Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

tubeless tyre repair fail

Mavic Yksion pro ust.

Punctured Thursday, after losing pressure, it sealed. Seemed ok after pumping up overnight and using Friday.

Saturday I show someone what happened to find the sealant is now leaking. I'm thinking it is really hot, the sealent has melted slightly

I tried the repair using those sticky cores but all that happened was that the pressure pushed the core out after a while and air leaked out.

What did I do wrong ?

Wrong 'cores', wrong sealant?

Do I just get a new tyre or not bother with tubeless? Or do I need a better sealant?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

richliv | 4 years ago
0 likes

I havre the same tyres and had a large hole caused by a sharp stone in the Alps last year. Fixed it with a largeish patch inside and also a bit of flexible superglue from the outside and it's been fine since.

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
1 like

I’ve tried a few sealents now. Found Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex to be really good. 

Westy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Can’t see which sealant you used, maybe I missed it. I didn’t even try the Mavic one with my Ksyriums and Yksions, because I’ve found that Stans Race Sealant is stunningly good. Haven’t had a flat since I started using it about 3 years and 20k miles ago. I did have trouble occasionally with others.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

Managed to get a larger core in by taking the tyre off and pulling it through - still leaks though.

Another tyre coming tomorrow (not Michelin Pro4 Service Course - sorry nniff although the mavics come out well in the bike tyre test https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ ). Already ordered some Stan's NoTubes (sorry Team EPO) and have got a dynaplug mini on the way.

I'll try the neoprene glue on the space hopper !

Team EPO | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have found Orange Sealant works the best for larger tears.  Just remember to swish the wheel around to get sealant on all parts of the wheel ie the sidewalls.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Seal-Endurance-Tubeless-Applicator/dp/B0...

nniff | 4 years ago
0 likes

Before I gave up completely on tubeless on a road bike, I had numerous patches on the inside of the tyres.  The downside is that the liquid sealant works away at the patch and they  come off after a while.  Best plan was to clean all the sealant out, clean the hole up and put a blob of McNett Seamgrip on it and leave that to dry.  Need the hole to be at the lowest point, somewhere warm, for about 12 hours.

Best thing though - throw the bloody things away, put some Michelin Pro4 Service Course on it and stop pretending that the King's new clothes are awesome - they're not - they're full of holes, as you well know....IMHO, of course.

ped | 4 years ago
0 likes

Must've been the day for it: I pinch-flatted a Mavic Yksion pro on Thursday too. Ended up with 2 snakebite ~6mm long cuts, one a few mm from the bead and another ~15mm higher up. I had to put a tube in as the sealant did jack.

I've since put a regular tube patch in place that covers both cuts and that seems to be holding just fine. I used a clean but rough cloth to clean any residual sealant from an area bigger than than the patch before fixing. I've since read that some people put some duct tape over the top of any patch too.

FWIW, this was my first tubeless flat.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just remembered an alternative tubeless repair is to squeeze some rubber glue (e.g. wetsuit repair glue - https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Black-Witch-Neoprene-Adhesive/dp/B000SCJQYQ) into the hole and leave for 24 hours or so. I've also heard of people using superglue to repair tyres, though that sets hard which can cause problems.

BrokenBootneck replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Just remembered an alternative tubeless repair is to squeeze some rubber glue (e.g. wetsuit repair glue - https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Black-Witch-Neoprene-Adhesive/dp/B000SCJQYQ) into the hole and leave for 24 hours or so. I've also heard of people using superglue to repair tyres, though that sets hard which can cause problems.

i fixed a largish hole with flexible superglue, ran that tyre for another year. Sector28s! 

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

There is always the DynaPlug system, I've not used any, but will eventually get some, you know just in case, better than fitting a tube for the larger holes, maybe.

And those anodised pill holders, pricey, but they are so cool.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments.
The smaller core fitted but was pushed out. I've burnt through those ones, so I can't try lower pressure.
The bigger one would not fit.

Hadn't thought about an inside patch, will try that. Hope I have more success than with the space hopper !

BrokenBootneck replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Thanks for the comments. The smaller core fitted but was pushed out. I've burnt through those ones, so I can't try lower pressure. The bigger one would not fit. Hadn't thought about an inside patch, will try that. Hope I have more success than with the space hopper !

try cutting down a larger noodle or two small ones, are you using any glue?

Hirsute replied to BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes
BrokenBootneck wrote:

hirsute wrote:

Thanks for the comments. The smaller core fitted but was pushed out. I've burnt through those ones, so I can't try lower pressure. The bigger one would not fit. Hadn't thought about an inside patch, will try that. Hope I have more success than with the space hopper !

try cutting down a larger noodle or two small ones, are you using any glue?

It was hard enough getting them free of the plastic, let alone trying to trim one!
Used a bit of glue - maybe not enough then.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

If the hole is less than 5mm width then it should seal with just the sealant, but if it's bigger it can be problematic. I've used those "sticky cores" or anchovies and had the same issue with the pressure pushing it out on a larger hole and I've also had success with using one on a smaller hole (though bigger than 5mm), so it might be that your puncture is too big for the anchovy.

You could try a patch on the inside of the tyre instead, though I didn't have much luck when I tried that with a Schwalbe Pro-One - I ended up binning the tyre as I didn't have the patience to keep mucking around with it.

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have used a patch before, just make sure you properly clean the area and you can save the tyre. As to noodles, it depends on the size of the hole, I always carry two sizes one quite thin, one thick one. If it is blowing out possibly it’s a big hole and needs a bigger noodle or a second one. Top tip have them pre loaded in the tool, that way it’s a mega quick process if you need it on a ride. 

I had a similar issue, but now I never go past 80 psi on my 25s, (im 90kg) these are on my hunt wide carbons and 70psi on my 28s. Rides great and no issues. Stick with them, they can be a little frustrating at first while you learn to live with them. After that though they are great. 

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

With car and truck tyres I drill out puncture and plug. Works easy. Easier on truck tyres due to higher pressure and lots more volume. Mushroom shaped plugs are even better but the tyre has to come off to push mushroom trunk through hole then glue then mushroom head to the inside of the tyre, pressure strengthens seal of such.

Can you remove your tyre, collect the remaining sealant, glue a tube patch to the inside of your tyre and reassemble?

Latest Comments