Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stripping a carbon frame

I'm sure this topic has been covered extensively before.

I've managed to acquire a vintage carbon bike with 105 (down tube shifters) but the frame has either been rattle can painted or hammerited! I've read plenty about stripping a normal carbon frame but wondered if anybody had any particular advise on how to take the frame back to carbon, safely.

Thanks in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Tamir | 4 years ago
0 likes

Please visit the following links,

http://www.paintlifting.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqj2aalTLOE. (Airplane specific, but can be used on composite bicycle frames).

Good luck

Jackson | 4 years ago
0 likes

Be very careful. I did this to a black-painted Trek that had cracked (and Trek' s sh*t warranty didn't cover) and couldn't tell if I was through the paint until I was most of the way through the carbon. I would echo the comments saying don't try and take it down to the carbon as you'll never achieve the pre-paint bare carbon finish and will probably bugger the frame.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

How are you going to paint it afterwards? I’ve had fun with spraydotbike acrylic rattle cans. A world away from the old school cans. 

Agree with comments above - wet n dry back to a sound smooth surface, no need to go all the way down.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Drinfinity wrote:

How are you going to paint it afterwards? I’ve had fun with spraydotbike acrylic rattle cans. A world away from the old school cans. 

Agree with comments above - wet n dry back to a sound smooth surface, no need to go all the way down.

I wouldn't even bother painting it.

Mybike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just scuff the paint so the new paint has something to bite into  no need to really tke it down to the carbon .

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bear in mind there will probably be a lot of filler inder the paint, where the trapped air from the mould left voids that needed to be filled before painting. It’ll look like big white, green or yellow patches that aren’t paint, so don’t try to sand them out 

Bob's Bikes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wet & dry and lots of elbow grease, be patient don't try to do it all in a day. By using W&D you can keep an eye on how far your progressing and won't bite into the frame which could compromise your safety.

ChrisB200SX | 4 years ago
0 likes

Fine sandpaper should do it? That's what my bodywork guy seemed to suggest for my car's carbon bonnet. Presumably it's just a case of sanding back to the carbon lacquer?

VeloUSA | 4 years ago
0 likes

Try contacting Calfee Design. Craig was a pioneer in carbon frame design & building. Calfee does carbon frame repairs too. email  repairs [at] calfeedesign.com,  online chat  https://calfeedesign.com/   USA PDT.

Latest Comments