally unecessary transfers for stage 12 and brain farted transfers for the TT. I'd have been better off doing nothing.

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sacrificed Bernal today, so all you betting guys should be getting on him to win today.

1 like

Something incredible going on in this TdF.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

A quite staggering couple of stats on Eurosport today about Kruijswijk. Just like Buchmann I think he’s a fantastic rider. He seems to know that he doesn’t have the legs to actually win many stages but he’s always utterly dependable for a high finish both on the stages an overall.

Eurosport confirmed that today...Amazingly  he has only ever won one stage (tour de Suisse) and one overall win (Arctic tour of Norway 2011 with a really weak field) 

How is that even possible for a rider of that quality.

0 likes

Looks like this TdF could be all about who is and isn't using ketones.

JumboVisma, LottoSoudal, Quickstep are using them, probabbly some others too.

Of the other teams Sky & Sunweb and other teams have said they are not using them becuase of unknown long term health impact.

The miraculous transformation of Alaphilippe into a world class climber does suggest that something is going on.

Pages

Latest Comments