Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pumps removing valve cores

I've got a Hoy mini-pump (very similar to the always well-reviewed Lezyne Road Drive) and it has a tendency to unscrew the valve core on removal. User error? Bloody frustrating at the side of the road, typically because you'll knacker the core removing it from the pump head, resulting in the Walk of Shame and a binned replacement tube. What am I doing wrong? For tubes without removable cores I've also had it bend the valve core.

Tempted to go with a full-size frame pump to replace it - welcome recommendations on that. I'm running 25mm tyres and will need to get them to 100psi as I'm a heavy rider.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Team EPO | 4 years ago
0 likes

Glad it isn't just me being a noob.  have found locktite threadlock stuff really helps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-XRTL1-Removable-fastenings-preventing/dp...

CygnusX1 | 4 years ago
1 like

Glad its not just me! I also run Conti inners (although I may look elsewhere after reading this thread) and have a Lezyne mini pump.

That sinking feeling as you realise the valve core is coming out with the pump hose after  furiously pumping away  for several minutes inflating a tyer at the side of the road (invariably in rain/sleet/biting winds) is horrible.

bike_food | 4 years ago
1 like

Screw on type pumps with removable cores are a recipe for disaster, clamp on type pumps with a hose are much better such as the morph range form topeak.

kookenhaken | 4 years ago
1 like

Lezyne pumps and Conti tubes, yes, a horrible combination.

I ditched the Lezyne pump when the handle came off at a time when I really really didn't need that sort of equipment failure.  Bought a Topeak Race Rocket as a replacement and was pleasently surprised by the valve tool included, neatly tucked away in one end.  It's better and it has no rubber seals that come off in use like the lezyne had.

ibr17xvii | 4 years ago
1 like

I hated the Conti inner tubes for this exact reason.

Now use these:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-air-stop-road-inner-tube/

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Any recommendations for similar quality tubes without removable cores? 

workhard replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Any recommendations for similar quality tubes without removable cores? 

i've gone down the "a tube is a tube is a tube" route. But there's probably a rule about that which I'm now breaking.

Decathlon ones are very round. Evans own brand smell like rancid kippers. Schwalbe is hard to spill correctly.

workhard | 4 years ago
0 likes

Regular problem with Conti removable core tubes and Lezyne style screw on pumps. Plus some screw-on CO2 adapters.  I put threadlock on the cores of my own Conti tubes, and decline to offer roadside assistance to owners of tubes with removable cores. Even nipping the core up with a tool didn't prevent one core coming out this year.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thx Capt Caveman & EG3FTP1 - typically enough I have both of those tools... 

...in the panniers of my other bike #facepalm - mainly because I ride that off road a lot and you're likely to encounter people with Schrader-specific pumps.

Must order a set for the road bike - will be cheaper than a new pump

Eg3ftp1 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Eg3ftp1 | 4 years ago
0 likes

You just need to carry the tiny valve core tightening/replacement tool with you, and use that to give the valve core a good tighten before you screw your pump on. Then it'll stay put when you unscrew your pump after inflation.

Capt Caveman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Solved my Lezyne unscrewing the valve core by carrying a £1.99 valve adapter and screwing that onto the inner tube first.

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just had exactly the same problem with a brand new Conti inner tube last weekend using a Lezeyne Pressure Drive pump (with screw on tube).  The core thread had 2 flats on it so I held that in my teeth and got it as tight as possible (was able to screw it back in - inner tube removed from tyre at this point).  After inflating the tyre I slowly unscrewed the pump tube whilst pulling it away from the rim to avoid the issue of unscrewing the core as well.

Interestingly I could only get 70ish psi with the Lezyne pump which, when not connected to anything, has a lot of 'resistance' due to the rubber connecting hose.  Have bought a simple Topeak Pocket Rocket pump which you have to hold onto the rim with your hand (ie no rubber tube); almost got to 100psi with it so much better than the fancy Lezyne pump.  My LBS had good advice so happy to pay more than the interweb for a new pump.

Latest Comments