Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Removing scuffs from carbon rims

ARRGHHH!

I've got a light scuff/scratch on my new carbon wheels!! It's a line, a hairs width, but enough for me to notice.

It's very light, merely cosmetic, and hasn't marked the brake track, but is there a way to remove them (I have a Dremel with buffer pad) or do I just live with it and be more careful in future? 

Any advice from the wise?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Battle scars make your bike more special.

keirik | 4 years ago
1 like

you won't want to hear this, but ignore it and move on.

You'll get another next week (don't ask me how I know!)

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ride faster. You won’t notice. 

jaysa | 4 years ago
0 likes

If it's hard edged and a hair's width, I'd prefer to fill it with something. Less risk of making things worse.

Silicone sealant, or a polyurethane varnish maybe with masking tape and a very sharp knife held parallel to the surface to remove excess ?

PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

You could give something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound, or ScratchX a go... this will allow you to polish off a very small amount of the surface and hopefully lessen the appearance of the scratch.

Rubbing by hand will allow you to be more 'topical' and apply just as much pressure as you need, where you want it.

Be careful with a buffer pad/dremel as you may put in more scratches than you take out, or worse.

The process will be a compromise between stopping it catching your eye and not weakening the surface of the wheel.  I would aim to just take the hard edges off the scratch, to the extent you will not be able to easily see it, but could probably still feel it with a fingernail. 

Latest Comments