Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TFL Consultation on 20 mph Speed Limits

Calling all London cyclists or pedestrians.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/streets/20/

Please consider answering the online survey (link at the bottom).  Most of the unrepetent c**ts who drive cars ignore 20 mph limits anyway, but some won't.  And it will at least let the Old Bill nick the occasional reprobate.

Please feel free to forward the f**k out of the above link. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Are these "underspeeded" streets going to be slightly safer than the "overspeeded" ones that seem so very common?

Nat Jas Moe | 4 years ago
1 like

Will this speed limit be enforced on all TfL buses so they can't  speed in said 20 mph zone, as I have been overtaken by them when doing 20 on my bike. Also it has to be enforced on all council vehicles be they refuse collection, housing vehicles etc and wether they are subcontracted out after all Lambeth claims 20 is plenty.  One rule for all, oh and black cabs as they seem to know what the speed limit is for the speed cameras and then once past them forget again.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
0 likes

What is the point of changing the default speed limit, rather than tackle the underlying problem - be that a particular stretch of road with a poor safety record or the drivers involved in incidents who already exceed the speed limit?

Set it at an arbitary 20mph and you have a bunch of roads, currently at a 30 limit with no safety issues, that become grossly 'underspeeded' for no good reason which would then have to go through a protracted and expensive process to get them reclassified as 30s with all the attendent resignage. You have to change a shit load of laws and other statutes, update the Highway code and spend an absolute fortune on paperwork. It has to be applied UK wide for consistency. You would have to go through years of consultations, inform the public of the change and deal with the costly legal challenges that will no doubt arise. That's before you even get into enforcement and buy-in from the public.

Not saying that it couldn't be done, but why bother when where is already a perfectly practicable and established local process for roads deemed to be at particularly high risk of vehicle / pedestrian incidents being restricted to 20mph? Surely far quicker, easier, cheaper and more effectively focussed of resources to create and enforce those zones where they are appropriate and will make the most difference?

If you wanted to focus your energies on a petition, then maybe it should be in making it easier for local residents and road safety groups to apply for 20 zones and guidelines for planning authorities that make the granting of those zones more likely to happen.

arckuk | 4 years ago
3 likes

Thanks for bringing this to my notice. I've filled the f**k out of the online response form.

Htc replied to arckuk | 4 years ago
0 likes

arckuk wrote:

Thanks for bringing this to my notice. I've filled the f**k out of the online response form.

Same, it’s crazy that this hasn’t been implemented across all major city’s. 20mph is more than fast enough, most vehicles spend their time accelerating and breaking their way through the city. Slower but smoother flowing traffic improves quality of life for all, less pollution, noise and danger.

arckuk replied to Htc | 4 years ago
0 likes

Htc wrote:

arckuk wrote:

Same, it’s crazy that this hasn’t been implemented across all major city’s. 20mph is more than fast enough, most vehicles spend their time accelerating and breaking their way through the city. Slower but smoother flowing traffic improves quality of life for all, less pollution, noise and danger.

The repeated acceleration and brake to the back of the next static car or red light is something I mentioned a couple of times in my comments. It's got to be a really inefficient and less fuel conserving way of driving. I know as a cyclist the amount of energy required to get <100 kg moving again after every stop, and I curse the loss of momentum when I brake. I think the average driver is dissociated from this by the ease of pushing the accelerator. When driving (in London, most of the time), I do try to minimise this effect by coasting towards lights rather than braking, and accelerating slowly whilst still trying to avoid creating large gaps between my car and others at junctions. The additional pollution created through this cycle must be significant!

Latest Comments