Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spinning bottle cage mounts - help please!

Hi all,

I have a problem with the rivnuts on my commuter bike starting to fail. Three, including a pannier rack mount on the stay, are starting to spin in a way that prevents the bolt from tightening. 

I spoke to the LBS, who told me that they don’t do this repair and don’t know who does. Has anyone got experience of successfully replacing rivnuts with brand new ones. Many thanks in advance, it seems like a small problem but for a commuting/touring bike it’s quite significant!

Best wishes, Nikolai

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

richliv | 4 years ago
0 likes

Our LBS in Bradford On Avon did this for my winter bike without an issue so you just have to find a shop that knows their trade  3

Nikolai | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all your replies, I’ve found a shop who say they can try a repair with no promises so we shall see!

Bob's Bikes | 4 years ago
1 like

1, How old is the bike is it a warranty issue? 2, If not A DECENT bike repairer should be able to do this for you unfortunately you haven't given a location.

P.S. I am in Slough (did something wrong in a previous life)

dottigirl | 4 years ago
1 like

Whereabouts are you? 

A few of the bosses on my old Dolce worked loose, and I went around most of SW London, before finding out that Putney Cycles had the kit to do it. 

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have used one of these helicoil inserts to repair a panier fixing on the stays of my touring bike but i have a dead carbon frame sitting in the garage because of a spinning bottle cage mount.  The 5mm insert should do the trick.  £6, job done.

If you go to eBay's UK site and search for "30pc Wire Insert Thread Repair Set Helicoil M5/M6/M8 Metric Recoil Insert Kit DG" it will be the first return, if that doesnt do it the full and very long link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30pc-Wire-Insert-Thread-Repair-Set-Helicoil-M...

Any suggestions out there for repairing a carbon frame insert?

Edit: Just realised I repaired a stripped thread with this kit and not a spinning insert.  Sorry.

I will leave the link up though in case anyone is looking for a helicoil kit.

mtbtomo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Google how to fix it yourself? I think you can fix by using a quick release lever and something to act as a spacer - to crimp the existing rivnut a bit more?

It sounded like Evans Cycles could put new rivnuts in my frame for me if needed but it was more of a warranty job. So I'd perhaps suggest trying another bike shop?

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

My mistake. Above just nuts. Here's a toolkit with nuts.
Note: I'm ignorant. Who knows if a rivot gun the same as a rivnut gun?? I don't.
Yet. Tool search shows tool at automotive shop too, etc.
Nowadays some sellers know their products.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Threaded-Rivet-Insert-Steel-Riveter/dp/B07Q9LT...

Best wishes

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't know.
Just suggestions.

In Australia I found this online.
Guessing like rivots, drill out, replace.

$25 (12 quid) gets a tool and a box of assorted rivnuts in various sizes.

https://twineagleimports.com.au/products/100pc-nutsert-kit-m4-m5-m6-m8-m...

Best luck brother

Latest Comments